The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Obviously you are using external improval (as we can see in your FPS indicator, you are using either Nvidia or ATI tools). Now, please, DISABLE all an.filtering, antialiasing, mipmaping, LOD, etc from your card.

Why? Because we want to see the ACTUAL graphics the game offers, not the ones with make up all over.

And you will get images like the ones linked in the first post.

The fact is: With ALL SETTINGS high this game looks like some 2005 free MMO

No antialising

Crappy character textures

FPS issues even on high end rigs

LOL wth! Should I put my old Voodoo 2 card in for you as well? Maybe I should set it to 640x480 resolution because some people are playing on 12" crt monitors. Or perhaps monochrome would be fairer?

Is this seriously your argument or are you kinda wishing you didnt just post that?

Edited by jadel

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no excuse to not release the high res textures as an option with a warning that it may affect performance. Completely unacceptable.

"Medium" textures look utterly terrible. Ground clutter looks abysmal. Shadows look like pixelated nightmares. This game looks like an absolute joke when you compare it to other games, especially Rift.

So, if I understand this right - giving people the option to run the game with high rez textures would only increase the load on the client machine and have no effect on server stability? What good sense is there then in restricting this option from the players?

By all means warn the player that by choosing the high rez option they may affect their gameplay, but some of us have spent quite a lot of money on high end computers - only to have them running at half throttle. My PC doesn't even break a sweat with everything on "high" right now.

Edited by Tolil

LOL wth! Should I put my old Voodoo 2 card in for you as well? Maybe I should set it to 640x480 resolution because some people are playing on 12" crt monitors. Or perhaps monochrome would be fairer?

Is this seriously your argument or you kinda wishing you didnt just post that?

I don't know if laugh or cry.

If I buy a fancy car and it's full of scratches, bumps... I'm getting PISSED, ofc.

If some guy shows me the same car AFTER he took to the mechanic and got it somewhat fixed and tells me "the car is ok", Im gonna get MAD.

I want you to disable your EXTERNAL improvals to take your screenshots because they are EXTERNAL, they don't belong to the game, and we are complaining because we want GAME's graphics to look as cool as they look in beta (and as they advertise) without the "digital make up" of the graphic card.

Of course I can FORCE 16xQ antialiasing and ans.filtering, mipmaping and lod to the game, but that is, the game DOESN'T look like that, I'm FORCING it to look better.

If you don't get it you are even just a fanboy with no wits of his own.

Edited by Bolthus

If I buy a fancy car and it's full of scratches, bumps... I'm getting PISSED, ofc.

If some guy shows me the same car AFTER he took to the mechanic and got it somewhat fixed and tells me "the car is ok", Im gonna get MAD.

I want you to disable your EXTERNAL improvals to take your screenshots because they are EXTERNAL, they don't belong to the game, and we are complaining because we want the GAME's graphics to look as cool as they look in beta (and as they advertise) without the "digital make up" of the graphic car.

Of course I can FORCE 16xQ antialiasing and ans.filtering, mipmaping and lod to the game, but that is, the game DOESN'T look like than, I'm FORCING it to look better.

Joke?

Obviously you are using external improval (as we can see in your FPS indicator, you are using either Nvidia or ATI tools). Now, please, DISABLE all an.filtering, antialiasing, mipmaping, LOD, etc from your card.

Why? Because we want to see the ACTUAL graphics the game offers, not the ones with make up all over.

And you will get images like the ones linked in the first post.

The fact is: With ALL SETTINGS high this game looks like some 2005 free MMO

No antialising

Crappy character textures

FPS issues even on high end rigs

It doesn't matter -- even if he is running any out-of-game GPU rendering tricks, he still only posts distant shots of nearly all-white, limited detail trooper armor. Probably because no amount of PC shenanigans will enable a texture quality that is disabled at the engine level of the game, rather than at the user's discretion.

No trick he could pull will put a post-2004 texture quality into his game, so all we get are the same repeated "Show me proof! That's not proof! My game looks better than yours!" and distant screenshots of solid white armor.

Seeing as how the atlas garbage packages and compresses textures together, naturally the images that suffer the most from it are the most varied, detailed textures. You take something pure white with a straight line on it and it doesn't look nearly as terrible. You put something with multiple colors, shades of colors, and non-straight lines (in other words, every robe, ever, among other things) through that atlas junk and it comes out the other end looking like dog barf. There's no way to make it not look like dog barf, unless you just equip plainer armor.

Point me to the solid-color Jedi robes, please.

I want you to disable your EXTERNAL improvals to take your screenshots because they are EXTERNAL, they don't belong to the game, and we are complaining because we want GAME's graphics to look as cool as they look in beta (and as they advertise) without the "digital make up" of the graphic card.

Of course I can FORCE 16xQ antialiasing and ans.filtering, mipmaping and lod to the game, but that is, the game DOESN'T look like than, I'm FORCING it to look better.

...im not sure what you are complaining about. So you can make the game look better than the in game setting will allow, but you shouldnt have to? This seems like an awful stretch for an argument. Yes the high res textures were available in the beta, which by the way was full of disclaimers about being subject to game etc, but there were also tons of problems with textures not loading properly or not at all.

Bioware has already stated that they are working on ways to appease those of us with more high end computers who want more high res textures, but its not going to be an over night addition. If it means that much to you just cancel your sub until they fix the problem... The devs are aware that people want this "issue" fixed, now all you can do is cancel and wait, or play and wait. It will likely take the same amount of time to get settled no matter what you decide to do.

The devs are aware that people want this "issue" fixed

Yeah, great fix they gave us calling subscribers morons by naming what was medium to high and removing the medium option, nevermind stating that what we saw was a bug.

Edited by mesha

...im not sure what you are complaining about. So you can make the game look better than the in game setting will allow, but you shouldnt have to? This seems like an awful stretch for an argument. Yes the high res textures were available in the beta, which by the way was full of disclaimers about being subject to game etc, but there were also tons of problems with textures not loading properly or not at all.

Bioware has already stated that they are working on ways to appease those of us with more high end computers who want more high res textures, but its not going to be an over night addition. If it means that much to you just cancel your sub until they fix the problem... The devs are aware that people want this "issue" fixed, now all you can do is cancel and wait, or play and wait. It will likely take the same amount of time to get settled no matter what you decide to do.

I'm complaining about my card "fixing" (and not entirely) what the game should offer.

SWTOR SHOULD look as in the beta and offer high quality graphics WITHOUT any external improval.

And I can't believe some people are too thick to understand that.

that would have made sense if the game came with prerendered graphics (a good example would be Myst IV). Disabling those would make a lot of games look like bantha's doo doo. I still enjoy Warcraft 3 and it's far from a decent game (graphics point of view).

Here, around my parts, we have a saying: "So you want really cool graphics? Sure, np. Just stick your head out the window and have a good look."

SWTOR SHOULD look as in the beta and offer high quality graphics WITHOUT any external improval.

THIS.

Oh, maybe besides one fact: improving graphics through GPU drivers doesn't make a miracles. Certainly doesn't fix the low-resolution textures we are forced to watch everywhere (and to be more exact: even in cutscenes the textures on armors are far from being actually sharp - they are stretched low-res textures, only: not as low-res as the textures in normal gameplay).

In the end, this game will be all about getting awesome gear, looking sh-weet and just bask in the obvious admiration of the lesser geared. You dont feel like showing off when your outfitt looks unfocused and muddy like partially undigested babyfood.

I love playing this game and I'm crazy about the voiceacting and the well-written scripts and in the beginning that was all I cared about (after 5 years of WoW, this is a big upgrade).

Now, whenever my char is in a cutscene (where she's shown with high res. textures) I can't help study the detail of the armor and compare it to the gameplay look.

It sucks.

But, playing without high resolution textures and missing out on looking fabulous is only one side of this. The other side is the fact that players were led to belive the game would be in high resolution.

My husband was in the beta( wich most of you know, had high res textures) and the game ran smoothly and beautifully with all graphics on high. The beta was open for all who wished to try out the game before release and although nothing in a beta is carved in stone, it seemed obvious that the game was meant to be in high resolution.

I can easily see how this can be seen as false advertising and why so many is so angry with BW (myself included).

SWtor was clearly supposed to be in high resolution and the fact that BW wont admit that only makes people more angry.

Oh, ok, this explains everything.

Well, imagine that in the world of PC gaming, EVEN MMOs happen to have sharp graphics and actually looks stunning in various details.

Customers were mislead here to believe that game is better than what they actually got. That's something you just do not do, regardless of what PR says about performance.

If you don't care about graphics - go ahead playing rougelike games, or your xbox gamis 720p 24 fps stretched to 1080p without any AA and low-res textures. Out here in the rest of the world graphics actually DO matter.

I realise graphics in the PC world have greater precedence then in the console world, but still the amount of QQ over this issue is unbelievable. It's not terribly game breaking is it? Is it not possible to enjoy the game with albeit slightly lower res textures? You people make it look like the graphics is the #1 most important thing about this game, which even in the PC world shouldn't be true.

Maybe it's just because I'm a console gamer by heart and couldn't care less about some low resolution textures

PC gamers expect more from their games, especially visually. Especially when the content was in beta and it was indicated that the removal was only temporary. Especially when all marketing materials show a quality of visuals that are 100% impossible for the player to attempt to replicate. Especially when every other major competitor in the genre has graphics that beat The Blurry Republic black and blue, and then date its mom.

That's cool that it doesn't bother you. Different strokes, different folks. When some of us pay for a shiny-looking Y, we aren't happy when that Y turns out to be grossly inferior to X, W, V, U, and a whole mess of other letters, despite being newer and still costing the same price. Graphics are only the tip of this analogy -- there are numerous posts and threads on other game-hindering issues regarding content, balance (a lot of republic abilities suck compared to their empire counterparts for no obvious reason), and mechanics such as character responsiveness and ability delay.

The Blurry Republic is a fun game, it just isn't a good game by many genre standards. This particular thread is about graphics, so that's what you'll find people talking about here.

Edited by Unruhe

I realise graphics in the PC world have greater precedence then in the console world, but still the amount of QQ over this issue is unbelievable. It's not terribly game breaking is it? Is it not possible to enjoy the game with albeit slightly lower res textures? You people make it look like the graphics is the #1 most important thing about this game, which even in the PC world shouldn't be true.

Gash... why people can't understand it's not about being game-breaking?

It's about saying LIES to customers.

Clear enough?

How important are graphics?

As much as... the music is for example. IMO they are on equal importance. Both create climate, and as same as bad soundtrack can spoil the game immersion: the bad graphics can spoil it too. Perhaps you can't understand that as same as sometimes I can't understand why soundtracks in certain games are horrible, but it doesn't make it an issue any less.

Some people happen to find arts being more important factor, other people find music being more important factor.

I'm a programmer, but deal with graphics every day in my work on various levels, so my domain are visuals. I don't care about the music in games as long as it's nothing seriously annoying. I guess similarly you don't care about graphics unless it's terrible.

Never the less - I don't post in topics related to people criticizing soundtracks in games - and perhaps you shouldn't post in topics where people criticize graphics?

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

It would certainly help compensate for the utter stupidity in releasing the game too early.

Besides, those of us with $6000 computers want to make damn sure we're pushing it to the limit. Otherwise, it's a chumps game, which is how I feel now for the most part.

Unreal Engine / Cryo Engine.. all look bad azz!

It doesn't matter -- even if he is running any out-of-game GPU rendering tricks, he still only posts distant shots of nearly all-white, limited detail trooper armor. Probably because no amount of PC shenanigans will enable a texture quality that is disabled at the engine level of the game, rather than at the user's discretion.

No trick he could pull will put a post-2004 texture quality into his game, so all we get are the same repeated "Show me proof! That's not proof! My game looks better than yours!" and distant screenshots of solid white armor.

Seeing as how the atlas garbage packages and compresses textures together, naturally the images that suffer the most from it are the most varied, detailed textures. You take something pure white with a straight line on it and it doesn't look nearly as terrible. You put something with multiple colors, shades of colors, and non-straight lines (in other words, every robe, ever, among other things) through that atlas junk and it comes out the other end looking like dog barf. There's no way to make it not look like dog barf, unless you just equip plainer armor.

EDIT: you have a $6000 dollar computer! o.O .. I hope you earn a substantial living with that thing or someone saw you coming. Even then .. $6000 wth.

Point me to the solid-color Jedi robes, please.

lol its not some conspiracy. Theres no trick or any reason for a trick.

Those are just screenshots of my guy and thatis that is what my guy wears. The point is not to prove that we dont need better textures.

Ive already stated that I agree it would be nice to have the HD textures enabled. Its just irritating listening to all the crazies claiming the game looks like something from Nintendo 64 when in fact the game looks excellent when you are actually playing it rather than trying to prove a point.

Which brings me back to my other issue with this thread. The false advertising thing. The only videos/screenies that you can say with certainty are gameplay footage are those with the ui enabled. I am yet any such footage that looks in any way better than the current playable version. Hell you people should try to sue activision because the mechwarrior 2 in game graphics doesnt look like the intro video.

The only real issue is when you zoom in to pose for a screenshot or to admire how pretty you look. I cant quite grasp how some of you find that so important you would quit playing and/or try and get some sort of monetary compensation for your hardship. My opinion on that is irrelevant though, they have already clearly stated that the poser shots will be fixed. Job done.

Edited by jadel

Hell you people should try to sue activision because the mechwarrior 2 in game graphics doesnt look like the intro video.

I would! if not the fact that the game was so damn good that I didn't have time to do anything besides playing it! :D

*high five for fellow mechwarrior!*

I do hope they fix the high resolution textures issue - even if all they give us is a simple toggle with a warning that "this might melt your GPU". Having done the tweaking with Inspector to get reflections working, I almost fell over laughing when I saw that the reflection matrices borked themselves.

Gash... why people can't understand it's not about being game-breaking?

It's about saying LIES to customers.

Clear enough?

How important are graphics?

As much as... the music is for example. IMO they are on equal importance. Both create climate, and as same as bad soundtrack can spoil the game immersion: the bad graphics can spoil it too. Perhaps you can't understand that as same as sometimes I can't understand why soundtracks in certain games are horrible, but it doesn't make it an issue any less.

Some people happen to find arts being more important factor, other people find music being more important factor.

I'm a programmer, but deal with graphics every day in my work on various levels, so my domain are visuals. I don't care about the music in games as long as it's nothing seriously annoying. I guess similarly you don't care about graphics unless it's terrible.

Never the less - I don't post in topics related to people criticizing soundtracks in games - and perhaps you shouldn't post in topics where people criticize graphics?

Yes I acknowledged the fact in one of my previous posts that they did lie, but I still stand by the fact that there's too much whining over the issue, EVEN if they did lie. There are numerous other issues with the gameplay that need to be fixed, some way more important then this. And yes, I suppose I should avoid topics like this. But I am baffled that people would seek monetary claims or even report the company to the BBB. It's just a game for god sakes. How many other games have done something similar in the past? I can bet that there's ton's. The response is simply atrocious, especially for a game that just landed a month ago.

And for the record, there are several other games out there that can push your 2 grand PC to the limits (that's to the other guy who posted after you). SWTOR is not one of them, and that shouldn't be a big deal. But of course, that's my opinion.

Anyways, off to bed for me...

Edited by cptnUnderpant

Yes I acknowledged the fact in one of my previous posts that they did lie, but I still stand by the fact that there's too much whining over the issue, EVEN if they did lie. There are numerous other issues with the gameplay that need to be fixed, some way more important then this. And yes, I suppose I should avoid topics like this. But I am baffled that people would seek monetary claims or even report the company to the BBB. It's just a game for god sakes. How many other games have done something similar in the past? I can bet that there's ton's. The response is simply atrocious, especially for a game that just landed a month ago.

Well, I bet that if you would ask each of these persons what's the issue they think should be fixed first - noone would point out the graphics.

There's lot of harsh words in this topic, and numerous threats cause people know very well how companies behave and that it's the only way to actually achieve anything in the matters they do care about. Especially when it comes to EA which is the worst publisher on PC market (probably only ubisoft with their DRMs can race with them for this title).

If this topic disappears than we'll never see any improvement and BioWare will come out from the case with clean hands telling people that the performance is the issue. Meanwhile we have many people who run TOR at 100 FPS+, no issues in crowded areas, who need to stare at low-detail blurred textures while the game so far still lacks even a proper anti-aliasing (not even saying about other post-processing effects) which is extremely easy to implement.

And: No, despite of what you think there aren't many games that got issues with false advertisement of graphics. I'm a PC gamer for years and remember only one case when customers made loud demands, went for refounds, and were generally touched by false advertisement: Crysis (the first one, not console dumbed-down sequel, although it got it's own pile of shouting on graphics, but it was mostly thanks to consoles, not false advertisement).

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

It would certainly help compensate for the utter stupidity in releasing the game too early.

Besides, those of us with $6000 computers want to make damn sure we're pushing it to the limit. Otherwise, it's a chumps game, which is how I feel now for the most part.

Unreal Engine / Cryo Engine.. all look bad azz!

I'm a full supporter of bringing back all the high res textures.

Could you list your specs please?

I've always wondered what a $6000 pc would have :D

At the moment my specs are

Intel 2600k CPU ( €200 )

Asrock z68m-itx/ht Mobo ( €124 )

Nvidia GTX 470 GPU ( €180 )

Cosair Vengine LP 8GB 1600Mhz RAM ( €55 )

Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid SSD/HDD 500GB ( €80 )

Samsung Spingpoint F3 2TB Ecogreen ( € 55 )

Silverstone SG07B Sugo Chassis ( €150 )

27" Hazro HZ27WC 8-bit LED Backlit IPS ( €450 )

Total Cost €1,294

Now for me that would constitute the entire pc.

Now with that I can run the fine at "high", and when I forced AA to x8 and LOD to -3 in the drivers the game actually started to run smoother for some reason.

Even then the textures look abolutely terrible. Specialyl cloth armours and since I play a Sith in the game, well robes and cloth are there quite a bit.

The worst thing about this thread is that it shouldn't even be an issue for a PC game.

There should naturally be a high rez option available. EQ2 at the time of it's release had a ultra resolution mode that clearly stated that no graphics card at the time was able to run it without issues.

We need something similar for SWTOR.