Tanking

falconier

I'm looking to tank in this game although I havent played it yet. I'm a WoW fan looking for some change.

What are the tanking classes for the empire and republic?

Is one classes better then another?

How's the leveling when leveling a tank?

Where can I find relevent information on tanking and the diffrent classes?

Sorry for the wall of txt but I have so many questions:o

Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter and Inquisitor

Jedi Knight, Trooper and Consular

All those CAN be tanks if you pick the right AC and put your points in the right place.

As for info about them, check around the net or in the class specific forums.

Edited by jtzako

Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter and Inquisitor

Jedi Knight, Trooper and Consular

All those CAN be tanks if you pick the right AC and put your points in the right place.

As for info about them, check around the net or in the class specific forums.

Whats the AC? and ty ill look the sht up online an see what i find:D

Whats the AC? and ty ill look the sht up online an see what i find:D

Advanced Class ;)

Remember that tanking not only concerns hp, but also certain spells. I've heard that Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight are good tanks, although I'm not sure.

Inquisitor and Consular both have a spell that reduces hostility by 40 %, which does not bode well for their ability to tank in the long run (meaning BioWare may patch bigger tanking differencies between each class).

Advanced Class ;)

Remember that tanking not only concerns hp, but also certain spells. I've heard that Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight are good tanks, although I'm not sure.

Inquisitor and Consular both have a spell that reduces hostility by 40 %, which does not bode well for their ability to tank in the long run (meaning BioWare may patch bigger tanking differencies between each class).

It depends, if you are an Inquisitor Assassin (or the equivalent Consular) you have a buff that makes you a tank. You can also put points into the tanking tree to get all the goodies you need. You do have light armor, but the 'buff' makes up for that and they tank just as well as their heavy armor counterparts.

The reduce hostility spell is not a spell you'd use when tanking of course. There is no threat reduction or gain on any of the 'class' abilities, only on ones you get from your specific AC or points.

Bottom line is, at this point, all the AC specs that are meant to tank can do so and are relatively equal at doing so.

It depends, if you are an Inquisitor Assassin (or the equivalent Consular) you have a buff that makes you a tank. You can also put points into the tanking tree to get all the goodies you need. You do have light armor, but the 'buff' makes up for that and they tank just as well as their heavy armor counterparts.

The reduce hostility spell is not a spell you'd use when tanking of course. There is no threat reduction or gain on any of the 'class' abilities, only on ones you get from your specific AC or points.

Bottom line is, at this point, all the AC specs that are meant to tank can do so and are relatively equal at doing so.

I understand your points, and you are of course right [for now]. Though when expansion packs come out, the blurry lines might get drawn much better, and if you decided to tank with a Sith Assassin (whose main objective isn't to tank) that role might get crushed because of several changes. I think people should be recommended tanks that are tanks by profession, not by convinience.

Edited by Albelda

Personally based on lower level tanking i've got to admit i think the consular/inquisitor seems to get the worse end of the deal out of the three tanking classes.

Bounty Hunters/Troopers are the easier tanks at lower levels because they get so many AoE/multi target damaging bilities, making it MUCH easier to hold aggro.

Sith Warriors/Jedi Knights however, seem to get better single target TPS (so good for bosses!) AND they do seem to get more survival orientated abilities earlier on as well.

As others have mentioned, with companions leveling as tank/healer instead of DPS is NO problem at all, in some ways it can actually be easier for doing tougher missions and/or missions meant for higher lvls than yourself.

I understand your points, and you are of course right [for now]. Though when expansion packs come out, the blurry lines might get drawn much better, and if you decided to tank with a Sith Assassin (whose main objective isn't to tank) that role might get crushed because of several changes. I think people should be recommended tanks that are tanks by profession, not by convinience.

The thing is, the ARE tanks by profession. They are intended, by BioWare, to be tanks just like the others. I dont think there is any reason to believe that will change. In this game heavy armor doesnt = tank, nor does Light armor = DPS.

Juggernaught (Sith Warrior) / Guardian (Jedi Knight)

Powertech (Bounty Hunter) / Vanguard (Trooper)

Assassin (Sith Inquisitor) / Shadow (Jedi Consular)

All exact (well nearly) mirrors of each other.

Juggernaught/Guardian and Assassin/Shadow can spec as melee (lightsaber) tanks, PT/Vanguard are are ranged.

Assassins/Shadows tank using avoidance, the others mitigation.

I play a PT but it's only low level, but from what I hear from guild mates, Jugg has problems holding multiple mobs agro, PT tends to do better AOE tanking. But they all seem fairly equal at 50.

I'd say, just go with the one whose playstyle seems more your thing (single lightsaber, blasters or double-bladed saber). As a healer at 50, I don't really notice any difference in terms of the class that tanks hard dungeons/raids.

Edited by Soazak

Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior - closer to a DK in some regards, and to a warrior in others.

Trooper/Bounty Hunter - paladin.

Consular Shadow/Inquisitor - not sure, although the armor thing is similar to a druid's. Friend is leveling one with my Sage, but he's playing with the DPS tree for now and we're too low-level to form an adequate opinion.

Trooper Vanguard from what I've seen seems a lot of fun and not particularly hard to heal - he's not spiky, which is good from a healer's point of view.

The thing is, the ARE tanks by profession. They are intended, by BioWare, to be tanks just like the others. I dont think there is any reason to believe that will change. In this game heavy armor doesnt = tank, nor does Light armor = DPS.

I see. That seems flawed, doesn't it? :p

I mean, tanking is an important aspect in every MMO, and should NOT be jumped into half-assed..

I see. That seems flawed, doesn't it? :p
Not really.

I mean, tanking is an important aspect in every MMO, and should NOT be jumped into half-assed..
Can you elaborate as to why you believe Assassin/Shadow tanking is half-assed?

Not really.

Can you elaborate as to why you believe Assassin/Shadow tanking is half-assed?

Yes I can :D

When you choose a class, you commit. That class will not change, and when you get your AC, it doesn't change either. The fact that every class can tank destroys tanking as a profession, since everyone can respec to tank if necessary. Keep in mind, that tanking is fun, but hard, and should not be taking lightly, since a missed pull, or a second off aggro can wipe your whole team.. I believe that when a person decides to become a tank, he/she finds that out before the class is picked, not as a "what the hell - moment" after leveling his/hers character to the 20th level. Do you understand what I'm saying mate? :)

This is just my personal meaning, and is by no means the correct way to look at this.

Yes I can :D

When you choose a class, you commit. That class will not change, and when you get your AC, it doesn't change either. The fact that every class can tank destroys tanking as a profession, since everyone can respec to tank if necessary.

How exactly can "every class tank"?

Once you select your AC (let alone your Class), it must be assumed that you have at least a basic idea of what you want to do. As far as Sith Inquisitors are concerned, if you want to Range DPS/Heal you become a sorcerer, if you want to melee DPS/Tank, you become an assassin.

Once you specifically specc as a Sith Assassin Tank, start playing and reach well into your later levels in the game, I don't think that you can easily just decide you don't like it and respecc to DPS simply as that.

Sure, you could undo all your tank talent tree skills and put them into the DPS tree, but having already been a tank means all your gear and mods are tank-oriented (END boosts, Shield Absorbtion/Defence Rating, no emphasis on Willpower/Critical/Surge etc) and would put you at a huge disadvantage should you wish to suddenly turn DPS.

I'm playing a Sith Assassin specced to Tank, reached lvl 50 and doing HM, raids or pvp. I've got about 6700 armor, 20100 health points, and over 40% in all my shield/damage avoidance stats. Based on my experience both in raids and PVP, I wouldn't exactly call my tanking "half-assed".

Edited by KaL_InvictuS

How exactly can "every class tank"?

Once you select your AC (let alone your Class), it must be assumed that you have at least a basic idea of what you want to do. As far as Sith Inquisitors are concerned, if you want to Range DPS/Heal you become a sorcerer, if you want to melee DPS/Tank, you become an assassin.

Once you specifically specc as a Sith Assassin Tank, start playing and reach well into your later levels in the game, I don't think that you can easily just decide you don't like it and respecc to DPS simply as that.

Sure, you could undo all your tank talent tree skills and put them into the DPS tree, but having already been a tank means all your gear and mods are tank-oriented (END boosts, Shield Absorbtion/Defence Rating, no emphasis on Willpower/Critical/Surge etc) and would put you at a huge disadvantage should you wish to suddenly turn DPS.

I'm playing a Sith Assassin specced to Tank, reached lvl 50 and doing HM, raids or pvp. I've got about 6700 armor, 20100 health points, and over 40% in all my shield/damage avoidance stats. Based on my experience both in raids and PVP, I wouldn't exactly call my tanking "half-assed".

Not me who have said that every class can tank. That is something everyone keeps telling the new tankies.

I still find it flawed, cause even though your tanking isn't "half-assed" a lot of it might be for others. Do you seriously find it okey that every class can go a tanky AC?

I do not find it logical that a Sith Assassin run ahead and absorb most of the damage. Do you? I, however, find it logical that a buff trooper, or a hateful Sith Warrior should be able to absorb a lot of damage. I hardly think BioWare will have this many tank options in the future. But hey! That's my opinion :)

Not me who have said that every class can tank. That is something everyone keeps telling the new tankies.

I still find it flawed, cause even though your tanking isn't "half-assed" a lot of it might be for others. Do you seriously find it okey that every class can go a tanky AC?

I do not find it logical that a Sith Assassin run ahead and absorb most of the damage. Do you? I, however, find it logical that a buff trooper, or a hateful Sith Warrior should be able to absorb a lot of damage. I hardly think BioWare will have this many tank options in the future. But hey! That's my opinion :)

Your opinion is based on really incorrect information. Whoever is feeding it to you is just plain wrong.

Not every AC can tank; in fact, not even half of the ACs in the game can tank. There are 8 ACs on each side, and 3 of those can tank. Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians, Vanguards/Powertechs, and Assassins/Shadows. That's it.

None of them are "half-assed." They all have a full skill tree committed to tanking and have to spec for it to be able to tank in any meaningful content. Sith Assassins tanking is kinda like Darth Maul. The guy took on two Jedi at once. He basically tanked them. Assassins get a buff that makes their armor the equivalent of heavy armor. They basically use the Force to enhance their abilities and endurance, rather than relying on heavy armor.

Your opinion is based on really incorrect information. Whoever is feeding it to you is just plain wrong.

Not every AC can tank; in fact, not even half of the ACs in the game can tank. There are 8 ACs on each side, and 3 of those can tank. Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians, Vanguards/Powertechs, and Assassins/Shadows. That's it.

None of them are "half-assed." They all have a full skill tree committed to tanking and have to spec for it to be able to tank in any meaningful content. Sith Assassins tanking is kinda like Darth Maul. The guy took on two Jedi at once. He basically tanked them. Assassins get a buff that makes their armor the equivalent of heavy armor. They basically use the Force to enhance their abilities and endurance, rather than relying on heavy armor.

Dude, I understand :)

It's just when people ask tanking questions on the forums, people respond with "all" the classes (or most).

So you honestly think that 6 AC's is not alot? Seriously? I find that number pretty great. That means 6 of 8 classes CAN tank..

I at least feel that 6 of 8 classes are a great deal (75 % in fact), so by not looking specifically at AC, we see that a majority of classes can tank.

Edited by Albelda

Dude, I understand :)

So you honestly think that 6 AC's is not alot? Seriously? I find that number pretty great. That means 6 of 8 classes CAN tank..

I at least feel that 6 of 8 classes are a great deal (75 % in fact), so by not looking specifically at AC, we see that a majority of classes can tank.

It's not 6 of 8. There are a total of 8 AC's on each side, and 3 can tank. The only way there would be 6 is if you counted each factions individual AC's as 1, in which case it would be 6 of 16.

It's not 6 of 8. There are a total of 8 AC's on each side, and 3 can tank. The only way there would be 6 is if you counted each factions individual AC's as 1, in which case it would be 6 of 16.

This ^

I said 3 of 8, not 6 of 8. Three Advanced Classes on each faction CAN tank. Once again, that's not even half of the classes in the game. Three ACs on each faction can also heal.

Edit: And my point was that anyone responding with "all" or "most" is wrong. If your opinion is based on that, then it is being formed using completely incorrect information as its basis. I don't see people saying "all classes can tank" so i'm not really sure where you're getting that from. Either way, it's wrong and I just wanted to help give you a better foundation for your opinion.

Edited by Darthshnooky

All the classes that are meant to tank CAN tank and are effective at it. So if you are a Juggernaut, Powertech, Assassin, Guardian, Vanguard or Shadow you have abilities (taunts, shields etc) and AC tree choices that make you a tank. Whichever one you choose will work great and wont be weaker than the others.

This game is not like WoW and many others in that you have to be a heavy armor wearer to tank. It also isnt the case that your 'base' class has to be a classic 'tank' style.

All 3 classes that can tank on each faction also have completely non-tank versions as well and even the ones that are 'healers' could spec in such a way that makes them ineffective as a healer but great for DPS.

This ^

I said 3 of 8, not 6 of 8. Three Advanced Classes on each faction CAN tank. Once again, that's not even half of the classes in the game. Three ACs on each faction can also heal.

Edit: And my point was that anyone responding with "all" or "most" is wrong. If your opinion is based on that, then it is being formed using completely incorrect information as its basis. I don't see people saying "all classes can tank" so i'm not really sure where you're getting that from. Either way, it's wrong and I just wanted to help give you a better foundation for your opinion.

Ahh.. Misunderstood you then. Oh well, party over :p

EDIT: How many classes are these? Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians, Vanguards/Powertechs, and Assassins/Shadows. Did you not say that they could tank? I might have misunderstood this part.

Edited by Albelda

Ahh.. Misunderstood you then. Oh well, party over :p

EDIT: How many classes are these? Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians, Vanguards/Powertechs, and Assassins/Shadows. Did you not say that they could tank? I might have misunderstood this part.

3 of 8 per faction. So yeah, 6 advance classes in total, but that would be 6 of 16 rather than 3 of 8.

3 of 8 per faction. So yeah, 6 advance classes in total, but that would be 6 of 16 rather than 3 of 8.

That still tells me that 6 classes can tank (but I understand that not all AC's can tank).

So, if you pick, BH, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular, and choose the "correct" tanking AC, you have a tank.

Edited by Paralassa
content