Giamonti-prime's Merc Pyrotech Guide

tconeal

Dude, we will speak again when patch 1.1 with its bracket for 50s hit the servers. It will be very soon. :p Then you return here and tell us how good you are against whole team of champion equipped 50s.

Just thought I would check in and say that last night was still great for me ;)

I did try a few times to solo the whole team, but as before, it just didn't work! I just can't figure out why?!:rolleyes:

I played Arsenal spec all last week, and while the silly numbers being thrown around were enjoyable, I still prefer Pyro and speced back. It's just more fluid to me.

So, in short, Pyro is quite viable even with level 50 brackets.

Thanks!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First THANK YOU.

I read this thread and then started trying PvP with my level 20 Pryo and I'm mopping the floor with people :D I'm generally pulling top 1-3 dps and serriously helping our team reach our objectives. Its really fun to make 50's sad pandas as a level 20 kites them or LOS's them. You're right about the kill/death ration getting very pretty as you start to play this correctly. A well played pyro is like a snake spitting venom... you can keep chopping at it's tail but you play hell getting to the head.

I am debating on my final build (obviouslly its early) but thinking between:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMckZfhMbdGGMs.1

I like the idea of rapid venting as it pushes for DPS agression/burst.

and

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300MMZMcoZfhMbdGGMs.1

Which looses 2% crit and has a 9 heat higher powershot exchanged for 16 more heat loss on a 1:30 min cooldown.

I don't agree with the healing buffs... I think they're just too costly for DPS. But the venting buffs could result in being able to harshly burst all the way into our heat redzone then fully recover from it every 90 seconds. From what I've seen so far this may be what I go for.

I have been rocking the first spec that you have listed, and must say I LOVE it far more than anything arsenal. I grew incredibly bored with tracer missile spam and gave pyro a try. I love that I can remain incredibly mobile, kite and do massive amounts of damage. I will be honest, I hate merc survivability but I suppose we cannot have it all. Our damage output is so great that it makes up for it. On top of it, being as mobile as pyro is, done and done. Not sure I will go back to arsenal again.

I easily have the most damage output in almost all of wz's and that is basically what a merc should be doing. Pair the damage with knock-backs, the occasional heal and that is what you should be doing in warzones.

Just a question, why isnt anyone picking Automated Defenses?

I myself am a bodyguard but im gathering dps gear. And i wanna try pyro out. Thats like a free insta heal very often. Or am i missing something?

Edited by Bailah
Spelling..

Sup, interesting Guide + Convo going here.

I'm a LvL 50 Pyrotech on switftsure, Been playing pyrotech since day 1 of early release.

I can tell everyone not to underestimate a pyrotech. When it comes to matches, i generally come in first or second in the Kill/Death ratio and top 3 damage..... in the ENTIRE warzone. Further more, I'm proud to state that I have NEVER been out Damaged by an Arsenal of similar gear. Also, I have personally found that Pyrotech is a 1V1 master.

The Best Stats to Focus on is the following:

Aim

End

Crit

Pwer

Surge rating is almost useless for a Pyrotech..... heres why: DoT hits for EX 400, Crit multiplier 50 turns that into 600..... Surge rating turns that one crit instead into an 700.... ooo big whoop. Pyrotech's kill with a thousand bug bites not a broadsword down the torso.

I have a Crit Chance of 45% with trinket i get 20Secs of 51%. So in short 1 outa 2 ticks on Dots will Crit. Power increases the base damage which means increased Crits plus not crits = heavier sustained bursts. A Good pyrotech can apply and KEEP 3-4 Dots on an individual. While they tick you can open up with other abilies such as Thermal Det (Or in my case explosive Dart perfer the AOE at death) Rail Shot (Which if used correctly will reappply a Dot) And an unload or powershot (Sometimes followed by yet another rail shot)

Most of my DoTs are getting in the Vicinity AVG (Across the board) 700-800 DMG per Tick. This ADDS UP.

Pyrotechs also gave amazing close Qtr Brawling abilities. (Note Close Qtr not Hand to hand combat). I usually laugh when a jedi knight jumps in on me, cuz i've already DoTed him up by that time so i just strafe while appling a rail shot followed by a flame thrower. (NEVER underestimate that ability. It WILL save ur life.)

Now, In addition to this, I have met a Pyrotech before who i admire alot. In Warzones that i've played with him he avges about 300k Dmg and 35-50 kills. I'm not over exaggerating.

Couple of closing notes:

1: Pyrotech does NOT... i repeat..... DOES NOT have a set cycle. It has around 3 different cycles all inter changable depending on the situation and range.

2: Pyrotech, unfortunately, requires some brains and situation awareness to be good at.

3:Unlike Arsenal, if a Pyrotech stands still..... well ur dead. You Must.... I say again MUST stay on the move. There is almost Zero Damage difference between a Mobile Pyro and a Stationary one, except u lack survivability stuff Arsenal has.

Level 27... upgraded my weapons... sometimes just sometimes I feel bad for the other players. I'm pushing 200-260k nearly every match now. One vs one very few classes can keep pace. Generally I only loose a one vs one if my cooldowns are down and I'm down some health.

Our barrage of dots + instants are fantastic fun. I am starting to see one class that counters us rather hard up close and thats a shadow tank. There are VERY few shadow tanks on my server, but they are incredibly deadly up close and they have a number of different active healing options which make them difficult to take down.

The one I encountered, was toast if we started at range. But one time she pinned me up close and I met my match... she may have used a med pack but I'm not sure. She was actively healing quickly though while doing damage. When well played they will definately be a challenge for a BH hunter (and many other classes) I actually play a shadow tank on repulic side of my server and I'll be surprised if they don't see nerfs if that class mix ever catches serrious popularity.

Also I haven't seen a single arsenal BH or the Trooper counterpart keep pace. We just have such wonderful damage on the run... and being on the run = higher survivability if you choose your placement right.

Can't wait for 50 I suspect it will be quite enjoyable.

Edited by Katlyna

@DarthGraveyard

Yeah. Pyrotech Mercenaries are definitely a scary thing to fight against. Especially if you're melee. I've killed Operatives that brought me down to 1000 HP in the initial burst but who never could finish me afterward because of Sweltering Heat and Energy Shield.

I personally dislike Flamethrower. Usually because my instinct is to get as far away from the enemy as possible. (I would only use it in the bomb-planting warzone.) But hey, I always enjoy a new way to kill people.

As far as stats go, the problem is that Critical rarely comes packaged with Power; otherwise, everyone and their mom would be stacking these stats. It's usually one or the other. That being said, I usually stack Critical and Surge, but I have been looking into Critical and Accuracy recently. Tech Accuracy is by default 100%, so every point of Accuracy is a direct reduction in enemy defense.

What do you think about the Degauss/Infrared Sensors/Energy Rebounder/Automated Defenses skill choice? Which should be taken? I'm currently doing 2 Degauss and 2 Infrared Sensors, but lately, I have been considering switching from Infrared Sensors to Energy Rebounder. Energy Shield has been very important in keeping me mobile and durable.

Edited by Suzut

Personally i find degauss to be a waste of points, in a 3/7/31 build i only have enough points for 1 of these "fluff" talents and personally i am a fan of energy rebounder, most of the slows in this game that own you are channeled or no cooldown, plus i would much rather be using my energy shield when i need to tank damage rather than use it to try and escape from someone, and the amount of additional shields you can get off during a warzone with it is pretty good.

I really dont have any issues finding stealthers without infrared sensors so i really dont see the point in the talent.

Thanks for the guide and all the info in this thread.

ive been playing arsenal since day one and I made the switch yesterday and I'm in love with pyrotech now <3

My damage is just as high if not higher, very mobile , and very dangerous in 1v1 fight if you use LoS properly.

Only downside I guess is you need to manage your heat a little better.

Question :: do you only use powershot when unload is on CD? I have not really found a good place for it in my rotation.

When im lining up a huge burst on someone with TD -> power shot -> rail shot i like power shot because you can get them all to hit at the same time, and in a free casting scenario power shot will do more damage because you can get off 2 power shots in the time you would get off 1 unload.

In a situation where you are chasing someone down quickly using unload to try and refresh rail shot is a useful tactic and when you are fighting a melee at close quarters using unload is better because even if they interupt it you already did some damage and possibly reset your rail shot.

then again, i spec for muzzle fluting, if for some reason you do not spec muzzle fluting i would definitely prioritize unload every time.

Edited by Juicenewtonz

Level 27... upgraded my weapons... sometimes just sometimes I feel bad for the other players. I'm pushing 200-260k nearly every match now. One vs one very few classes can keep pace. Generally I only loose a one vs one if my cooldowns are down and I'm down some health.

Our barrage of dots + instants are fantastic fun. I am starting to see one class that counters us rather hard up close and thats a shadow tank. There are VERY few shadow tanks on my server, but they are incredibly deadly up close and they have a number of different active healing options which make them difficult to take down.

The one I encountered, was toast if we started at range. But one time she pinned me up close and I met my match... she may have used a med pack but I'm not sure. She was actively healing quickly though while doing damage. When well played they will definately be a challenge for a BH hunter (and many other classes) I actually play a shadow tank on repulic side of my server and I'll be surprised if they don't see nerfs if that class mix ever catches serrious popularity.

Also I haven't seen a single arsenal BH or the Trooper counterpart keep pace. We just have such wonderful damage on the run... and being on the run = higher survivability if you choose your placement right.

Can't wait for 50 I suspect it will be quite enjoyable.

If the Shadow tank is anything like the Darkness Assassin, you should avoid getting within 10 meters of it at all costs. Even in tank spec, they can spit out 300-350k damage, heal themselves for 450 every 4.5 seconds by simply swinging their weapon, and have two very viable tanking specs - one of which is a hybrid that gives them access to a second instant stun, as well as an out-of-stealth knockdown and force pull.

Save your "oh ****" buttons for when they use that pull, and kite at 20+ meters.

(My main is a Darkness Assassin specced 23/0/18...although, I'm considering making her a biochemist mule and switching my "main" status to my fledgling Merc. Not because Assassins are bad as many terrible players seem to think, but because blowing things up or setting people on fire makes me happier than shooting lightning and wearing a skirt)

I find myself using powershot fairly infrequently, though maybe more at later levels when I have the 8 point heat reduction.

What I've noticed is we have penty of instants to run our heat up before we even get to power shot so I almost always opt for unload since its heat cost is usually nil. If heat is good I'm launching a fusion missle.

So from what I've seen there are very few good openings where I feel my heat level is low and power shot feels right.

Personally i find degauss to be a waste of points, in a 3/7/31 build i only have enough points for 1 of these "fluff" talents and personally i am a fan of energy rebounder, most of the slows in this game that own you are channeled or no cooldown, plus i would much rather be using my energy shield when i need to tank damage rather than use it to try and escape from someone, and the amount of additional shields you can get off during a warzone with it is pretty good.

I really dont have any issues finding stealthers without infrared sensors so i really dont see the point in the talent.

So... you do Gyroscopic Alignment Jets and Energy Rebounder?

Do you mind posting your spec?

Edited by Suzut

I am currently thinking of moving my points from Degauss into Energy Rebounder:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMckZfhMbdGGMs.1

Degauss is nice, but I find that I use it more for the damage reduction than the snare break.

Anyhow, I really find Infrared Sensors to be important. It pretty much makes it impossible for someone to stealth in front of you.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMckZcGrbzGGMs.1

maybe system calibrations might be slightly better than cardio package, but i can recall multiple times ive lived on only 1-2% hp while i cant recall any scenario where 4% faster cast times have made a difference.

Move 2 from hired muscle to improved vents and 1 from advanced targeting into cardio package and you have le perfect pyro build :)

@other guy, Yes I dont spec into degauss anymore, simply because I never pop it to remove slows, I end up popping it as soon as I get focused on to reduce damage. Alot of slows have really short cds, so it turns out to be a huge waste of 2 points.

Move 2 from hired muscle to improved vents and 1 from advanced targeting into cardio package and you have le perfect pyro build :)

@other guy, Yes I dont spec into degauss anymore, simply because I never pop it to remove slows, I end up popping it as soon as I get focused on to reduce damage. Alot of slows have really short cds, so it turns out to be a huge waste of 2 points.

Yeah. My thinking is similar.

What do you think of Infrared Sensors? Should we use that or Gyroscopic Alignment Jets? (It's hard to evaluate the thing, since I am not sure if I would have spotted stealthed targets without it.)

Honestly I dont think you should go infrared. If you have constant problems with stealthies I guess you could, but I have 0 problems with stealth classes and by the time I see them in stealth and able to react, they already open up on me. I think the points are better spent elsewhere.

P.s. The defense bonus isnt much at allllllll

When im lining up a huge burst on someone with TD -> power shot -> rail shot i like power shot because you can get them all to hit at the same time, and in a free casting scenario power shot will do more damage because you can get off 2 power shots in the time you would get off 1 unload.

In a situation where you are chasing someone down quickly using unload to try and refresh rail shot is a useful tactic and when you are fighting a melee at close quarters using unload is better because even if they interupt it you already did some damage and possibly reset your rail shot.

then again, i spec for muzzle fluting, if for some reason you do not spec muzzle fluting i would definitely prioritize unload every time.

What do you think about the Stabilizers spec, that reduces pushback on PS and Unload?

I dont use power shot or unload enough while being focused to warrant taking it over 6% crit tbh

Exactly. Heres how I see it, If a melee class is on you, you should be kiting and not casting power shot in his face...

Ranged class? What pushback? Your supposed to be los'ing those guys till they die :)

Edited by tconeal

P.s. The defense bonus isnt much at allllllll

Nor is the HP increase from Cardio Package.

The only reason it's better than System Calibrations is because Pyros only have one ability that Alacrity affects, and we don't use it that much anyway.

But putting 3 into Cardio Package is a monumental waste of efficient talent usage. Its only usefulness is to get you up to the second tier.

The reason I take Gyroscopic Alignment Jets, is so you can feel good about being incapacitated. I take that instead of Infrared and Degauss. "Ooh, I got knocked back/force choked...sweet." However, if I found myself wanting the lowered stealth detection CD, Gyroscopic is the talent to be swapped. (If we get stunned, we're already venting heat just by being inactive)

One thing to remember about Pyrotech - the more heat you vent, the more your overall DPS can increase. The more often you can burst down, and the more targets you can light up in succession. Any "venting" talent is a direct damage upgrade for us. Things like Degauss and Infrared are only situationally effective. But your survivability is primarily tied into your own instinct and ability to choose your situation carefully...so the more venting you can take the better.

My build is 4/6/31 - I'm not there yet, but I plan on going through the build and the levels in Pyro, not even using Arsenal to hit 50 "cuz it's easier". If anything, any added challenge I can give myself the better. (This game is quite easy, especially for BH and Mako combo) Plus I'll be farming WZs as I level, rather than just at cap...so all Pyro all the way.

Edited by Stranded_Law