So who left

synkode

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I leave WoW regularly and eventually go back. I left during classic, came back in bc, left during bc, came back in lich king, left during cataclysm. I'll probably be back for mists of pandaria. Just because I don't want to play it all the time doesn't make it a bad game. It just gets old after a while and need to do something new for a bit. I've never left WoW with the intention of leaving permanently. Unlike some people I can understand that games just get old after a while and it's not that they aren't good games anymore.

I'll be trying out GW2 for sure. Looks so promising.

Edited by Shillen

I never played WoW because that game sucks and looks stupid. Also cartoon high fantasy elves and gnomes make me feel like I'm playing a game designed for 12 year olds.

I have no idea how the pandas are going to look, but I bet I'll LOL in real life when I see a screen shot of them.

Apparently, by the posts on this forum, the fact that I never played WoW has contributed greatly to my enjoyment of SWTOR, as I don't have to constantly compare it to WoW and complain all day that this game is not a big enough clone of that other game.

Why do you think your opinion holds weight after the 1st line lol

Thing is, those comparisons were irrelevant for WoW, which had more players after 1 month than had ever played EQ in its entire existance.

If you can bring millions of brand-new players to your game, it doesn't matter how derivative your game is because your players won't know the difference. No other game has had that advantage since WoW.

You act like WoW got all those subscriptions out of thin air. They earned those subscriptions. It's not an advantage. The reason it had far more players than EQ after 1 month was because it was a far better game. They basically took EQ and stripped all the frustrating crap out of it.

Now you look at SWTOR. They took WoW and added frustrating crap to it. See the difference?

edit: examples of frustrating crap SWTOR added: the inflexible UI, having to shout LFG to get groups, long loading screens, long travel times, ability delay, etc. If SWTOR had actually improved on WoW instead of releasing something worse than WoW they might have more subscriptions than WoW right now.

edit2: WoW did have one advantage at release, and that was the Blizzard name brand. But SWTOR has star wars so I call that even.

Edited by Shillen

You act like WoW got all those subscriptions out of thin air. They earned those subscriptions. It's not an advantage. The reason it had far more players than EQ after 1 month was because it was a far better game. They basically took EQ and stripped all the frustrating crap out of it.

Now you look at SWTOR. They took WoW and added frustrating crap to it. See the difference?

edit: examples of frustrating crap SWTOR added: the inflexible UI, having to shout LFG to get groups, long loading screens, long travel times, ability delay, etc. If SWTOR had actually improved on WoW instead of releasing something worse than WoW they might have more subscriptions than WoW right now.

edit2: WoW did have one advantage at release, and that was the Blizzard name brand. But SWTOR has star wars so I call that even.

I disagree.

WoW had all those subscriptions after 1 month because they had a captive audience of 12 million Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo players already loyal to Blizzard and playing on battle.net.

Most of WoW's players had never played ANY MMO before they played WoW. (Why do you think so many players to this day operate on the premise that Blizzard somehow invented the MMO?) They were flooding WoW from other genres. WoW did create millions of MMO'ers out of thin air and this is indisputable. There weren't 4 million MMO'ers in NA across the entire selection of every MMO combined in 2004. In fact, it was still being debated just how viable MMO's were as a format since really only UO and Everquest had managed to maintain more than around 250K members for any length of time and they were very expensive to maintain.

After WoW, the number of players estimated to be playing MMO's nearly tripled in NA, and almost all of those increased numbers came directly from WoW players who had never played an MMO before WoW. EA even mentioned this in one of their investor calls.

TOR has apparently been able to bring in a segment of SPRPG fans who have never played MMO's before, but it's highly debatable how large that segment is or how viable such a segment (people who actually dislike MP games) really is for the long-term success of an MMO. Blizzard was already well-established as a leader in multiplayer games when they released WoW. Bioware has NO reputation as maker of MP games prior to TOR. (Yes, I know NWN had a co-op component. Big difference between that and numeroud RTS games creating a huge existing MP fan base.)

Edited by Mannic

GW2 seems like the most promising and well made MMORPG ever. Award winning art team, award winning developers, innovative ideas/features, beautifully done combat, open worlds with huge cities.

GW2 will be everything TOR isn't.

It's So True! Haven't seen anything bad from ArenaNet. It will be nice to play dynamic events not just to do killing quest in SW.

Here's the thing a lot of people forget when they are building their projection about how a new MMO will do over the long-term.

If you remove WoW from the equation, not a single subscription MMO ever released in NA has maintained 500K subs for more than a few months (and when I say a few, I mean less than 6,) and those that have can be counted on 1 hand. Ultima never reached 500K. Everquest was considered a juggernaut back in its day for peaking at slightly over 500K. EQ2 has never reached those levels. Games like LoTRO, Aion, Warhammer, etc. have managed it only for a month or two, right after release. Rift is an unknown at this time, but the best estimates are that it maintained about 600K for a couple months, and is now down to around 400K, and Rift is a game that was hugely praised at launch and is considered a phenomenal success for an MMO developed by a fairly small developer.

The chances of a new game diminishing to around 250K subs within 1 year are far, FAR greater than a new MMO being anywhere close to 1 million after even three months, and far greater than an MMO maintaining 500K for a even a few months.

Edited by Mannic

With the exception of genre. I hate fantasy and have nerdgasms over sci-fi, which TOR does very well.

Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's a fairy-tale set in space, complete with sword fighting, bowcasters, knights, rogues, magic, and a princess in distress...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.