The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forum Changes Coming!

AllisonBerryman

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We understand that some players would still prefer individual server forums. If volume in the Server Group Forums dictates and it is still too difficult to locate information important to you that relates to your server, we will continue to consider additional changes. We believe this organization will allow us to have a thriving area for per-server discussion, and we’ll remain flexible and receptive to feedback from these changes. As always, if you have any other suggestions for the forums (new forums you’d like to see, changes that would be helpful), we’re glad to hear them. Thank you for providing your constructive feedback!

When I was using server forums in other mmorpg's I always hated those who had all merged into one.

Because it is pita to find the threads that are relevant to your server in the mix.

So I strongly suggest that you create separated server forums.

Edit: For some of the games that got a merged server forums, people started to use offside forums instead.

I doubt that is what you wish to happen here, since having them is part of publicity and getting a stronger community core.

Remember that every additional service promotes the game. ;)

I hope that I explained it well enough.

Edited by Mineria

The idea of having "Server-Specific" forums is a must. It's going to help build useful relationships with in the people we actually have a possibility of grouping with or PvP-ing against.

You think we care about another guild's progression on a completely different server? No, I want to see how my guild is comparing to others that have to draft from the same player base. Or who has which crafting patters on "X" server.

No... Just no. Don't be lazy... Don't be cheap. Hire more Mods, because I have a feeling that is directly involved with this decision.

Doing this was a complete waste of everyone's time, the tech guys working on the forums and waste of mine having to tell you its not what we need. It is just common sense that this will not work.

I don't get the whole meaning out of your context.

I assume with Tech Guys, you mean that they are responsible for everything?

As a tech myself, the things I am responsible for is hardware, operation system and applications running on them.

All the code that developers create is not my concern unless they directly create conflicts with the above or some performance tuning can be done.

Neither is someone that works on forums responsible for game code.

Edited by Mineria

I understand BW's reluctance to add more and more sub-forums to the community site. Each layer get's difficult to manage, more specialized areas will look less used, etc. However, I don't agree with the decision.

Since I've started playing I've been unable to find a guild on my server. Why? Because traditionally you find guild info in server forums. Without them, you could spend hours reading though posts and finding all sorts of cool guilds that turn out not to be on your server.

In other MMOs I've found friends in the server forums. When you can go to a forum that is specifically for your server it's easy to find friends. Yes, it is also easy to make in-game enemies as well due to trolls and the like. I understand that concern as well, that's were the community, and the moderating staff come in.

I know Bioware says it doesn't have the manpower to moderate server specific forums, but what I don't understand is if server group forums are as good as server specific forums how could there be less need for moderators? How much more work is it, for a mod to jump to five to six forums vs. reading though one forum with 5-6 servers worth of posts?

Of course the disturbing truth could just be that Bioware does in-fact know that server-specific forums will generate more posts, and thus a larger community with more activity. Rather than knowingly holding community development back, why not do what many games have done over the years and put together a volunteer guide/moderator program?

Such a program would allow the current moderation staff to focus on their volunteers (ensuring they are following standards, doing the job, etc) giving them less work (as day to day mod work is handled by their volunteers) and freeing up the time needed to have server specific forums, allow staff to focus on community development (active communities are a cornerstone of an MMO's success BTW), etc.

Bioware, you don't have to pay these volunteers, give them game time, or anything else. Give them a cheezy title they can use on the character in game, or don't even bother with that and simply put "BW Lacky" (or something nicer) under their name on the forums and you will have plenty of people stepping forward to help.

It is the Community that makes an MMO a long-term success or failure. Community Development needs to be job number one with games. Please stop working against it, I would like to play this game for years to come, but if I'm stuck playing it alone due to the extreme lack of Community Development, I will get bored fast and won't be here long. I seriously doubt I am the only one who feels that way.

A server is (ideally) a community of players.

More servers=more communities mixed together=no actual community.

Allow server communities to form and communicate in their own private forums as there is nothing like forum warmongering followed by meeting enemies in the game.

A server will prosper more if it has an individuality/community rather than being a grain of sand in the middle of the desert. Same goes for cross server PvP queues - another community killer idea invented by Blizz(ard).

On a server specific forum - you will get exposure as a Player or as a guild and get to be loved or hated by allies and enemies alike. Being ONE out of 10k is still possible compared to being ONE out of 50k.

Iconic figures keep things rolling and bring life to a server - allow them to form and grow!

/salute

Server Group Forums simply do not work. Please listen to your customers and give us server specific forums. There is no good reason to have them arbitrarily grouped alphabetically. Server specific forums are essential to building a sense of community. If you can spend 200 million making this game then I think you can afford to have some forums moderated.

I am very disappointed with the current setup and really hope it is fixed soon. thanks

Edited by Mokdai

The implantation is sub optimal to say the least but i guess its better then nothing, you guys were probably better off letting the servers start forums of there own.

But if this is the route your going, can we at least get a filter to see just our servers posts in a given board, then we virtually get a server sub forum instead of having to sort though the other 5-7 servers we are grouped with

The server group forums are an improvement, I guess, but not what we want. There isn't even a filter so we still have to sift through all the other server's threads to see our own.
I agree

Just make separate forums for each server and be done with this BS

I understand BW's reluctance to add more and more sub-forums to the community site. Each layer get's difficult to manage, more specialized areas will look less used, etc. However, I don't agree with the decision.

Since I've started playing I've been unable to find a guild on my server. Why? Because traditionally you find guild info in server forums. Without them, you could spend hours reading though posts and finding all sorts of cool guilds that turn out not to be on your server.

In other MMOs I've found friends in the server forums. When you can go to a forum that is specifically for your server it's easy to find friends. Yes, it is also easy to make in-game enemies as well due to trolls and the like. I understand that concern as well, that's were the community, and the moderating staff come in.

I know Bioware says it doesn't have the manpower to moderate server specific forums, but what I don't understand is if server group forums are as good as server specific forums how could there be less need for moderators? How much more work is it, for a mod to jump to five to six forums vs. reading though one forum with 5-6 servers worth of posts?

Of course the disturbing truth could just be that Bioware does in-fact know that server-specific forums will generate more posts, and thus a larger community with more activity. Rather than knowingly holding community development back, why not do what many games have done over the years and put together a volunteer guide/moderator program?

Such a program would allow the current moderation staff to focus on their volunteers (ensuring they are following standards, doing the job, etc) giving them less work (as day to day mod work is handled by their volunteers) and freeing up the time needed to have server specific forums, allow staff to focus on community development (active communities are a cornerstone of an MMO's success BTW), etc.

Bioware, you don't have to pay these volunteers, give them game time, or anything else. Give them a cheezy title they can use on the character in game, or don't even bother with that and simply put "BW Lacky" (or something nicer) under their name on the forums and you will have plenty of people stepping forward to help.

It is the Community that makes an MMO a long-term success or failure. Community Development needs to be job number one with games. Please stop working against it, I would like to play this game for years to come, but if I'm stuck playing it alone due to the extreme lack of Community Development, I will get bored fast and won't be here long. I seriously doubt I am the only one who feels that way.

This guy makes sense.

Listen to this guy.

Server.

Specific.

Forums.

Whenever I play an MMO, I spend a LOT of time on the server forum, getting to know people, talking crafting, raiding and generally having fun with people I then meet ingame.

It is extremely dissapointing I can't do that currently..