I'm a little worried.

Bow-Wow-Wow

What people fail to realize is that yes it is 2012, HOWEVER, that does not mean that making an mmorpg is any easyer then wow was to make Wow was in development for how long? Lets argue, 5 years.

Tor has ONLY HAD what, 3-5 years as well? To expect a game to have 12 years worth of features aka wow of today, when it only had 3-5 years from start to finish is an expectation.

Things take TIME to write. Not to mention that this ISNT the same engine that wow used nor is it the same coding at all. There is alot to this game and I think BW did their best with their 3-5 start to finish development time.

However, IF swtor had been in development for 12 years lets say, you beter be DAMN SURE that I would EXPECT this game to have almost every feature wow of today has.

I agree with this excellent point. People are also ignoring the positive things of this release that are quite clearly a step forward for MMOs.

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

yes this fact is brought up all the time but it ignores the fact that people who play this genre have become accustomed to a certain level of customization that this game not only lacks but seems to be purposefully avoiding.

I definately feel that it was an intentional decision by BW -- ie they did not want to design their game with that much variety, as opposed to really wanting to launch with greater variety, but just could not.

Some of the Dev Pre-Release interviews suggested as much (ie Bald guys comments against large racial variety, or how a greater free form flight system would be lame, etc).

Imo, I think BW is a little too rigid when it comes to presenting options to players. If they open up, I think TOR will increase its customer satisfaction.

The forums are filled with misinfromation welcome to MMO launches.

Oh yeah emailed CS today, a big 4 hours to respond and fix my issue.

Nah man, I haven't seen ANYTHING this negative in any MMO in over 15 years. People are straight-up FURIOUS at this game company.

What people fail to realize is that yes it is 2012, HOWEVER, that does not mean that making an mmorpg is any easyer then wow was to make Wow was in development for how long? Lets argue, 5 years.

Tor has ONLY HAD what, 3-5 years as well? To expect a game to have 12 years worth of features aka wow of today, when it only had 3-5 years from start to finish is an impossible expectation.

Things take TIME to write. Not to mention that this ISNT the same engine that wow used nor is it the same coding at all. There is alot to this game and I think BW did their best with their 3-5 start to finish development time.

However, IF swtor had been in development for 12 years lets say, you beter be DAMN SURE that I would EXPECT this game to have almost every feature wow of today has.

Fair enough, you pose a good argument. I do not have a degree in anything related to computers, so I agree, I am looking at it from a pure consumer standpoint here.

I've played a lot of mmo's including some F2Ps, and they all had "standard" features like movable UI components, Looking for group functions, guild features (i.e. bank), fast zoning times, and more updated graphics to name a few.

I can't say how many years a lot of these games had in development, I am not an expert. However, It just feels to me like I have played free games that have a lot of these standard features in them. I can't imagine they had as much money or time to build them?

Bottom line, this game just does not feel "right" for me, and I really wanted it too.

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

So when WoW came out, did you complain that it wasn't 100% polished? Because you know, EQ came out 5 years earlier and they should of "advanced" enough technologically to just avoid bugs and have a ton of features added? MMOs are very complex games that take awhile to develop into something good. No amount of magical technology and c/ping will change that because expectations go up, along with technology/ideas.

Customizable UI was not a WoW release feature. WoW allowed user-made mods to be made for their game to customize their UI. That didn't come till QUITE a bit later on, as people were able to make functioning mods. WoW's default UI is still quite bad for how long the game has been out, even with them using many of the user-made mod's ideas. Just further proves my point, MMOs are often quite rough on release and any MMO veteran should be able to tell you that. It is a perfectly valid point.

WoW was genre breaking it that you could level simply by questing. It removed the grind, that along with a strong player base from their RTS games made them a huge hit. the continued success was their support of and allowing UI customization and addons.

Some functionality broke the game for some hence they made part of their API into secure functions. It was too late for other functionality. DBM, decursive specifically.

This game is never going to die. Shoot even Meridian 59 hasn't died yet. It came out in like 1995. Was the first true 3d mmo, right before Ultima Online. Everquest pretty much killed it before it was eventually resurrected.

Meridian 59 is free to play now, and amazingly we get new and returning players coming back for the nostalgia alone. It's a very small community but that is kind of what gives the game it's charm.

I agree with this excellent point. People are also ignoring the positive things of this release that are quite clearly a step forward for MMOs.

I would not say they are 'ignoring' them, but rather saying that they do not excuse what was 'left out'.

Imo, you look at a product as a whole, rather than only counting the good things. As a customer, I am more prone to look at what is missing, than what is included. It doesn't matter how amazing the sound system is on the TV, if the picture quality is 5 years old, for example.

Had TOR not excluded things we have seen in other games, it would have greater customer satisfaction.

The majority of the "hate" threads here can easily tracked back to a few individuals that just post over and over. You'll start to remember names of those that just want to trash the game. Its rather funny.

community at its best?

try making a light heart-ed thread and watch it get locked for being offtopic. Be sure to include the

tag

Happy people are largely playing.

Unhappy people are largely posting.

It is why you do not get a balanced view on a game from forum posts. However, you can get a pretty good gauge on what the major issues are.

I really enjoy the level process. I would have liked more class based quests because after the first two planets the ratio of class quests to normal quests blows out so with each subsequent character you get a lot of repetition and am forced to flip between light and dark options just to get some variety.

My major beef is what there is to do at level 50, the story dies a horrible death at level 50 and it is just dailies and repeating the content.

I don't see the point of having two games, one while you level and one for the rest of your time, I think a lot of people enjoy the levelling aspect but the more that hit 'end-game', the more are distracted by aspects of the game that didn't get anywhere near the developer attention as the level aspect.

The way they designed the game, it should not have had an upper level cap and just slow down level progression and every few weeks throw out new planets with quests and stuff and people could keep going. At present the game feels like it has a finite ending if you do not really care much about gear accumulation. It should be a means to an end, not the entire reason for playing.

Edited by traft