SWG vs SWTOR Where is the Immersion?

QQRagequitQQ

For those who played SWG back in the day. Remember the immersion you felt in the game and with other players? Why did SWTOR go in the opposite direction and remove every fun, sandboxy, interactive feature that so many people loved in SWG?

In SWG we had:

-Player built housing and stores

-Custom NPC merchants players could place anywhere

-Pet taming, you could wander around seeking out fab pets and attempt to train them

-Resource surveying in maps to find areas to erect harvesting equipment

-In cantinas you actually interacted with other players through dancing

-Item decay that added a purpose to player crafted equipment

Etc, Etc...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this isn't a sandbox mmo....and honestly SWG wasn't a sandbox either, nobody treated it as such. Oh sure...a few differences, but at the end of the day you are still grinding for credits, leveling up, grinding for gear, running that instance, crafting that object etc etc. No one or hardly anyone ever used the storyteller vendor to make their own content, player created cities just became empty over time and cluttered the planets. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

because SWG and Sw:ToR were made by different companies and bioware focuses more on the story content and immersion through that sense, just look at their past games. Also, some of the things you suggested and many of the other things in SWG were not originally in the game.. heck, SW:ToR has speeder bikes that you can access etc, SWG didn't even have that when the game wa released.. and if you had a a mission 10-20k away, you were walking it.

and the game has only just been released, asked the same question in 2-4 years from now for i am sure they will add content in that time frame, like they did SWG.

Your immersion "feel" from SWG comes from rose colored glasses. First MMOs are always immersive because you aren't used to the game type.

I would say, if anything this game is MORE immersive than any other MMO I've ever played.

Edited by Arkerus

SWGs is the most underrated game of all time. Prob the best game ever made ran y the worst people to ever run a game.

That being said I loved SWGs from day one till the end. I also Loved Warcraft from day one till the third expansion.

I am not enjoying swtor. I will not be renewing ever.

Also, some of the things you suggested and many of the other things in SWG were not originally in the game..

and the game has only just been released, asked the same question in 2-4 years from now for i am sure they will add content in that time frame, like they did SWG.

I played SWG from launch and yes, all of the things I mentioned were already in the game from the very start.

This isn't Galaxies or even a sequel to Galaxies or even made by the same company as Galaxies. This is The Old Republic and the only thing the two have in come are Star Wars. If you try hard Enough i'M sUre you can find a game like SWG.

I loved SWG , grinded Jedi 27 professions , but don't forget they changed the game because of WoW , most everyone left , so lets not pretend like it was a paradise , MMO's have changed not saying i like it but thats the realty of the situation. Edited by Selaik

Because they wanted to capitalize on WoWs success, like every other bloody MMO.

SWG, while a great game, was never super amazingly popular. Yeah, it was quite profitable and had a lot of subs for it's time, but it wasn't some juggernaught. EA and Bioware want what WoW has, same as every other company that pumps out an MMO. They want an easy cashcow they can milk for years on end. That's why the game is essentially a straight port of WoW with identical classes, abilities, gameplay, looks, etc. Makes me sad because SWG was amazing, could spend months on that just rolling with your guild, decorating your house, or raiding anchorhead.

For those who played SWG back in the day. Remember the immersion you felt in the game and with other players? Why did SWTOR go in the opposite direction and remove every fun, sandboxy, interactive feature that so many people loved in SWG?

In SWG we had:

-Pet taming, you could wander around seeking out fab pets and attempt to train them

Etc, Etc...

Yes, galaxies was great (pre- NGE, after that it sux bad) in many ways including everything stated in the OP. And it would be fun having some of those features especially the space part. I loved space in swg.

But this is a totally different game. Amd while it doesn't have those features, you have to give it time since it just went live. Hopefully, in the near future they begin to put in similar content.

BioWare is a good company, much better then SoE, so I'm hopeful they'll implement more and better content. They did say they're planning on adding more stuff including for space.

In time this game can be really amazing.

Edited by RikHar

There was real immersion in SWG. You LIVED in the Star Wars world. In SW:ToR, you are the character on a train track with a story. You don't live in the world, you are on a ride.

I prefer the immersion through the game world, not the story.

I do miss the day/night, the housing, the customization, the real world PvP and the liberty. In the current game, I only log for dailies since there isn't anything to do while waiting for raids. Edited by Dreossk

Your immersion "feel" from SWG comes from rose colored glasses. First MMOs are always immersive because you aren't used the game type.

I would say, if anything this game is MORE immersive than any other MMO I've ever played.

Umm, I never said SWG was my first mmo. I am in my late 30s and have played mmos for well over 10 years. I know what makes an mmo good. I have played many of the classic old school mmos in hardcore no-life mode back in the day, before I had a business and a life, so I am not seeing anything through rose colored glasses.

Compared to all other mmos I have played, this game has the least community immersion, and personally I consider it a single player game on a multiplayer server.

Ask anyone here who has played UO, EQ or DAOC.

There was real immersion in SWG. You LIVED in the Star Wars world. In SW:ToR, you are the character on a train track with a story. You don't live in the world, you are on a ride.

I support this. TOR feels like a singleplayer game, you're not playing your character, you're playing someone elses character. MMOs are about putting yourself in that universe, TOR doesn't capture that. SWG captured that perfectly. Could be anything from some guy who made pies for a living, to a doctor buffing people, to an entertainer chatting it up in a cantina, to a bounty hunter hunting down jedi filth, to anything really. You made your own story, your own life in that universe. You can't get much more immersive then that, regardless of how much voice acting you add.

If you prefer sandbox mmos, why did you buy a themepark mmo in the first place?

In SWG we had:

Etc, Etc...

You do know that SWG failed and failed hard, right?