The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

13% Defense rating on an epic geared tank? is this right?

Tierdal

Def is evasion tanking (ie dodge, parry, ect.)

Shield Rating/Shield absorb is like shield block for warrior classes.

BH do better with more shield rate/absorb then Juggs do. Both are vibable tanking options but we've noticed that BH (along with assassin) tanks take less spikey dmg the juggs.

I'm currently rolling a jugg tank so I can see where the differences truely lie.

I am only a level 26 powertech, so my input can be taken with a grain of salt, however:

For me, defense rating adds 0.07% defense per point (9 defense rating = 5%>5.63% defense).

Absorb rating adds 0.2125% absorb per point (8 absorb rating = 26%>27.7% absorb).

I'm assuming stats scale with level WoW-style, but that the stats stay at the same or similar relative value.

At level 50, my shield chance should be 10% higher due to talents, leaving it at 32%.

Given the above, you have:

0.07% chance to dodge per point of defense that applies to 100% of relevant attacks, OR

0.2125% damage mitigated from 32% of attacks, or 0.0708% of total damage mitigated per point of absorb. Note that these numbers are probably NOT correct for a level 50, but the important thing is their equivalency.

As far as I can tell, the stats are effectively equivalent for overall damage taken at high level, and I assume that was by design. Shield is, in theory, going to give a less spiky damage input, but defense is more likely to make a noticeable difference in a clutch situation. Shield feels like savage defense, bear style to me, even though it's different being a percentage drop.

Seems a bit low but like everyone is saying BH tanking seems to focus more around shielding rather then simply avoiding the attacks with defense. However that being said I'm currently running 19% defense, 52% shield, and 39% absorb with a mix of epics bought off the auction house and through PvP.

We don't dodge that much, it's as simple as that.

We have 16% more armor a few more % DR from talents. Our shielding is leaps and bounds above Juggernauts. We eat and lower damage.

My Shield Tech has 54% damage reduction, 52% chance to shield for 47% damage reduction. 14% defense.

Mitigation > avoidance, always.

As an aside taking a single stat in isolation, in this case defense, is not representative of performance. We're not designed to dodge as much, our survival is provided in different ways.

Edited by Parthis

I've posted this info on another board before, but I will post this for your benefit.

In terms of scaling, Defense is our worst stat. Right now @ 50 you get the following:

1pt of defense = ~.0354%

1pt of shield = ~.06%

1pt of absorb = ~.106%

Bare in mind that this BEFORE diminishing returns.

In my honest opinion, we should be stacking, as a priority:

With less than 200 absorb rating:

Shield > Absorb > Defense

With above 200 absorb rating:

Shield > Defense > Absorb

Soft cap on Defense has yet to be found imo.