DPS Meter - New suggestion

Happylol

As I suggested this in a different thread, I want to see the responses it gets because DPS meter/combat log seems to be a very heated topic ATM.

What if Bioware were to implement a DPS meter and Combat log, but ALSO gave individuals the option to turn off being tracked.

For examples;

Player A- Leader of a hardcore guild requires all members to turn tracking on so he can see meters.

Player B- Leader of a casual guild does not require said meter.

Player C- joins a pug and has the option to be tracked or not.

Player D- Leader of said pug decides if he wants to group with people who have the meter turned on or off.

The biggest problem I see in all of this would be Player D(who is going to cause issues with a meter anyway).

Can we TRY and keep this on topic and avoid "DPS meters suck" comments?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can appreciate you trying to compromise, but I can't see it flying. I mean, if people are worried they won't get into groups if their meters don't measure up, it's almost a sure thing those same theoretical people rejecting them would do it if they disable metering.

And for those people who want to do things like measure operation performance... well, they can't if people are turning off their meters.

Not that I think it's even a real issue worth worrying about, personally, but I can't see that it fixes those peoples' issues.

It's better than nothing, I suppose, but isn't going to satisfy the extremists, who are really the only ones screaming about it anyway.

Edited by imtrick

Sounds like a good idea.

Gives everyone the option to do what they want.

LFM Eternity Vault pug run. Meters required to be on.

LFM Eternity Vault pug run. Meters required to be off.

LFM Eternity Vault pug run. Meters optional.

I already know which group I want to be in.

Can you elaborate?

How would this make anything confusing?

I'm confused about Player C. If he's on a shuttle heading towards Hutta, and Player D is on Hoth, then what time will Player C get to Detroit?

Please show all work.

Yeah, it won't solve any of the problems with them being in the game, only add new ones by having people now arguing about turning them on or off.

There will always be problems.

Not having an option would be a much bigger problem than being forced one way or the other do you not agree?

IMHO Possible solution would be separate servers for mods. I would be willing to re-roll on a no mod server just to avoid the complications associated with meters. People can have their meters I just don't want any part of them.

Funny how every controversial subject gets this response eventually: "We could have separate servers for X."

It's pretty obviously an unworkable solution when you realize how many people ask for separate servers either with or without their particular pet project/peeve.

So, yeah, not likely to happen.

Funny how every controversial subject gets this response eventually: "We could have separate servers for X."

It's pretty obviously an unworkable solution when you realize how many people ask for separate servers either with or without their particular pet project/peeve.

So, yeah, not likely to happen.

If there was a server I could join that gave me automatic 50's I would.

Is leveling a problem?

There will always be problems.

Not having an option would be a much bigger problem than being forced one way or the other do you not agree?

I wouldn't agree, to be honest. Consistency isn't a bad thing.

If this is an addon, people have the ability to not use a meter, so I think it's safe to assume, for the purposes of this argument, that they'd already have that option. Being able to turn off stat collection? To people who don't want others to see their performance, it's a plus. To those trying to assess how well their raid group is performing? It's a minus.

Whether being able to turn off stat collection is a plus or minus depends on which side of the argument you're on. In this case, having the option to turn it off isn't "better;" it's a wash. The goods are equal to the bads.

here's your DPS meter ....

Did you kill the mob?

if yes - your DPS was fine

if no - you need to work on your dps.

How do you know which player is derping along? What if you personally are doing great dps but 3 other people are doing horrible dps. You think you might be the one doing bad dps because the boss didn't die so you change things up and unknowingly are doing far worse?