Any Actual females not female characters play this game?

Jesterhexes

I don't advertise the fact that I'm female in game, why should I? I'm here to play a game and whatever I am behind the screen really doesn't matter. I know my strengths and weaknesses, I avoid pugs and anyone who is insulting goes on ignore and if they use abusive language, they get reported too.

I don't ask for anything and I think it's appalling if other females use their gender to try and gain an advantage. If I'm in need of something, I either earn the credits to pay for items, offer the resources, or go without.

In fact, if females are asking for stuff, then just be warned that I know male players are not beyond rolling a female for that purpose. In fact, I warned a guild member back in SWG that if he used his female Twi Entertainer to get gifts of gear again, I'd remove him.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite honestly, it bothers me a great deal when I think I'm talking to a dude and it's a woman, or I think I'm talking to a woman and it's a dude. My chat with men can be sort of crass, where as if there's a woman present, I'm much more respectful in the way I talk. I feel it's poor form to make dirty jokes in the presence of a woman. Not every woman wants to be treated like a lady, but I'm going to do that by default :p

Quite honestly, the last RL girlfriend I had I met online. Of course in the end she tore my heart out and just left a hole, but that's besides the point. You *can* meet people online, and people playing opposite genders just muddies the water, I feel. W/e you're free to do whatever you want, I just prefer to know who I'm talking to.

Edited by Whatsalightsaver

I play both male and female characters and also every alien race option. I'm a human in real life.

we have so much in common! :D

though I don't think I've played every race yet. I still have to create a sith pure blood. mhhh. need to do that eventually.

and to what the dude above me said:

you know what's bothering .me.??

when people think they have to talk differently to me just because of my .gender.

and yeah, I definitely notice a difference when I play my male chars and when I play my female chars. it's bothering me greatly that other people feel the need to judge me based on something completely irrelevant to my play style, my humour, the way I want to be treated and so on. (that being said I've often been told that my burps are the best so take your 'crude jokes'.. and be sure I know worse)

Edited by amnie

we have so much in common! :D

though I don't think I've played every race yet. I still have to create a sith pure blood. mhhh. need to do that eventually.

and to what the dude above me said:

you know what's bothering .me.??

when people think they have to talk differently to me just because of my .gender.

and yeah, I definitely notice a difference when I play my male chars and when I play my female chars. it's bothering me greatly that other people feel the need to judge me based on something completely irrelevant to my play style, my humour, the way I want to be treated and so on. (that being said I've often been told that my burps are the best so take your 'crude jokes'.. and be sure I know worse)

First off, take it easy. Second, like I said, not every woman wants to be treated respectfully. If you'd rather be treated like a man and have me singe your ears off with sailor speech, that's fine. Third, no one is judging you. Do you feel judged? You feel insulted when people make an effort to treat you respectfully? Maybe the problem is you, not me. I'm sure the feeling is mutual, but you're the exact kind of woman I would have zero interest in.

Edited by Whatsalightsaver

Of course there are females playing the game, the sad part is why they have to hide their gender. Just because we males act so retarded when there's a girl around.

I really don't see why it's like this though, not all women played with their barbie dolls when they were kids, yeah we might have different parts between our legs but that does not change the fact that we can still have the same interests or hobbies.

I'd be a lot happier if the women playing the game would reveal themselves and no one would make a big fuzz about it, but I guess that's only in my little dreamworld eh? =P

*EDIT*

Oh, and for the record. I play a female trooper vanguard, the reason why? Because in wars, the medieval, military etc the women are usually never the 'warriors' and considered underdogs which is why I like playing them and owning people.

Edited by danilioselin

Not exactly the issue though. The thing she's talking about is the double standard. While some, probably most, women seek attention in video games not all do. Things like what she pointed out "husband/boyfriend" being used when asking someone to join a group seems to be seen by men in games as terms used to look for attention while if a guy says "wife/girlfriend" when asking the same question nobody makes any mention of it. So this leads to some women trying to go to greater lengths to hide it and have to actively think about changing word usage just to avoid being called out as seeking attention when it's simply not the case.

This is exactly the problem, the double standard. It's why I don't advertise my gender in game, though I don't exactly hide it either. I play male and female toons, usually 6:2 ratio, and which I pick has roleplay value for the class.

What irritates me that is the things I say and do in chat or in groups etc is fine and not outside the norm until someone "figures out" that I am female and all of a sudden there are issues with the same behaviors everyone else has. Like, oh say, providing non-troll answers to questions in the OOC.

And I have to ask, as a female gamer....I have been gaming since King's Quest. Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Mega Man, Zelda, the early FF games...Gothic, Witcher, Assassin's Creed, any COD or war game, even the newish game Brink all gave as the only avatar choice - male. Think of any title that had only a female avatar and then all the titles with only a male avatar.

Why then is it so strange that females would not find a problem with playing a male character? The strange part is why many men assume that no brain comes with a female one.

Dez

Edited by dezcordero

First off, take it easy. Second, like I said, not every woman wants to be treated respectfully. If you'd rather be treated like a man and have me singe your ears off with sailor speech, that's fine. Third, no one is judging you. Do you feel judged? You feel insulted when people make an effort to treat you respectfully? Maybe the problem is you, not me. I'm sure the feeling is mutual, but you're the exact kind of woman I would have zero interest in.

I don't want to be 'treated like a man', I want to be treated the way I am. and obviously it is judging what you do when you automatically treat someone differently based on their gender. respectful is hardly 'treating like a lady'. you should always treat people respectful.

(interesting insult in the last line, btw.)

I don't use the word "female" as a noun. So I'm not going to. I'm also going to preface this with the following bold statement:

ALL OF THIS IS ANECDATA AND STRIPPED BARE OF IDENTITY POLITICS HOOPLA.

I'm a woman playing this game, playing female characters, and I know plenty of girls and women who play as well. Now, statistically you're going to find more men and boys in the game. As much as it's becoming more and more common for girls and women to play MMOs and other games, men/boys are still the majority and still the target demographic. It sucks, but it's the statistical reality -- that may be why you can't "find" any fellow girl-gamers.

That said as well, given that harassment and the like can and do happen in these contexts, not every girl-gamer is necessarily going to want to "out" themselves. It's a sad state of affairs, but the ol' boys club has been known to suddenly start treating a person differently if they 'come out' as a girl-gamer, or a huge deal gets made once the girl-gamer starts talking in Ventrilo/Mumble/TS and the gameplay gets derailed.

Too, there is this tiny little issue within the girl-gamer circle; in WoW we called them Guild Princesses -- the girl-gamers (or possibly poseurs) who constantly draw attention to the fact that they're a girl or woman, often with the expectation that they'll get some sort of special attention. In some groups, it works, and in others, it's an annoyance. Oftentimes these Guild Princesses draw the ire of their fellow girl-gamers.

So basically, what I'm getting at here is that I can think of two reasons why you can't find your fellow girl-gamers: They don't want the unwelcome attention/criticism of their gameplay/potential harrassment from the neckbeards; nor do they want to be perceived by fellow girl-gamers as That Girl Who Says She's A Girl To Make The Menz Drool.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons beyond that, each of them varied, but don't go expecting all the girls and women who are playing to be in General Chat going HI I'M A GIRL LOOK AT ME I'M A GIRL. You shouldn't make assumptions based on avatars, nor should you feel "disappointed" that that female avatar is played by a man. If you're having a good time playing or chatting or whatever and you feel comfortable, why should that player's gender matter?

We girl-gamers say the guys shouldn't judge us; why judge the guys?

I don't want to be 'treated like a man', I want to be treated the way I am. and obviously it is judging what you do when you automatically treat someone differently based on their gender. respectful is hardly 'treating like a lady'. you should always treat people respectful.

(interesting insult in the last line, btw.)

It's not either or. It's not like I *don't* treat other guys respectfully. Anyone that's grouped with me knows I'm polite, friendly, and usually far more patient than anyone else in the group. I never, NEVER blast people in groups, even when they are wasting my time by being horrible at their class and wiping us. You confuse the term "respectful" with "polite" or "nice". I'm always polite or nice to the people I meet online and offline, but some the things I say online I would not say if a woman was in the room. Being respectful would be the assumption that maybe the woman in guild chat doesn't want to hear the raunchy details about the things I did Saturday night. This makes me sound like I have the dirtiest mind and mouth in the world, but I don't. I'm just making a point using extremes.

It's similar to how I would not want to curse and tell graphic sexual jokes in front of my mother. I respect her, and that's not respectful to say obscene things in front of her.

It wasn't really an insult, I just don't find women like you appealing. I'd rather have my girlfriend encourage me to be a better man and hold me accountable for the things I say and do than for her to be just as bad. The whole "hurr hurr I just burped or farted in vent" is also equally unattractive to me. That's just a personal preference and you may just have a 300 pound truck driver in your future that shares your interests. More power to you.

Why is it weird.. =/

I've always just figured if i'm going to stare at an *** for hours on end, might as well be a females.

I was totally going to post these exact words until I read on and saw that you already wrote it... Dang... So true. So very very true.

Nothin like runnin or riding on the speeder bike with the far right body set in female creation which = dat azz. How can I resist playing a female after that?

41 married female here. Lol I do make female toons in the games I play but they barely ever make it past the first 1/4 of leveling. I make a bunch o male characters to be sure and they will often make it all the way or past middle level (whatever that happens to be for the game in question). They will also typicaly look as much like whomever my current fav "Handsome Actor crush" happens to be. ;p

I am so shallow..... (shame)

It's also why I could never make and keep a male human in WoW after being spoiled by City of Heroes 'athletic but not stupidly Master's of the universe style unless I want it to be' body type. ....

In this one body size 3 is ok.... A little much... but 2 is what 1 should be and by thunder 2 should be middle ground tween what is currently 2 and 3. (grumble) Those are some bloody massive leaps as is.... and body size 1 if left as is, is just horribly wrong withought the ability to make a "Kid/teen" face.

Conan males... hmmmm. Lovely.

CoH males... not bad for a 2002 game with no animation to the faces at all. Nice fully moddable bods though.

Guild wars males... nice... but let my toons jump or its BORING. ;p

WoW human males?.... I'd rather date the male troll. Why I played one. ;)

At least he has character. Oh... and a spetacular voice. If I had infinite funds I'd almost resub just to be able to hear that fantastic voice again.

Cheers!

PS: Have been reminded by a friend one can make an actualy cute/handsome male with LOTR and D &D online. Pardon all. :) This is true. ... Can't recal if those two games had/have a 'do not show helmet' and vanity gear option like Conan, or just plain '5 or more switchable with a click Costume slots (character appearance) cause their dev team didn't tie character stats to gear/appearace in any way' City of heroes style) a way of allowing character customization that SHOULD be used by ALL MMO's henceforth but wont be cause Heores is so damn unknown thanks to it's super hero vs fantasy genre and that it isn't WOW.... Because for in game Oggling as you level purposes it doesn't matter how cute you make Legolamb the elven archer if the "best gear" covers up his pretty mug. ;)

Edited by RogueDemonhunter

Male-who-plays-females here.

I used to not play female characters in games, especially MMOs, as I didn't want to put up with getting hit on. This attitude eventually changed, especially with Bioware's awesome series of RPGs.

So, why do I play female characters now?

Aside from getting to see an aesthetically pleasing avatar while I play, strong female leads are awesome and incredibly sexy. :D

I figured the whole girls not playing games was pretty much dead in the water.

I have been playing games since I was 4 or something, known many girls who did the same and still do.

I generally always roll females, I just prefer customizing the same sex. Always have.

Though I intend to roll a handsome devil of a smuggler at some point.

but some the things I say online I would not say if a woman was in the room. Being respectful would be the assumption that maybe the woman in guild chat doesn't want to hear the raunchy details about the things I did Saturday night. This makes me sound like I have the dirtiest mind and mouth in the world, but I don't. I'm just making a point using extremes.

Well, first of all, why do you think other men want to hear about your exploits? Or whatever it is that you think a woman's ears are too delicate to hear about?

Second, what makes you think that a woman's ears are more delicate about hearing certain things?

The problem more likely is not about your idea about what women feel uncomfortable hearing, and a lot more about what you fear how women will react to you when they hear you saying those things. And mind, this not intended as an attack on you personal, as it seems to me that this fear of being judged is what drives a lot of human behaviour. It is just that men are less used to be judged by women (still), seeing that until fairly recently passtimes like gaming were an exclusive male domain where they did not have to fear being judged.

A century ago wealthy men and women had pretty much no contact outside of certain painfully restricted situations. After dinner the men would retire to the smoking room while the women would go to the parlor (and never the twain shall meet). Of course that only applied to the people rich enough to have dinners and after dinner entertainment. The poor pretty much had to go to bed after dinner because they couldn't afford much in the way of lamp oil or candles, and had to get up before dawn anyway.

And while it is no longer socially acceptable to have such a complete separation of the sexes, we are not used to the new situation where men and women mingle all the time and so we keep looking for our own 'domain'. And yes this applies to women too, as the OP can attest. Her looking for other girl gamers is in a way an attempt to establish her own little women-only space in the game.

Erm... I'm a girl, and I've played video games since I was five or six.

It really doesn't matter to me what gender the people I play with are. I actually prefer playing with all men rather than men and women because women become incredibly competitive with attention and I have seen it rip guilds apart.