18-15-8 Shadow Strike all the things PvP spec

Tactleneck

Hello all. I like to play games differently than a lot of people. I typically do not like to follow main stream specs/playstyles because I love to experiment and find fun specs for myself. I used to play WoW quite competitively until PvP was just ruined and boring.

I am still level 40, so I have yet to test the spec to its full potential, but I thought of it and I think it looks quite strong. The premise of the spec is massive damage output via high force regeneration. It has some good utility, damage, and tankiness to it as well. I think it would be viable, but still needs testing. Let me know what ya'll think.

I call this spec, One with the Shadow Strike.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601RIMozMcZhGbRkZcMc.1

Let me know what you guys think :D.

Interesting spec you've composed here.

I'll consent that it certainly maximizes force regeneration. Given that our current regen rate feels slightly sluggish, you'll certainly have no trouble finding abilities to use. I'd assume the damage with this spec will be fair, though not over the top; project will be your chief nuke, with shadow strike offering decent burst when available.

Mind over matter and elusiveness will assist in mobility, but I feel this spec is extremely lacking in utility. With no low slash, instant cast lift, force lift, or sever force, you're essentially limited to moderate damage and good uptime. Overall, this spec seems to be missing key abilities from any of the three trees.

This is all speculation of course. I'd suggest playing around with it and posting your results here.

No. You specced into 3 different techniques. That is not viable. Not to mention you get almost no benefit from even picking up Shadow Technique in that spec.

Good players switch between techniques, rather than mindlessly staying in one and tunnel visioning your target. Maybe you are one of these people who just sits in a form and mash mash mashes, but I am not, child.

I already wreck people with this spec at my level, I have all the same talent points other than any of the points in balance and no shadow form due to my level.

I destroy level 50 assassins 1v1 in a pvp matches, the Shadow Strike spamming works. Not sure why they call shadow strike a situational ability, it is very easy to get behind people. I wreck Sorcs, snipers, etc with ease. You cannot have too much force, and this spec gives you too much force.

I only imagine it gets better with Upheaval.

Edited by Tactleneck

Good players switch between techniques, rather than mindlessly staying in one and tunnel visioning your target. Maybe you are one of these people who just sits in a form and mash mash mashes, but I am not, child.

I already wreck people with this spec at my level, I have all the same talent points other than any of the points in balance and no shadow form due to my level.

I destroy level 50 assassins 1v1 in a pvp matches, the Shadow Strike spamming works. Not sure why they call shadow strike a situational ability, it is very easy to get behind people. I wreck Sorcs, snipers, etc with ease. You cannot have too much force, and this spec gives you too much force.

I only imagine it gets better with Upheaval.

Good players play specs that are viable in situations that they find themselves in most often. Perhaps you often find yourself fighting sub-par players. Switching techniques is VERY expensive, and if you waste time and force doing that against a competent player, you will get wrecked. PvP isn't "balanced" around any level other than 50.

Spamming anything works against terrible players. You can not take down an equally geared/skilled players with Shadow Strike spam. I don't care how good your regen is, I don't care how good you think you are at getting behind people. You won't get behind me and you won't get behind any other decent player.

I'm so happy that when bolstered you can kill level 50's. That's not really hard to do. Being 50 is not an indication of skill. Maybe look for a server with competition? Don't get defensive when someone critiques your spec. Maybe it works for you, but it is not in any way optimal for endgame PvP against skilled players.

Edited by The_Crymoor

Good players play specs that are viable in situations that they find themselves in most often. Perhaps you often find yourself fighting sub-par players. Switching techniques is VERY expensive, and if you waste time and force doing that against a competent player, you will get wrecked. PvP isn't "balanced" around any level other than 50.

Spamming anything works against terrible players. You can not take down an equally geared/skilled players with Shadow Strike spam. I don't care how good your regen is, I don't care how good you think you are at getting behind people. You won't get behind me and you won't get behind any other decent player.

I'm so happy that when bolstered you can kill level 50's. That's not really hard to do. Being 50 is not an indication of skill. Maybe look for a server with competition? Don't get defensive when someone critiques your spec. Maybe it works for you, but it is not in any way optimal for endgame PvP against skilled players.

Well put dude. For the one before him, who says only terrible players stay in the same technique all the time ... that is terribly wrong. It is EXPENSIVE to switch techniques, you are blowing a GCD on something that doesn't do damage to the enemy or control him. These are used in EXTREME situtations, such as I MUST get into combat stance to guard the healer that's about to die, guard the ball so he can score, get that last bit of armor so I don't die.

i been thinking bout something similar, hard hittin double strike and a critting project with a 50% xtra on top. respec is cheap so i might give it a try.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcrozMZhGbMkZcMcMb.1

And about above poster said about not viable, anytihgns viable really it all comes down to the player. And mindlessly following guides aint EVER going to make you a good player, a decent but never good.

im using this atm and im absolutly wrecking people in the BGs.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcRokMcZGGbRkRM0z.1

Edited by DarthPegleg

Hello all. I like to play games differently than a lot of people. I typically do not like to follow main stream specs/playstyles because I love to experiment and find fun specs for myself. I used to play WoW quite competitively until PvP was just ruined and boring.

I am still level 40, so I have yet to test the spec to its full potential, but I thought of it and I think it looks quite strong. The premise of the spec is massive damage output via high force regeneration. It has some good utility, damage, and tankiness to it as well. I think it would be viable, but still needs testing. Let me know what ya'll think.

I call this spec, One with the Shadow Strike.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601RIMozMcZhGbRkZcMc.1

Let me know what you guys think :D.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcrozMcZhGbMzZf0cM.1

Its best to focus on 1 "technique imo"

This covers everything you "wanted" with that other spec,

Your never going to switch to Force Tech to apply the DOT, 2k dmg for 50 Force (change), plus the cost of breach is just god awful. If you wanted to go with ST instead of CT, just change the point allotment.

In this spec staying in Combat Tech makes the most sense. Gets all the defense abilities, and cool down reductions (speed, speed removes

Even though I am level 41, I have 0 problems getting behind people in full 50 epics and are in full premades. It is not hard to get behind people, at all. Maybe people with bad/laggy computers have that problem, but it is not one for me. My spec may be flawed because it does not have the higher tier talents that it needs, but the issue is never getting shadow strike off. l2p i guess.

Even though I am level 41, I have 0 problems getting behind people in full 50 epics and are in full premades. It is not hard to get behind people, at all. Maybe people with bad/laggy computers have that problem, but it is not one for me. My spec may be flawed because it does not have the higher tier talents that it needs, but the issue is never getting shadow strike off. l2p i guess.

I'm not sure your brain is fully functioning. Being high level does not effect your ability to properly strafe/cc your enemy. If I have my CC break off CD, you WILL NOT get behind me. Therefor, Shadow Strike can only be guarunteed to hit when your target is hard CC'ed or slowed and you are 100% able to get behind your target and fire off an ability before the CC wears off. So here we see the problem, your build you claim is RELIANT on Shadow Strike, an ability which is not spammable in organized PvP with skilled players.

Additionally, one who posts a build like that on the forums and expects positive feedback should not under any circumstance be telling others to l2p.

Regardless of whether this is an actually viable build, you still need to get rid of the 2 points spent on force focus in the balance tree.

Before you start telling me to l2p I'll show you my reasoning...

Switching techniques costs you 50 force and 1gcd, you then shoot another gcd for force breach (I assume, else you'd be even crazier to waste these two points). Whilst it's a pretty nice DoT it is not going to put out enough damage to compensate for 2 gcd's worth of damage you could have done else where, aka. a shadow tech force breach and shadow strike.

I'm also willing to bet that if you seriously are just pressing shadow strike over and over you are going to still run out of force regardless of the effort you've put in. I'd do the math but it just seems so blatantly obvious that I won't bother. The only force ease you get is a once every 10 second proc of Infiltration Tactics, which will not do you a world of good if you aren't using it correctly.

I also wonder whether you are utilizing the full (useful part) of circling shadows spec, if you are then I assume you would consider a rotation akin to a standard inf shadow; DS, DS, Project, SS, etc proc depending. If this is the case you'd still be smarter going full inf spec, upheaval being the best around atm imho. Being able to take a few more hits becomes a moot point if your spec puts out more efficient dps; it's either burn the target before they burn you (preferable for WZ's as it's pretty easy to get ganged up on) or have a longer, lower damaging fight that will not help you or the team in achieving a decent score or victory.

I like the idea behind the spec and would even contemplate testing it if it wasn't just a 'spam single attack' type of build, wee see enough tracer missiles from BH's and Force Lightnings from Socs let's not try and make a build to do the same with shadows, please?

Good try at making an original build, I do wish the Shadow skill trees offered more flexibility but with our force woes and need for CC's etc you really do benefit from getting the higher tier talents.

any skilled shadow will know that the op's spec is complete rubbish. But if he wants to run around spamming one button thinking he is the man and figured out an op spec all by himself......then more power to his own self indulged ignorance.

Ive spent over a mill credits trying out numerous specs. 0/31/10 is a good one however......

.......look no further. Bar none the best warzone spec is 31/0/10. Full dps stalker gear with a sheild. No tank gear. Basically u will have high sustained damage. Low burst, but high survivability. Plus the best aoe.

any skilled shadow will know that the op's spec is complete rubbish. But if he wants to run around spamming one button thinking he is the man and figured out an op spec all by himself......then more power to his own self indulged ignorance.

Ive spent over a mill credits trying out numerous specs. 0/31/10 is a good one however......

.......look no further. Bar none the best warzone spec is 31/0/10. Full dps stalker gear with a sheild. No tank gear. Basically u will have high sustained damage. Low burst, but high survivability. Plus the best aoe.

I'll have to try 31/0/10 in full stalker, very interesting! It's getting damage buffs and aoe snare next patch too :)

I assume it'd look something like:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601RcrokrskrsZZf0cM.1

Why would so many people try to answer OP if he's not ready to discuss anything and calls everyone who trys to help a bad player.

OP thinks while switching techniques continiously, he can SS spam for the win.

Why even bother...

Why would so many people try to answer OP if he's not ready to discuss anything and calls everyone who trys to help a bad player.

OP thinks while switching techniques continiously, he can SS spam for the win.

Why even bother...

you just have to post in every thread do ya? even if you got nothing to add................

And the OP claiming he spent millions to respec........you know the cost resetts each week? ops u didnt know that after respeccing for millions........?

Edited by DarthPegleg

Tell us what is so great about your spec o-mighty one :rolleyes:

Basically, it looks like a 23/12/6 (rotations/damage/utility skills are pretty similar) with some pros that are unique to infiltration specs (mainly permaslow and low slash that is better than spinning kick).

Certainly better rounded on bursty offense (which is probably more important than the shielding talents) but you still miss the utility and range that force pull gives you IMO.

So, if you find yourself not using force pull that much (or effectively enough to make it seem mandatory nonetheless), than this spec should be one of the best combat tec spec for you to try.

Edited by Sogar

Basically, it looks like a 23/12/6 (rotations/damage/utility skills are pretty similar) with some pros that are unique to infiltration specs (mainly permaslow and low slash that is better than spinning kick).

Certainly better rounded on bursty offense (which is probably more important than the shielding talents) but you still miss the utility and range that force pull gives you IMO.

So, if you find yourself not using force pull that much (or effectively enough to make it seem mandatory nonetheless), than this spec should be one of the best combat tec spec for you to try.

Is that using the in-game X/X/X layout or the talent calculator layout?

But with my 12 Kinetic / 21 Infiltration / 8 Balance I get reduced Mind Snap, Force Speed, Cloak, Force of Will and Kinetic ward while still keeping the Infiltration spec DPS rotation.