Forum Changes Coming!

AllisonBerryman

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS --> Do you know if exist a "mark all forums read" somewhere but I'm too blind to see it?!

The forum template they have here is very buggy....lots of features and buttons are missing all over.

The proper command would be:

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?do=markread

But it doesn't appear to be functioning here....again a flaw in the template.

Some versions require a unique hash to complete this function, could attempt:

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?do=markread&markreadhash=1326857125-13b7b3380decae7008f169a921cf7a441b5076ba

But that seems to fail as well. So this tells me the function is present but their template is missing crap which prevents the proper use of this feature in vBulletin.

Then there's view today's new posts:

Method 1)

http://www.swtor.com/community/search.php?do=getdaily

Method 2)

http://www.swtor.com/community/search.php?do=getnew

Again, more crap they left out of their template for the forum.

Heck, I think I'll just make a helpful little (hey Bioware, you forgot this) post with all these nifty little vBulletin features left out of the template.

Edited by Vandrel-Blitz

guess today's patch did not include the forum changes.

However (comma)

I seemed to have found their super secret bat cave full of plans for the server forums. Are you ready to have your mind blown?

Forum Section: (Community) - links to

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=88 (Forum section #88)

Digging further through Bioware's forum layout I have found the following:

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=294

ranging to

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=369

Are hidden forum sections that are active but no one (but Bioware) currently has access to view. This tells us that:

There's a total of 75 "new" forum sections that have been created here. Now, let's do the math shall we?

215 servers

75 server forum sections

3 servers per forum section

So, this tells us that Bioware has ALREADY created the forum sections for server forum GROUPS and that there will be 75 of them with 3 servers to a group.

/pauseForEffect

/flail

/umadbro?

/agree

Everyone get ready to see 3 servers to a group and have your fun meter pegged.

Edited by Vandrel-Blitz

that's actually kinda baffling.

if there's really only going to be 3 servers per group, why didn't they just go all the way and go 1:1?

i don't agree with the decision for groups, but if they were gonna do it, I would have figured something more like 10 servers per group.

3 servers per group is kinda like saying "i want a rolex, but I want a cheap one".. -_-

:rolleyes:

that's actually kinda baffling.

It is but it also jumps back to someone's previous comment about Bioware being nicknamed Lazyware.

Who wants to create 215 forum sections when you can just create 75 and call it a day? :rolleyes:

I'm actually thankful that Bioware didn't roll out server groups today because this gives them the chance to read (if they have read this thread at all :rolleyes:) how bad of a idea it is and that we have already caught on to their master plan.

This is like needing a bunch of milk for a party, and instead of going to the store and picking up a few gallons you go find yourself a cow, milk it into little glasses and then pour the glasses into empty milk jugs. Just go to the freaking store, Bioware. I know it's a pain to have to get in the car, drive to the store and carry the jugs back to the car but in the end that little bit of pain will seem like no bother at all when you're twice as busy moderating all the spam and [notags] that will assuredly follow this decision. Edited by rlhaas

:rolleyes:

It is but it also jumps back to someone's previous comment about Bioware being nicknamed Lazyware.

Who wants to create 215 forum sections when you can just create 75 and call it a day? :rolleyes:

I'm actually thankful that Bioware didn't roll out server groups today because this gives them the chance to read (if they have read this thread at all :rolleyes:) how bad of a idea it is and that we have already caught on to their master plan.

You do realize that someone has to monitor each forum, right?

I agree, one forum per server would be nice. However, 215 forums would probably require hiring and training additional community staff which would be a considerable investment that may be wasted when 30% of the forums have no activity after the first 2 weeks. Also remember that in Europe they'd have to have all those replicated for German and French.

I also suspect that there's some more guild related web functionality on the way, perhaps similar to what they had pre-launch, which would make building a ton of new infrastructure and hiring new staff kind of pointless.

Trust me when I say I'm disappointed that there won't be specific forums for each server. Try and find a single guild for the Dead Wind Corridor server in the current set up. However, calling them 'lazy' is a little over the top, considering how much forum presence their community staff have. Not many other MMOs have "developer" posts on specific issues every day of the week.

It isn't perfect, and it will need improvement, but it is a step in the right direction.

You do realize that someone has to monitor each forum, right?

as someone who works a normal job AND browse the forums all day (and i'm accepted as good at my job, not just a slacker in the bunch), I simply have to say, monitoring each forum is not difficult.

i watch 2 guild forums, 5 car forums, 3 sales/deals pages, 6 news sites, on top of this forum + wow, and I have no problem keeping up with work with plenty of time to spare.

if someone getting paid to just sit and watch forum all day can't monitor ~50 forums by himself, they're just bad at it.

For all the jerks who said complaining doesn't work... We're getting some movement on some of BioWare's dumbest decisions -- namely no server/no guild forum areas. Something they said, just a month ago, was a no-go.

You are absolutely correct.

What some people don't understand is this is exactly how politics work. It's called Lobbying. And that just happened.

While you are at it, could you PLEASE enable Searching and Time zones.

thanks

timezone has always worked for me, maybe they're just biased toward Pacific Standard time.. cuz we're awesome like that.. >_>

search function.. pretty sure that function has more downtime than uptime, pretty funny, if you ignore how sad it is.

Guess what, MMO's have been in existence for decades! Forums for even longer! AND YOU STILL CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO RUN ONE WITH THE LIKES OF BIOWARE EA AND GEORGE LUCAS FUNDING YOU. You should all be dragged out in the street and publicly flogged.

Oh yeah and I also want to applaud your choice of having devs and customer service responding to everything in yellow. BECAUSE WE ALL LOVE GETTING PISSED ON BY THE MAN. Geniuses you are, yet still not the droids anyone here is looking for. You dont even deserve a movie reference, thats how sad this is becoming. You can take this pos game and shove it.

Edited by Nickter