The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

'Heavy' Servers still = a small population

Kirjava

Flaws in your thinking

• The average concurrent connections is 350k as of 2 weeks ago - I expect this has gone up now
  • The server distribution is timestretched - i.e. more users will be on in Europe and less in US at this time of day
  • Varying server pops vary - Who'd have thunked it???

I would suggest that on a Full server right now there are probably upwards of 6000 players, 3000 on each side, based on what I have seen travelling across my server.

Data is useless seing as everybody went back to work/school 4 days ago...

Who's flawed now, silly.

Edited by dargor-

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I come from a high pop server. Before they raised the cap we'd have over 1500 people in queue. So you're telling me that there were 0 people on the server at that time?

You don't know. So what's the point of discussion.

Were talking about concurrent players. There's definately likely to be a higher cap than 1200 on a server, but there's on average, around that amount on each server at any one time. Or at least that's what my maths show.

Also in regards to the figuires, many have questioned the validity of them now due to time passing etc, and I agree, I'm guessing they are likely different now.

I'd appreciate it, if we tried to keep the discussion focused on sharding, and population count across the board.

I didn't make this post, to be some kind of anti-bioware slant, that I think a few people seem to be taking it. I'm actually just trying to offer some constructive criticism in regards to sharding, which makes big worlds (especially higher level worlds) feel lifeless, due to both sharding and a low population on these higher planets.

I myself am a big fan of the game, I just think this aspect is a real problem, and will become much more apparent over the next few months, as people level up.

Edited by Kirjava

Prelaunch, "WHHAAAAA, TOO MANY PEOPLE!"

Postlaunch, "WHHAAAA, NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE!"

Goldilocks, "This porridge is just right!" :)

As much as I appreciate humour, I'd rather we try and keep to the topic in question. I'm interested to see people's thoughts, especially if they disagree with me, as it seems to affect quite a few people.

Normal stuff during this period in an MMO when people are mostly leveling. I've never felt remotely lonely, have always had the chance to group with others on my planet when I need to do a Heroic. There is no sharding if the populations are reasonable on a given instance (i.e. planet/zone), so that is just a red herring.

Much better than the alternative - heavy lag once we are all on our 50s.

Edited by Drallbait

those figures are still not appropriate as they are speculation not official numbers

No offense, but general discussion is supposed to be about... general discussion. That includes speculation. I'm not saying those figures are fact, but I am offering what information we do have.

Edited by Kirjava

No offense, but general discussion is supposed to be about... general discussion. That includes speculation. I'm not saying those figures are fact, but I am offering what information we do have.

The problem with this, people think it is a fact and don't realize it is just some number some analyst pulled out of his hat and called it a estimate and gets recognized for because of the company he/she belongs too. I could say that concurrent population estiamtes is 750k and would be just as much in the right as the other number is. In the end speculation only creates more speculation and isn't constructive. We really need the official numbers to come to any kind of conclusions.

Edited by Mr_Crueak

The problem with this, people think it is a fact and don't realize it is just some number some analyst pulled out of his hat and called it a estimate and gets recognized for because of the company he/she belongs too. I could say that concurrent population estiamtes is 750k and would be just as much in the right as the other number is. In the end speculation only creates more speculation and isn't constructive. We really need the official numbers to come to any kind of conclusions.

Ok, I've added in a disclaimer about the statistics at the end of the post, if that helps. :p

Ok, I've added in a disclaimer about the statistics at the end of the post, if that helps. :p

yeah should help, if people read that far :p

I have a pet peeve against speculations as they always tend to turn into so called "facts" so i do apologize if any of my posts were offensive.

I dont know, I was playing last night and Dromand Kaas had like 100+ people on it or so the counter at the top of my screen told me.

Yeah Drommund Kaas and the Fleet do have big populations. But are still sharded. The rest of the planets, especially after tatooine have much smaller amounts of people. Voss yesterday had 13.

yeah should help, if people read that far :p

I have a pet peeve against speculations as they always tend to turn into so called "facts" so i do apologize if any of my posts were offensive.

No worries, you have a fair point, and I don't want to mislead people, as to what the truth is.

Yeah Drommund Kaas and the Fleet do have big populations. But are still sharded. The rest of the planets, especially after tatooine have much smaller amounts of people. Voss yesterday had 13.

Not sure about you guys but on The Swiftsure republic fleet usually has 180-250 and every zone usually has 60-150. On none peak time hours its around 30-100 in every zone about the same in republic fleet. That doesn't even count the people in warzones, flashpoints, and other random instances throughout the game.

Fanboys never amaze lol it seems as they are fixing the server stats. When I go to planets qsting its never more than 10 people there with me and thats on a good day. The fleet never has more than 20 people of all lvs but my server never drops below high lol...so its obvious these heavy and high statuses are pure bs just put there to give people the impression that everyone is still playing when in reality most have stopped. It goes right in line with the high texture con they pulled on us. Edited by Poisonsenvy

Not sure about you guys but on The Swiftsure republic fleet usually has 180-250 and every zone usually has 60-150. On none peak time hours its around 30-100 in every zone about the same in republic fleet. That doesn't even count the people in warzones, flashpoints, and other random instances throughout the game.

I agree , Darth bandon server always has 60 to 180 per planet, and I am currently on Belsalvis.

I agree , Darth bandon server always has 60 to 180 per planet, and I am currently on Belsalvis.

That's just on the republic side too. I hear the Empire has like 50% more, not completely sure haven't rolled an empire char to look myself.

Fanboys never amaze lol it seems as they are fixing the server stats. When I go to planets qsting its never more than 10 people there with me and thats on a good day. The fleet never has more than 20 people of all lvs so its obvious these heavy and high statuses are pure bs just put there to give people the impression that everyone is still playing when in reality most have stopped. It goes right in line with the high texture con they pulled on us.

I don't believe people have stopped playing. I just believe the population cap as well as sharding are creating this situation. My own server is full some of the time, so this leads me to think population cap is set pretty low.

Fanboys never amaze lol it seems as they are fixing the server stats. When I go to planets qsting its never more than 10 people there with me and thats on a good day. The fleet never has more than 20 people of all lvs so its obvious these heavy and high statuses are pure bs just put there to give people the impression that everyone is still playing when in reality most have stopped. It goes right in line with the high texture con they pulled on us.

Perhaps you could tell what server you are seeing this on so that people can see for themselves instead of just disregarding you as a hater.

I don't understand people. If population is that big of a deal on your server, just reroll on a higher population server? It doesn't take long to lvl to 50.

I'm on a server that's Heavy/Full. Please read the OP before responding.

I'm on a server that's Heavy/Full. Please read the OP before responding.

I did read the OP. You are assuming that the population on servers is evenly distributed and its not. Pretty sure I heard somewhere that they are getting rid of instancing once more people hit 50.

Again, if people have an issue with their server population reroll on a different server. My server is standard - full depending on the time of day and there is always 30-150 people on every planet.