The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Severely disappointed in PT DPS as a whole (PvE).

Sykper

So, like many players here who may or may not have been under the same impression, I recall back in the many Bioware 'Lets talk about SWTOR' talks where they chat about the different classes and advanced classes. In one of these talks the developers mentioned (paraphrasing here) that 'While advanced classes do have a different array of skills and playstyles, the overall output of the advanced classes should match its partner, meaning Damage Specs in Mercenary Trees should match Damage Specs in Powertech, if geared appropriately'

So what I got from reading the Bounty hunter Class choices was either a Damage/Tank Bounty Hunter, or a Damage/Healer Bounty Hunter....

40 levels later after my choice, (during the leveling I had felt that something about Pyrotech damage was off, but I digressed) I decided to try out a heroic, some grouping, and what not...

I find Powertech damage LACKING at the very least compared to Mercenary damage. Coupled with the whole 'Adv. Proto' tree being largely garbage to go 31 points into (hence many hybrid PTs go shield/Proto) I can honestly say for the one-handed Powertech DPS, we need more damage!

So allow me to emphasize a few potentially good fixes for this dilemma:

- Increase DoT damage from Incendiary Missile immensely, for the amount of bonus damage a powertech puts into his overall build, the damage from the DoT is far below anything reasonable. However, the heat cost is fine, since this is the typical opening ability for a Pyro-PT to begin his rotation.

- Stronger Thermal Detonator, maybe make it have increased crit chance on mobs under Incendiary Missiles effects, or just increase the flat damage. It really has no place in a rotation of the typical Pyro-PT without causing heat problems, give incentive to use it over Unload!

It feels WEAK playing a Powertech that was not specialized shield-tech, people who do think that Powertechs are not weak should try comparing damage in PvE versus PvP. I KNOW PT damage in PvP is fine, for the amount of tools they have it is just right.

But I cannot be satisfied with a DoT that ticks for under 500 every three seconds, where my Auto-attacks overwhelm the damage.

(As a bit more information, I have Aim > Endurance, Power > Crit, I have 108% Accuracy in Tech, and I am just starting my level 50 gearing up. I want you to tell me with a straight face that 'oh you will get stronger with gear', this isn't a gear issue with 500 bonus damage on my techs, and my DoT every 18 seconds hits for under 2k.)

Oh well, I am just venting at the moment, feel free to criticize if you really think I am wrong, I will take it into account.

Pyro is amazing DPS once you can properly manage the heat to it, and get a good mount of Surge/Crit gear to keep super high rail shots, TDs, RPs up a fair amount of time....

?

AP however, needs a boost :( NOt sure the point of that tree at all still.

Pyro is amazing DPS once you can properly manage the heat to it, and get a good mount of Surge/Crit gear to keep super high rail shots, TDs, RPs up a fair amount of time....

?

^ This. If Pyro did any more damage you'd be tanking. Period.

As it stands I need a Guard (for reduced threat) and a LOT of taunts. Pyro may very well be one of the best DPS specs in the game right now if played right.

?

Agree on all points. As the poster above me mentioned, Pyro already makes tanks just about break their taunt button if they don't put their agro bubble on you. Fantastic damage.

AP needs serious lovin' though. Complete wreck atm. Not in a good way, I mean the designers of this tree made it crash and burn, then pissed on the wreckage.

Edited by Mhak

?

Surge and Crit for the one shot nukes...

I could try that, however the threat levels on PT DPS is very high (as later posts suggest).

I wish there were DPS meters to tally the actual numbers, but even with the managed heat it seems that the Rail Shot/Rocket Punch numbers are still a bit low...

I will go look into it.

Surge and Crit for the one shot nukes...

I could try that, however the threat levels on PT DPS is very high (as later posts suggest).

I wish there were DPS meters to tally the actual numbers, but even with the managed heat it seems that the Rail Shot/Rocket Punch numbers are still a bit low...

I will go look into it.

Your Rocket Punch numbers should be lower (AP has +30% crit damage), but your Rail Shots should be higher due to more penetration and +30% crit damage in Pyro.

Can any of you guys link a good pyro build for 50? thats good for both operations and heroic flashpoints?

There are only 2 builds that I use, and I it is largely based on user preference.

Build 1 :

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsZfhrbzGhMM.1

This build gives the coveted 9% aim, which combined with the sorc buff, gives 14% overall aim. The more gear you have, the better it gets. Even without that 1% crit and 10% damage from the final point missing in Burnout, my crit chance is still ~42% when fully buffed for tech attacks, and my CGC crits for around 900 per tick when the mob is below 30% HP.

Rail shots crit for around 4400 or more, depending on if you have your combat tech set bonus (8% bonus rail shot damage) and if the mobs armor is debuffed. Counting in the automatic tick when it resets CGC, Rail shot does a a whopping 5-6k damage per shot if it crits :).

Rocket Punch is still amazing, even though we are missing the 30% increased crit damage for it found in other trees. Typically crits for around 2500 and has a higher chance to proc rail shot than flame burst.

Flame Bursting is tricky with pyro. It's tempting to keep spamming it, hoping for rail shot procs, but if you do this, you will most likely fail as a pyro. You HAVE to twist in your rapid shots to keep heat around 40, or else you'll build it up too fast and be stuck just "auto attacking".

Regular old Rapid Shots will hit for around 1,000 damage on a burning target, and with a chance to proc an immediate tick of CGC, can do upwards of 2,000 damage per rapid shot.

YES! I know I do not have thermal detonator talented, and that's ok. I find it really hard to twist into a "normal" rotation. And I much prefer 9% more aim now that I am better geared. It really is personal preference, and I still melt mobs.

However, if you are lacking in gear or missing a ton of aim, my recommendation would be to do the build below until you get around 1500 aim.

Build 2 :

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsZfhrbzGhrs.1

The key differences in this build are:

1. No more 9% aim bonus.

2.2% less damage on fire attacks

3. 1% more crit and 10% more bonus damage to incendiary missile and CGC dots to targets below 30% hp

4. We have thermal detonator now.

5. Crits reduce useful cool down times (Kolto Overload and Thermal sensor override)

A ton of people i know prefer this build for raiding, and that's fine. Yes, TD combined with rail shot procs do pack quite a punch, but again it is all user preference.

I have no problem melting mobs with either build, and I still find build 1 more manageable for raiding IMO.