The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

'Heavy' Servers still = a small population

Kirjava

so in summation:

OP: "Servers seem really dead, I rarely see people."

FANBOIS: "No wai!! Servers are super crowded i see tons of people like sometimes more than 50 on my server, please not be leaving this game is fun with soon to be server merges even though its super crowded!"

Also... the /who command doesn't even function properly half the time so who knows how many people are on whatever planet?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what do you expect? Of the 1,000 people that are propably playing at the same time per faction, there should be 500 on one planet to make you feel homely? Well, it will propably come to this, but it will take a few months for every player to reach the levelcap with their main.

Also if there are 75+ players in my instance of a planet, there are propably 120+ players total on the planet and that should really suffice to find a group for heroics. At least for me it always did.

Also it doesn't really impede my personal experience when I don't fall over another player every two squarefeet. I want to group when it's due and when I'm doing solo-quests, I really like to do them solo. Alone. Withount anyone around me the make life easier for me, or killing that dude I needed to kill.

Perhaps it's an issue of where players are at in the game. But currently, on planets like belsavis and Voss, your looking at around 4-20 players on planet.

The thing is, your right, the game is great for solo play. Also when I hit max level, I'll be doing flashpoints, and quests with the rest of my guild, so the population won't bother me so much, and those at the end game is getting bigger, so they'll be a bigger population there.

But if you see the cut off of player after tatooine currently, the world feel empty and life less.

Even on the more populated planets, when instances of the planet become 'full' at around 75 as one person stated earlier, the world just seems incredibly under-populated. Especially when your on an RP server, where population and community are pretty important.

so in summation:

FANBOIS: "No wai!! Servers are super crowded i see tons of people like sometimes more than 50 on my server, please not be leaving this game is fun with soon to be server merges even though its super crowded!"

Also... the /who command doesn't even function properly half the time so who knows how many people are on whatever planet?

Heaven forbid we share our experiences about our own servers :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's an issue of where players are at in the game. But currently, on planets like belsavis and Voss, your looking at around 4-20 players on planet.

The thing is, your right, the game is great for solo play. Also when I hit max level, I'll be doing flashpoints, and quests with the rest of my guild, so the population won't bother me so much, and those at the end game is getting bigger, so they'll be a bigger population there.

But if you see the cut off of player after tatooine currently, the world feel empty and life less.

Even on the more populated planets, when instances of the planet become 'full' at around 75 as one person stated earlier, the world just seems incredibly under-populated. Especially when your on an RP server, where population and community are pretty important.

Okay, the RP-argument is absolutely valid, because for that you really need players around you. But for a normal PvE-server it's even better that there arent that many players in my vicinity. It makes me feel more like the hero my character is supposed to be and yet there are still enough people on the planet to form a group when needed. They just have to gather somewhere.

so in summation:

So people sharing their experience based on their own server showing that averaging and speculation isn't fact makes them fanbois?

Imagine after the 20th, after a TON of people will be leaving.

It's really sad to see, even now.. you maybe see one or two people leveling with you. Feels like a single player game.

I never understood that particular argument: While you are solo-questing it obviously is scaled for one person, so it doesn't hurt if there is nobody around. And if you want to do heroics, there are (at least in my experience) always enough people around to form a group, which I always managed in under 5 minutes on every palent from Korriban to Taris.

So is it really "MMO-feeling" if you see hunderds of of people with blue/gree/red nameplates buzzing around you doing their thing, while you do yours, whith no interaction whatsoever? Because that's what mostly happens in any MMO when a lot of players are together in one point.

Edited by CaptainHagbard

It's really sad to see, even now.. you maybe see one or two people leveling with you. Feels like a single player game.

See... I don't really agree. I think the game is doing well at the moment. I just have a problem with the population cap and sharding used for servers. Which I do think (over time) may start to have a negative effect on players. Especially when players get more spread out during the next few months, in terms of level.

Edited by Kirjava

so in summation:

so why am I a fanboy because I have seen people.. Sounds like you are just trolling and trying to bully anyone who says that they have seen other people.. That is a really pathetic way to argue and shows immaturity and insecurity.

In Summation: Grow up

Edited by corbanite

Yes i'm sure , by the 20 there will 50 people per server , maybe 600-800 subs if lucky :rolleyes:

There are 251 servers with around 300,000 concurrent players. This equals an average of 1200 online on each server. That's essentially 600 players per faction. Generally half of this population is either on the fleet or drommund Kaas on my server. Meaning there's about 300 people spread across the 7 other worlds, PvP, flashpoints.

Not only are server populations tiny at the moment, but the use of sharding on planets is bewildering. Most planets are bigger than zones you find in MMO's that don't use sharding.

We get these massive beautifully realised worlds, with absolutely no one populating them. They need to increase population and get rid of sharding.

Have to agree with it.

Their instancing is WORSE than STO instancing.

The game feels so dead even though it might not be,it scary.Instancing in an MMO is a NO NO if you ask me.Takes away that whole "MASSIVE" thing.

Edited by HerrFett

For some reason, I had assumed server populations were higher than that, but those numbers would explain -so much-.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting their by any means representational of every server, but that's the average from what we know about concurrent users and the amount of servers.

Edited by Kirjava

I'm on an East Coast server, and I log in at around 9p EST M-F.

My server is always "standard" at that time (most east coast servers are "heavy").

My absolute end play time is around 1 am EST S-Thurs nights, and when I log off, my server is one of the few East Coast servers that's still "standard" (most east coast servers are "light").

I take from that I am generally seeing the "standard" population nearly all the time through the weekdays. Maybe it's one that central time zone players gravitated to, I don't know.

I'm Empire.

It feels empty.

I am 50, and I saw ONE Republic player the entire level up process (I hit 50 last night, and did not go to Ilum). That was on Voss.

Healers have been impossible to find at my level since I left the low 20's. My guild has around 9 or 10 50's right now, but only 1 of those is heals (recently recruited), and generally about 20 people on at any given time.

When I see another player out in the world while I'm leveling (once past Balmorra), frankly, I'm always a little surprised.

But going back to Korriban to do my last class quest around midnight last night, there were 50 people on Korriban. Re-rolls? New players? There had been 3 on Corellia besides me (and 2 of those were guildmates at 48 and 49) when I left there.

To me its completely dumb to not want the best GFX for you game its MMO immersion is everything when i look at my champion gear i feel like im looking at an old model from WoW 5 years ago that just isnt right....flat out

:waves hand: This isn't the thread you're looking for.

Did someone hack Papazooki's account?

Yeah, I'm not suggesting their by any means representational of every server, but that's the average from what we know about concurrent users and the amount of servers.

we don't even know what the real concurrent users aare, so how can we even know the average amount players per servers? The only numbers we've seen about concurrent users are unofficial numbers from a uk analyst expert that has no clue. For all we know his number could be wrong by a couple hundred k one way or the other.

Edited by Mr_Crueak

Of cause the later planets are going to seem dead, why? because theres 2 big waves of players the hardcore & played it a lot group who will already be at lvl 50. And the other wave who and have yet to reach these zones due to time restrictions/altitis etc (this is easy seen if you go back to earlier planets some have 3 shards on my server, given that these planets shards max out at ~100 people that means between 2&3 hundred on them at peak time). Edited by Kotli

I can remember the link at work right now but there is a census site showing totals for factions.

One of the problems right now is that if you're saying 1200 per server, it is not 600/600

The current ratio is around 4 or 5:1 so for every 4 to 5 imps there is one rep.

You can see this if you roll a toon on the opposite faction. The numbers are heavily skewed in favor of the Empire. I wish I would have went imp now :( Im sick of only seeing 9 people in Vos...and LOTS of imps running around going bonkers ganking.