Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

15m Deserter Debuff Needed ASAP.

pdubby

50s who want to be carried by other 50s premades are constantly bailing on warzones because a couple low levels maybe be in the game.

Even when they add the 50 only bracket you will have 40s bailing because there are too many 20s in the warzones.

People who do this put their side at a disadvantage the rest of the match.

There needs to be a 15m deserter (time out in the corner) debuff that does not go away upon logging out.

Deserter penalty is needed and the afk kick in WZ needs to be harsh.

As an aside, folks already go AFK in a badly losing warfront - e.g. defending the turrett for the 1/3k defender medals if they lose the opening fight in the middle in Alderaan.

Better yet..

Deserters that requeue get a hidden game code that automatically places them in a warzone that other people have bailed on. Leaving that warzone and queuing again does the same thing ad-finitum. The only way to remove the hidden warzone routing code would be to stay in the warzone.

I've only left two warzones in my life intentionally. One was against an all 50 premade when we had like half a team in game.

The second time was recently and we had 3 level 10's & a level 14 on Alderaan. We didn't leave until we gave the game a chance, but once the game started and watched how they got stomped into the ground by a full 50 sorc premade... we didn't feel like wasting our time.

I'm a 43 Combat Medic with a 50 Vanguard partner, and also both 30+ valor Gladiators.

So before you want to give me a deserter buff for 99% of my leaving being a 5 second disconnect because bioware has absolutely ZERO disconnect protection, or every 1% avoiding a hopeless game, you should really think of other alternatives.

Edited by ColdLogic

You really think deserter buff keeps people from leaving warzones? Like that helped in THAT OTHER GAME?

I'd rather take the deserter debuff and do something meaningful in the meanwhile than smashing my head against a wall trying to turn tables when the whole team just does not fit.

PvPing for more than 15 years now in so many different games. Sometimes the team you are in just does not play well together for whatever reason EVEN if each and every one of them is eventually a good player.

People crying for deserter debuff are just angry for the time being becuase they lost a round or maybe even a couple of rounds and want to vent. Deserter debuff will not achieve anything at all.

50s who want to be carried by other 50s premades are constantly bailing on warzones because a couple low levels maybe be in the game.

Even when they add the 50 only bracket you will have 40s bailing because there are too many 20s in the warzones.

People who do this put their side at a disadvantage the rest of the match.

There needs to be a 15m deserter (time out in the corner) debuff that does not go away upon logging out.

Ha! I leave warzones with lowbies all the time. Thanks but no thanks; its a waste of my time. If people dont want to play with you -- take the hint, go level and get some abilities.

Giving me a debuff and forcing me to play crappy pvp makes the game far less attractive.

Punitive systems for warzones will never work and just hit the wrong people and be completely ineffective. If leavers are a problem reward people who stay more, don't punish those who leave.

This can not say this enough reward people with match complete bonus. A LOT less deserters there will be. Right now no incentive to stay so why would they when it's a 50 pre-made destroying lowbies. I would leave too.

Yes because being locked out of a Warzone for 2 hours because bioware has no disconnect protection for even getting d/c'd for 5 seconds (which boots you) in a warzone makes perfect sense.

Dude not talking about DC :) Talking about right clickink on the minimap exit warzone. Or beeing AFK lets say more then 2 times every 4 hours.

Deserter penalty is needed and the afk kick in WZ needs to be harsh.

As an aside, folks already go AFK in a badly losing warfront - e.g. defending the turrett for the 1/3k defender medals if they lose the opening fight in the middle in Alderaan.

autorun off platform; die; repeat

Dude not talking about DC :) Talking about right clickink on the minimap exit warzone. Or beeing AFK lets say more then 2 times every 4 hours.

Game can't tell the difference. And if they did somehow code it to do that all I'll do is "pause" my cable modem and force a DC. :rolleyes:

Edited by Illutian

Ridiculous idea and will only make it worse on;

1) the players who are stuck with an AFK'er who would normally leave

2) the people who genuinely disconnect

And if you make it so disconnections don't cause a deserter buff you'll just have people closing their net connection.

Face it, what's so bad with people leaving? someone who actually wants to play joins. I think your just upset the 50's who are carrying you through the warzone are leaving and lower levels are joining.

The all people have to do is shut off their computer or game to get away from the debuff.

They better not implement a penalty. I still get kicked out of warzones from time to time because I die and the game keeps me locked inside the rez-room for two cycles. I've lost the void star because the ENTIRE TEAM started the match in the room and when the game started the shield reset without letting us out so they just walked up to the door, bombed it and went to the next room while we got booted. Edited by Coyotecalls

They better not implement a penalty. I still get kicked out of warzones from time to time because I die and the game keeps me locked inside the rez-room for two cycles. I've lost the void star because the ENTIRE TEAM started the match in the room and when the game started the shield reset without letting us out so they just walked up to the door, bombed it and went to the next room while we got booted.

Or the game just randomly shuts off like what just happened to me now.

Or the game just randomly shuts off like what just happened to me now.

Serious note, check Task Manager and see how much one of the 'swtor.exe' is using.

I find that around the 1.8GB mark SWTOR will crash out.

FYI:

SWTOR uses two identical EXEs (swtor.exe). Probably to get around the fact that it's a 32-bit program and is therefore limited to ~2GB of memory unless Large Address Aware is flagged as true. Then it's ~4GB, which is the full amount that a 32bit program can address. I'm not familiar enough to know why a 32bit program is limited to just 2GB...and I don't care to go researching why it's only able to use half the amount it could use.

But for me it's usually

swtor.exe 1.8GB

swtor.exe ~400MB

->Crash

When I start back up

swtor.exe ~1.2GB

swtor.exe ~300MB

->Slowly builds as I stay in the world; even if I just sit at the Galatic Trade all day...memory leaks, I so love you.

//EDIT

I should note that I have dual monitor so I have Task Manager open on the auxiliary monitor; so that's how I know when it crashes.

At about 1.5GB I exit out and restart; seems to work.

Edited by Illutian

Totally no.

What about when you get disconnected from the game, becasue lets be honest here, its not unknown as the game isnt anywhere near totally stable. I was playing on my powertech earlier on today and my client hard crashed to desktop. Now people say that I should get a debuff as well.

No No No. Dont do it Bioware. I agree in principle of people leaving should be punished, but not at the expense of other people. Some of us are still having a hard time getting into the game, this would only make it worse for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.