Five reasons why I love playing SWTOR

fullfordim

Five reasons why I’ve been playing SWTOR, instead of the other 7+ MMORPGs I currently have installed…

1. An innovative fully-voice-acted story-based quest system that gives my character a personality and actually pulls me into the story, instead of me just hitting accept to countless quests and only going back to read them if I can’t figure out where to go, what to collect, or who to kill.

2. A beautifully rendered Star Wars universe set in the most interesting Star Wars era, as well as beautifully rendered characters with the most epic combat animations.

3. A brilliant companion system that lets me solo with a cool NPC that has so much more depth than a pet tank or mindless henchman, plus the ability to send them off to sell my crap, gather mats, or craft, so that I can keep questing instead of waiting time on in-game mundane chores.

4. A fantastically executed space combat rail-shooter – I would have thought that an open space combat sim would have been better, but once I tried it, I realized that I could experience all the fun of an epic space battle in my extremely cool ship/mobile player home, within the time it took me to fly to my next objective in SWG and start trying to destroy one ship by out-turning and out-aiming it.

5. A slew of seriously kick-butt storylines. I can’t wait for my bounty hunter to catch up to that Taro Blood bastard and burn that smug grin off his pretty-boy face. And I don’t remember ever feeling this involved in a character plot while playing any other MMO.

Thank you BW, your game ROCKS!

Edited by fullfordim

/bump - because this thread hit page 3 five minutes after I posted it :[

I agree with you on all counts!

BUT

There are a slew of "Really!?!?" moments,. and

I still think this game is hanging by a thread at times.:cool:

I am having a blast leveling and just enjoying all the aspects,..but I worry about the long-term. It's like,..I can see the edges,..

and past those edges is a sea of awesome potential.,..shadowed by doubt.

BioWare is like if you had a Kid performing in a school play,...and you are in the audience clapping and hoping they do well,...and that people remain in their seats!,..

:D

I disagree with #1 also, as this is not the first game to have voice-acting and story-driven questing.

No real "innovation" there.

I didn't mean it was the first 'game', I meant that it was the first MMORPG. The first non-MMO PC RPG game to do this successfully was... Oh yeah, by BW.

Thanks BioWare :]

Five reasons why I’ve been playing SWTOR, instead of the other 7+ MMORPGs I currently have installed…

1. An innovative fully-voice-acted story-based quest system that gives my character a personality and actually pulls me into the story, instead of me just hitting accept to countless quests and only going back to read them if I can’t figure out where to go, what to collect, or who to kill.

2. A beautifully rendered Star Wars universe set in the most interesting Star Wars era, as well as beautifully rendered characters with the most epic combat animations.

3. A brilliant companion system that lets me solo with a cool NPC that has so much more depth than a pet tank or mindless henchman, plus the ability to send them off to sell my crap, gather mats, or craft, so that I can keep questing instead of waiting time on in-game mundane chores.

4. A fantastically executed space combat rail-shooter – I would have thought that an open space combat sim would have been better, but once I tried it, I realized that I could experience all the fun of an epic space battle in my extremely cool ship/mobile player home, within the time it took me to fly to my next objective in SWG and start trying to destroy one ship by out-turning and out-aiming it.

5. A slew of seriously kick-butt storylines. I can’t wait for my bounty hunter to catch up to that Taro Blood bastard and burn that smug grin off his pretty-boy face. And I don’t remember ever feeling this involved in a character plot while playing any other MMO.

Totally agree. Thanks for the positive post.

I didn't mean it was the first 'game', I meant that it was the first MMORPG. The first non-MMO PC RPG game to do this successfully was... Oh yeah, by BW.

Thanks BioWare :]

Well,..it's definitely BW's stamp on there,..bring it to the MMO frontlines is what many refer to when they say Innovative.

There is some weird cross-pollination thing going on here,..

Single-player elements carried into MMO

and after playing BattleField3, I see more and more 'grindy' MMO elements showing up in there.!

BioWare is like if you had a Kid performing in a school play,...and you are in the audience clapping and hoping they do well,...and that people remain in their seats!,..

I think the perception created by all these negative posts is that a few people would be clapping and the rest would be sitting and booing. I think that in reality, it's completely the other way around. Of course it's impossible to tell for sure - I'm only going by the fact that everyone I know that is playing the game loves it, and none of them are active in the forums.

I do know that a negative perception created by a minority (or the media), can do serious damage to a good thing, regardless of reality or the majority.

(I was an employee of Arthur Andersen)

1. Agreed that my toon has personality. Still didn't pull me into the story. I ended up turning on subtitles and just space-bar reading through most of the stuff.

2. I don't think it's the most interesting era at all, I prefer the Jedi Academy era lol. And with the DRM/DLL artifically limiting textures, I don't think it's really that great. Some of the animations are pretty dope though, CV for Shadows takes the cake in my opinion.

3. Companions are pretty cool. Wish their usage was better though. Corso Riggs gripping everything still kind of sucks.

4. Space at 50 is totally useless unless you're into it. Offers you really nothing. The space missions were cool when I was leveling though. On rails...meh don't really feel too strongly about that or care.

5. Jedi Consular story-line was pretty interesting too, I'll agree here.

Not related to endgame

Not related to endgame

Not related to endgame

Semi related to endgame

Not related to endgame

If those things are what attracts you to swtor, you should really stick to single palyer games.

Personaly, I'm waiting to see what are operations and HM flashpoint like before deciding if this is an mmo for me

Not related to endgame

I haven't reached endgame yet, but it seems to me that if the leveling is fun, then the game is fun. If you're bored at endgame, why not play something else until the game expands. I took a whole year off of WoW when it got boring to me, and when I came back to it, I had even more fun than I did the first round.

I agree will all this is a great game...

I have played EQ1 for 7 years, EQ2 for 1year, WoW 6years, Champians, COH, Perfect World...

And SWTOR is the first real MMORPG feeling game I have played, the rest where just MMO with a leveling system SWTOR has brought the RPG feel to the MMO market for the first time and it's great.

I have been playing for a few months now since beta and I am really enjoying that game.. for those people that are complaining and are lvl 50 already.. take a step back and look at what there is to the game compared to any other game out there.. their's sooo much more to SWTOR... I can go on and on but it will just invite flamers and trolls and I don't want to do that.

This is a great game .. keep up the good work and please don't do what other games have done and fall into the grove of max level is where the game starts.. we should make leveling faster.. NO game starts a lvl 1 with a good rich fun story.

If those things are what attracts you to swtor, you should really stick to single palyer games.

Personaly, I'm waiting to see what are operations and HM flashpoint like before deciding if this is an mmo for me

And I think this is one of the biggest reasons why people get disappointed with MMOs in general. Some people believe that endgame MAKES the MMO, and the rest of the game is just some leveling process to get to the real game. Of course, playing that way, there is always going to be dissatisfaction once someone gets to endgame and everything is the same as other MMOs. However, an MMORPG is ALSO about the leveling process. And the fact that I can group while leveling, or join a guild and do things with them, or play PvP even when I'm not 50 is also part of the fun of this MMO. I cannot do any of those things in a single player RPG, but I can in this game, even if I haven't reached endgame yet. So no, I don't think it's valid to say "Go play a single player RPG", because at least this MMO offers something different than single player RPGs even before endgame.

In summary, some people's expectations may be inflated, specifically if they believe that MMORPG = endgame.

I think the perception created by all these negative posts is that a few people would be clapping and the rest would be sitting and booing. I think that in reality, it's completely the other way around. Of course it's impossible to tell for sure - I'm only going by the fact that everyone I know that is playing the game loves it, and none of them are active in the forums.

I do know that a negative perception created by a minority (or the media), can do serious damage to a good thing, regardless of reality or the majority.

(I was an employee of Arthur Andersen)

I agree with the first part.

If all the unsubs here were working for the media, then I would agree, they could hurt this game. But the reality is, these people are just whiny and vocal about their perceived problems with the game. Eventually they will be silenced and we will have the players who either love this game, are willing to put up with it despite it's flaws OR are still peeved with the game but will still with it until it 'gets better'. (The later, I hope will offer feedback rather than ragequitting).

Re: OP

Agree entirely. Love this game. Always nice to see to see that others aren't all doom and gloom.

There's no need to post how good hte game is, it exists on it's own merit.

Let the swtor haters seethe on that. We won't be seeing them after the 30 days and $60 they wasted on being trolls. Oh and if we do, that is just hilarious because they subbed to something they say they despise. Kind of like closet swtor players lol.

People go on about it being a 'single-player' game,..and I would agree with them on many counts,.

BUT

Pvp, to me in this game, accounts for a decent chunk of my playtime,..and PvP is, of course NOT single player.

Heroics and FP's,..well,...those are not Single player obviously( unless you are slumming it as a level50)

But most importantly,..

and I may just be lucky here,..I run with a RL friend and we duo the PvE stuff as much as we can and chat on Messenger.

Just that added thing alone can turn a seemingly 'single-player' game into more of a social pastime and turn a mundane dungeon crawl into a fulfilling experience.

SO go find friends!