Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How do the scammers know I play SWTOR?

QuimboQuambo

And this is exactly the question. How did they get my email when I didn't ever use it for any other game or game related forums at all?

It seems to me you have not read all th replies or completely understood what has been said.

So I have sent you a PPM with a pretty straight forward explanation as to what is the most likely cause of this happening to you.

To make it short:

Nobody targeted you SPECIFICALLY, this was a mail send out to countless random mails, many of which does not even exist.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so you don't really work in security.

They don't need to know your address before they send the email.

I work in security, step aside everyone:

There was a data leak and pro laurent gbagbo forces angered over the victory of his rival alassane ouattara agreed to accept from the ousted pro iranian group T.R.E.E (The Republic Everyone Envies) data was taken from BW.

I got a code H-X (haste xplain) on my celly informing me of the situation.

You really wanna imply they are sending an SWTOR phishing mail to every possible combination of letter forming an email address? That, sir, is BS ;)

See my message above: I'm receiving WoW spam (the same spam, incidentally) on an account I don't even use for WoW.

The spammers don't need to know which account you use here to send you spam.

Edited by imtrick

You linked your email somewhere. Banks sell it. Phone services sell it. Notorious for it. Bill pay services can sell it. Anywhere you type your email in there is a disclaimer. If you do not want to be on our sale list click here.

I got mad at my home phone service Time Warner Cable. 15 minutes after my phone service was started I got my first telemarketing call. I had to call Time Warner to get removed off there sale list.

This is how bad some companies are to make a buck. Time Warner Cable is a multi million dollar company but they still sell peoples information for a couple pennies.

You think any company you sign your information with is any better. Sure some not all.

It seems to me you have not read all th replies or completely understood what has been said.

So I have sent you a PPM with a pretty straight forward explanation as to what is the most likely cause of this happening to you.

To make it short:

Nobody targeted you SPECIFICALLY, this was a mail send out to countless random mails, many of which does not even exist.

I never said they target me specifically, but in the light of recent events regarding other games, this is still a valid question. How can you be sure our data is safe at this moment?

I just got this scam mail:

The thing is: I'm not registered anywhere but this forum with this email account for SWTOR. I have a different email account which I used to register for beta, but used the current one I got the scam mail at for release.

So the only way to know I'm playing SWTOR with this email is through the database on their servers.

What's going on? How did they get to know I'm using this email account for SWTOR?

They don't know you're using this account for SWTOR. It is just broad phishing. I get scam letters for Runescape, a game I have never played and for WoW on an email account that was never tied to WoW. Among other things.

The thing is: I'm not registered anywhere but this forum with this email account for SWTOR. I have a different email account which I used to register for beta, but used the current one I got the scam mail at for release.

So the only way to know I'm playing SWTOR with this email is through the database on their servers.

What's going on? How did they get to know I'm using this email account for SWTOR?

i get them for games i dont even play

You really wanna imply they are sending an SWTOR phishing mail to every possible combination of letter forming an email address? That, sir, is BS ;)

Its not quite as random as that.

They have certain criteria they use which I have no idea what are, and even if I did I would not say what they are for others to abuse.

If you work in security as you say, you should know these things, but you sound very naive, no offense meant here, to me in regards to this matter.

I never said they target me specifically, but in the light of recent events regarding other games, this is still a valid question. How can you be sure our data is safe at this moment?

If you are on the internet, your data isn't safe. Period.

One question: while logged into that "exclusive" account, did you ever do a google/yahoo/ask search for anything relating to Star Wars, The Old Republic, videogames, mmos etc.? If so, that information can and likely was purchased.

They don't know you're using this account for SWTOR. It is just broad phishing. I get scam letters for Runescape, a game I have never played and for WoW on an email account that was never tied to WoW. Among other things.

Wow, so I never got any phishing mail on my other accounts I didn't use for games, did get a few on the accounts I used for games and now, just as I used this one for games as well the first time, I get a phishing mail there too...

The scammers must be really good in guessing ;)

The same way that the scammers know that my 62 year old mom is playing WoW? Here is a hint, my Mom doesn't even know what WoW is.

Wow, so I never got any phishing mail on my other accounts I didn't use for games, did get a few on the accounts I used for games and now, just as I used this one for games as well the first time, I get a phishing mail there too...

The scammers must be really good in guessing ;)

They are just casting their net far and wide, it isn't so much good guessing as it is statistically they will eventually hit right.

If you work in security as you say, you should know these things, but you sound very naive, no offense meant here, to me in regards to this matter.

I do work in security, but that doesn't mean I fight spam in my job. And I'm still not satisfied with those rude answers, trying to imply it would be my fault.

This coincidence is just too peculiar.

That's a good question. I've also wondered how one of my characters keeps getting in game emails about buying credits when my others don't.

Don't mention that, they will tear you apart here and call you names, because it's obviously that BW has a flawless security and everyone else is just stupid ;)

Edited by QuimboQuambo

Don't mention that, they will tear you apart here and call you names, because it's obviously that BW has a flawless security and everyone else is just stupid ;)

There's a difference between being needlessly paranoid and implying there is flawless security. Seriously. I don't even play Runescape, never have. Still get spam emails from it. Welcome to the internet.

I do work in security, but that doesn't mean I fight spam in my job. And I'm still not satisfied with those rude answers, trying to imply it would be my fault.

This coincidence is just too peculiar.

Some will say that its your fault no matter what, ignore those as they dont know what they are talking about.

Those that say that it COULD be your own fault are saying that because this is a fact in many cases, but they are not saying you are one of them.

They dont know you and just know its a possible reason, nothing else.

The most important however is in this case the following:

If it is not your fault as you say, I will give you the benefit of the doubt as I dont know you, then its just for the most part random chance that you got this mails here.

As many have said, these mails are sent out randomly to countless mails, many of these mails does not even exits.

Dont sweat over it, I have gotten similar mails for games I have never even heard of.

The ONLY thing you should do with these mails are NOT to click any links and just delete them.

If you are in doubt, go to the SWTOR site, DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS, and contact customer support.

All this mail is trying to do is to trick you into giving up your account info so they can steal your account.

Odds are good that either BW or EA takes the gathered email address lists and sells them off - Most businesses do this, generating revenue off their contact lists.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

EA will never share your personally identifiable information with third parties without your consent

Source: http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBPRIVACY/US/en/PC/

Section VI. B

Edited by Bansheedragon

And this is exactly the question. How did they get my email when I didn't ever use it for any other game or game related forums at all?

They didnt. They got your email from a list somewhere. They mass mail these out to everyone hoping to find people who play. I get them weekly telling be about my warcraft or battle.net account. Thing is I dont have a battle.net or a warcraft account. I have never tried warcraft.

Bioware could have a leak inside. I remember, prior to launch, they had a leak where someone accidentally sent a "beta invite" e-mail without beta codes to every single registered person.

Their security incompetence is appalling.

OH you're Vorps.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Will you be subscribing since you love swtor so much :) I think you will, or at least will be for at least 6 months because you love posting on forums :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.