Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware: Allow Advanced Class Respec!

Dunzo

Actually, as I stated earlier, they did. In WoW, playing an Undead Priest, was vastly different than playing a Blood Elf Priest. Additionally, there were multiple areas (usually about 2) that were appropriate for your level, until end game.

Besides the zones the actual playability of the BE to Undead was 99.99999999999995% the same.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, as I stated earlier, they did. In WoW, playing an Undead Priest, was vastly different than playing a Blood Elf Priest. Additionally, there were multiple areas (usually about 2) that were appropriate for your level, until end game.

No that's not the same argument at all. The area you're leveling the character in may be different, the actual playing of the Priest class is absolutely the same. It's the exact opposite here, the class area you are playing in is the same, the way the class plays is utterly different beyond level 10.

Edited by Cadiva

This is dumb, if you allow advanced class respecs why not just allow full class switching? Its essentially the same thing. People need to get away from this AC nonesense. Your CLASS is your AC, end of story. They play completely different, that would be like allowing class changes in any other MMO out there, it would be quite dumb.

You're still whining about rolling an alt.

If you can't understand that an AC and a talent spec are completely and totally seperate things you might want to reconsider the insults.

What is so unique mechanic wise with a SWTOR AC vs a WoW talent tree or the RIFT soul design?

AC change the role vs Talent Tree/Soul changing the role.

Also in case someone points out Sentinel, see Druid or Cleric.

If the AC had a unique story I could see the point but it is the same regardless of which one you pick.

Edited by Pyrolight

Besides the zones the actual playability of the BE to Undead was 99.99999999999995% the same.

And that's essentially all I'm asking for. You're very much predetermined as to which planets you'll go to and at which levels, which quests you'll do, etc. Shrug. I don't think it's too much to ask.

Watch that, they state it there, and a class is not a specialization a specialization is what that class excels at.

Classes are specialization.Classes have different things they are good at thus are different specializations. A SW excells at different things than a IA thus they are specializations. Also look on this site. They state they are just as impportant as you choice at character creation and in game the guild tab lists your class as your AC.

AC stands for advanced CLASS

As I said, I give up, arguing with you guys is like arguing with a wall............you don't get it, you won't get it, even Bioware has stated it, you guys are just so gung ho only with your head in the sand.

And that's essentially all I'm asking for. You're very much predetermined as to which planets you'll go to and at which levels, which quests you'll do, etc. Shrug. I don't think it's too much to ask.

Ahh, yes, different topic completely though.

I agree with you that having maybe 1-3 more planets to limit the time you're on a few of them would be great.

As I said, I give up, arguing with you guys is like arguing with a wall............you don't get it, you won't get it, even Bioware has stated it, you guys are just so gung ho only with your head in the sand.

Hey don't get mad because we've made valid points and the only thing your side keeps saying is "no you're wrong but we have nothing else to say"

Forget it, you people have no concept of MMOs what-so-ever, you wanted to use EQ as an example? FINE.............Everquest had classes and then what they call ARCH-TYPES not classes!

No you seriously have a hang up over the terminology. Whatever the hell BioWare chooses to call their different classes is absolutely irrelevant. It's what they DO and how they work which matters and the two Advanced Classes within each Class are utterly different.

Well kind of....but a commado doesn't need defense. A vanguard doesn't need alatricity. So the argument kind of falls apart there.

a dps vanguard doesnt need defense either. the only real class that would be effected would be JK/SW since they dont share the same armor, and only one way really from juggernaut to marauder.

weapons would also be a issue but a quick run to the GTN would fix that.

No that's not the same argument at all. The area you're leveling the character in may be different, the actual playing of the Priest class is absolutely the same. It's the exact opposite here, the class area you are playing in is the same, the way the class plays is utterly different beyond level 10.

Well, no, I think the argument is still valid. I have more options. If I wanted to play an Undead Priest, I can start in one area. If I want an Undead Warrior, I don't really HAVE to play through the exact same area. I can hop the boat and do a different races starting zone and go from there. Sure it's a little more work, but it's not so much that it's prohibitive.

And before dual spec, if I wanted to play a shadow priest, vs. holy priest, I could have a different experience.

there's no reason to allow ac switching, once you pick it, you stay with it, just like picking your base class in any other mmo.

the only way i would see it being allowable was if when you switched, the new ac would start out at level 10, that way you still have to level up as that class.

Would I like to have this? Yes.

Do I think it should be in this game? No.

The choice holds weight in its current form. I rolled an Sith assassin and at level 13 I realized I really didn't like it at all. So now, I just don't think I can take re-rolling the same class again.

With that said my fix was trying something different. I rolled an agent and enjoy it. Now when I go back and re-roll the assassin to sorcerer the story won't be so fresh, thus not being so bad.

What is so unique mechanic wise with a SWTOR AC vs a WoW talent tree or the RIFT soul design?

AC change the role vs Talent Tree/Soul changing the role.

Also in case someone points out Sentinel, see Druid or Cleric.

If the AC had a unique story I could see the point but it is the same regardless of which one you pick.

Rift, I'll admit basically lets you change classes at will. Each one even has a different sub-resource system. BUUUUUT that was the hook of their game. As someone said before, it is Rifts reason to exist.

WoWs talent trees are the exact same thing as TOR's talent trees. That's it. A Scoundrel can heal or dps. If I put points in sawbones I can heal. It's the same thing as a priest/shadowpriest. (Sage/Sorceror is a more graphically apt analogy)

An AC is an extension of your original class. It is nothing like a talent tree. It is a choice your character makes at level 10 to pursue specialized training in an area.

Honestly the only reason you guys are even upset about it is because it happens at level 10. If you were required to chose at character creation there would be no whining at all.

I'm good with allowing one cheap or free respec. After that I agree with the devs that it should be made difficult. How difficult? Difficult enough so that you can't just change on a whim and would require a substantial time investment. Perhaps make it a rare flashpoint or operations bop drop or something like that. Or maybe require a lengthy set of missions. Difficult to make the choice worth something but still possible if someone is really determined. Edited by The_Hanged_Man

Ahh, yes, different topic completely though.

I agree with you that having maybe 1-3 more planets to limit the time you're on a few of them would be great.

Right, I was kind of replying to someone else, and I think we got off on a different tangent. But this is why I can understand some people's anger at having to reroll to 50 to play a different style Trooper. They essentially will have the exact same experience for the whole 50 levels. Yes, they could go light side/dark side opposites, but even that doesn't allow for much variability. You still have to talk to the same people and do the same plotlines.

Right, I was kind of replying to someone else, and I think we got off on a different tangent. But this is why I can understand some people's anger at having to reroll to 50 to play a different style Trooper. They essentially will have the exact same experience for the whole 50 levels. Yes, they could go light side/dark side opposites, but even that doesn't allow for much variability. You still have to talk to the same people and do the same plotlines.

you could lvl up a different way. you could do you're main class quest and supplement with PvP or space missions so you didn't have to do all the same world quests over again.