'Heavy' Servers still = a small population

Kirjava

There are 251 servers with around 300,000 concurrent players. This equals an average of 1200 online on each server. That's essentially 600 players per faction. Generally half of this population is either on the fleet or drommund Kaas on my server. Meaning there's about 300 people spread across the 7 other worlds, PvP, flashpoints.

Not only are server populations tiny at the moment, but the use of sharding on planets is bewildering. Most planets are bigger than zones you find in MMO's that don't use sharding.

We get these massive beautifully realised worlds, with absolutely no one populating them. They need to increase population and get rid of sharding.

Edit: Due to various comment's it seems the concurrent players figure was around 350,000. So that now makes almost 1400 players on average per server. Which would be around 700 players per side. (Which in fact doesn't take note of the faction imbalance). Here the link to the article - here

Sidenote: Can we try and keep this discussion on topic. I'm a big fan of the game, but I do see this as an issue.

Disclaimer: While I used data from the article, this is indeed speculation on the information from that site. As another poster pointed out. It is important to understand these figures are not necessarily fact, as bioware have not said whether or not the site in question is right. So I leave it up to you, to interpret those statistics and their factual merit.

Edited by Kirjava

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 251 servers with around 300,000 concurrent players. This equals an average of 1200 online on each server. That's essentially 600 players per faction. Generally half of this population is either on the fleet or drommund Kaas on my server. Meaning there's about 300 people spread across the 7 other worlds, PvP, flashpoints.

Not only are server populations tiny at the moment, but the use of sharding on planets is bewildering. Most planets are bigger than zones you find in MMO's that don't use sharding.

We get these massive beautifully realised worlds, with absolutely no one populating them. They need to increase population and get rid of sharding.

600 per side is optimistic to say the least.

Agreed. Looking for a group in mid-range level planets on the "heavy" servers is more challenging than running the missions. This shouldn't be a issue for a game that is less than a month into post-Christmas launch. Something is terribly wrong here.

600 per side is optimistic to say the least.

On my server at the moment, I felt like I was playing a lobby game like Diablo or LoL. Literally 13 people on Voss. Even lower level planets like Nar Shaddaa only have around 30 people, and my servers supposedly one of the biggest RP servers.

Our server had multiple shards of Tat with 100+ people in each last night. We regularly have 300 people on the fleet. I haven't had a queue in over 2 weeks on this server.

Averaging doesn't work that well, obviously. Find a heavier populated server.

Edited by VicSkimmr

300K concurrent was the very highest peak during the holidays.

I doubt we're getting anywhere close to 300K concurrent lately. Last night on my server there were 3 people on Hoth and I was the only person on Corellia. My guildy said he was one of 6 people on Tatooine.

I mean, it's getting sad now.

It's 'heavy lags'/'abilities lock' in a team of four, I wouldnt want to see more than three other players ever in this game.

I sometimes wonder if this game uses sharding, because it can't hand populations bigger than 100. I mean you only need to go to the fleet and you fps will have a massive drop.

But the whole sharding concept seems absolutely stupid, espcially on planets higher level, where they are absolutely massive.

what is this "sharting" you keep referring to?

Sharding - this means when a population on one planet gets to a certain point, a second version of that planet is made. Which means planets on each server are restricted to somewhere between 150-200 players, and then they put any new people arriving to the planet in a second version of it.

I also feel as the OP does; Population on my server seems very underwhelming (Wound in the Force), which is regularly "Full" on peak times.

I feel the server is a ghost town outside of the Imperial Fleet. I realize a lot to do with this is all the instancing, mostly because of story, but I still would like to see a little more people around.

However, I don't really know how much they can increase server capacity without sacrificing lag issues during peak times due to all the dedicated zones for players due to story. Hopefully BioWare addresses this issue because I feel it's a problem, but I'm not sure how many others find it a problem.

Strange... Yesterday I was on Tatooine, Korriban, Taris, Dromund Kaas, Alderaan, Nar Shaddaa and the Fleet of course (the class quest sent me around a bit and I played an Alt) and every Planet (or ship) had at least 50 players, in the case of Alderaan and Tatooine there even were two instances with 75+ players in the one I was in. Even at 3am (I really should not let this game consume 30%+ of my usual sleeping-time) there were still 45 players at the Fleet.

So no: I haven't noticed a lack of players.

I also feel as the OP does; Population on my server seems very underwhelming (Wound in the Force), which is regularly "Full" on peak times.

I feel the server is a ghost town outside of the Imperial Fleet. I realize a lot to do with this is all the instancing, mostly because of story, but I still would like to see a little more people around.

However, I don't really know how much they can increase server capacity without sacrificing lag issues during peak times due to all the dedicated zones for players due to story. Hopefully BioWare addresses this issue because I feel it's a problem, but I'm not sure how many others find it a problem.

I really just miss being able to bump into the enemy on planets, or even people from your own side. I rarely meet anyone on my travels, and similarly I'm on a server that is full at times (Lord Adraas).

Agreed. Looking for a group in mid-range level planets on the "heavy" servers is more challenging than running the missions. This shouldn't be a issue for a game that is less than a month into post-Christmas launch. Something is terribly wrong here.

I'll tell you what's wrong here... They hired people from Mythic... If they were any good, then Warhammer Online would have succeeded.

Edited by Thamelas

err what? we're on the same server. where are you going that you don't see anybody around? the planets are enormous at later levels so there could easily be 100+ people playing together and you won't see more than a handful of them.

WoW reportedly has 260k concurrent users. It has 491 servers in the US and the EU combined. You do the math. Doesn't look good either does it? What this shows is that trying to produce individual server figures with averages doesn't work. Edited by Mandrax

Strange... Yesterday I was on Tatooine, Korriban, Taris, Dromund Kaas, Alderaan, Nar Shaddaa and the Fleet of course (the class quest sent me around a bit and I played an Alt) and every Planet (or ship) had at least 50 players, in the case of Alderaan and Tatooine there even were two instances with 75+ players in the one I was in. Even at 3am (I really should not let this game consume 30%+ of my usual sleeping-time) there were still 45 players at the Fleet.

So no: I haven't noticed a lack of players.

That's a tiny amount of players per planet your quoting, especially when you start to see the size of planets like Alderaan, Taris, Belsavis, Voss.

Edited by Kirjava

WoW reportedly has 260k concurrent users. It has 491 servers in the US and the EU combined. You do the math. Doesn't look good either does it? What this shows is that trying to produce individual server figures with averages doesn't work.

The thing is, WoW doesn't shard it's servers, so populations aren't capped per zone...

and before every starts the whole WoW vs TOR thing, can we just move on from that, and actually just focus on this particular issue of TOR in this thread.

Edited by Kirjava

My server is always full and have several instances. But the good thing is they didn't listen to all the idiots at EGA and put up 300 servers for people to be so spread out that they it would appear the game is dead after the first month. They can slowly migrate the light population servers into standards in the coming months. But just because your server is empty doesn't mean there isn't anyone playing b/c you can find a busy server and see right away that is not the case.

That's a tiny amount of players per planet your quoting, especially when you start to see the size of planets like Alderaan, Taris, Belsavis, Voss.

So what do you expect? Of the 1,000 people that are propably playing at the same time per faction, there should be 500 on one planet to make you feel homely? Well, it will propably come to this, but it will take a few months for every player to reach the levelcap with their main.

Also if there are 75+ players in my instance of a planet, there are propably 120+ players total on the planet and that should really suffice to find a group for heroics. At least for me it always did.

Also it doesn't really impede my personal experience when I don't fall over another player every two squarefeet. I want to group when it's due and when I'm doing solo-quests, I really like to do them solo. Alone. Withount anyone around me the make life easier for me, or killing that dude I needed to kill.

Edited by CaptainHagbard

Funny I have been repeatedly annoyed the last few days for their were so many people on-the planets I was going through doing the same quests as me and making it hard for me to due bonuses and such cause all the mobs were being killed off. I was so happy when the quest involved going into a phase since it meant no interference from other players. :p I

The plants I have been going to around the peek hours have somewhere in the ball park of 100 to 200 just on my faction side on the planet. Also once the number gets around 70 I have always started noticing other players around me questing and doing things as well. If you opened your eyes and take a second to look around and not just be mounted moving from point a to b on the map you would probably notice people moving about as well all over the map doing things.

Honestly this copy and past the worlds feel empty has been far from the truth for me I see to many people sometimes. I would actually like a little less during peek hours personally. (at least while I am solo questing :cool:))