So 2 weeks and 42 champ bags later...

swilkers

All I have to show for it is 126 centurion commendations. This is getting a bit silly. I'm valor 57, and only have 2 champ armor set pieces, no mainhand, bracers (though i've gotten 5 of these).

I hate whining for the sake of whining and don't really want to make a "poor me" post, but this is seriously a problem. Quite simply I am not being rewarded for my time invested in pvp. I really enjoy pvp, but its at the point where I'm relatively outgeared by people who hit 50 a few days ago.

Seeing as how Juggernaut is a very very gear dependent class this is getting to the point where I am just failing to find reasons to give a crap. I love pvp, and hell I even actually enjoy most of the warzones save huttball, but its like I'm being rewarded with a constant kick in the nuts.

I'm not completely opposed to the rngish system but there absolutely HAS to be something in place to ensure this doesnt happen. I'm damn close to canceling my account just out of the sheer frustration of it. Opening that 42nd bag and still getting a whole lot of jack and sh*t was quite possibly the most soul sucking thing I have experienced in any MMO.

Edited by swilkers

All I have to show for it is 126 centurion commendations. This is getting a bit silly. I'm valor 57, and only have 2 champ armor set pieces, no mainhand, bracers (though i've gotten 5 of these).

I hate whining for the sake of whining and don't really want to make a "poor me" post, but this is seriously a problem. Quite simply I am not being rewarded for my time invested in pvp. I really enjoy pvp, but its at the point where I'm relatively outgeared by people who hit 50 a few days ago.

Seeing as how Juggernaut is a very very gear dependent class this is getting to the point where I am just failing to find reasons to give a crap. I love pvp, and hell I even actually enjoy most of the warzones save huttball, but its like I'm being rewarded with a constant kick in the nuts.

I'm not completely opposed to the rngish system but there absolutely HAS to be something in place to ensure this doesnt happen. I'm damn close to canceling my account just out of the sheer frustration of it. Opening that 42nd bag and still getting a whole lot of jack and sh*t was quite possibly the most soul sucking thing I have experienced in any MMO.

I got the main hand on the very first box I opened, and then two boxes later, I got it again. Since then, nothing.

You steal my post :/ Same crap

I opened like a hundred of them and have most of my set now. I'd advise you to collect 10-15 bags and open them one by one instead of opening one after another. The random number generator is suppose to create randomness over a short period, so there's a lot higher chance of getting an item if you roll a dozen times instead of once per day.

I got all of my items this way. Didn't get even one when opening four bags a day.

Regards,

Kalantris

I opened like a hundred of them and have most of my set now. I'd advise you to collect 10-15 bags and open them one by one instead of opening one after another. The random number generator is suppose to create randomness over a short period, so there's a lot higher chance of getting an item if you roll a dozen times instead of once per day.

I got all of my items this way. Didn't get even one when opening four bags a day.

That's just silly. RNG is an RNG. It's random. I've opened my bags whenever I've gotten one (all 3 at once in case of getting the weekly) and got 7 pieces of Champ so far, out of ~16 bags. (which makes me pretty lucky I guess, and completely opposite to your experience).

Edited by Youmu

You're lying about being rank 57 if you ONLY have 126 Tokens. I'm, rank 57 and have bought 2 weapons = 146 tokens, Head slot = 35?, Bracers = 25?, 2x Implants, 50? and have 50-60 tokens on my character. So I've earned around 260-300+ tokens at same Valor rank. Unless you did EXCEPTIONALLY more PvP than I sub 50, you are lying.

Edited by MorluCa

I'm rank 60 and I bought a lightsaber, belt, helm, and shield and that's all the commendations I have. I do have a full set of blue PvP gear. That'd be around 4000 commendations, but that'd still only be 15 more Centurion commendations. If you make good use of the +200 per WZ buff from Ilum, you can have relatively few commendations for a high valor rank, especially if you lose a lot of games (+200 per WZ is actually more useful when you lose a lot of games quickly). I don't consider my luck to be very good, since I see people with full champion visible at their low 50s and I'm still wearing blue glove and boots. I suspect getting 3 relics and 5 relics from my champion bags, and that getting a champion lightsaber immediately after I bought the centurion one had something to do with my relative lack of equipment, but that's life.

I like the quasi rng system in place in that it creates a sense of thrill when you open the bag and it has that shiny piece of gear you wanted, but I do believe that the static rewards designed to balance out the gearing for those whom the rng god does not shine light upon should be bumped up a bit.

I've had tremendous luck with the champion bag system, I'm only valor rank 36 and have opened ~25-30 bags and I have the entire champion set except the chest piece, but some of my friends have not had good luck. It's incredibly frustrating for them who have opened more bags than I and have higher valor ranks to be sporting 1 piece of champion gear. I believe the centurion bags should pay out perhaps 4-5 commendations when containing no gear, or slightly lower the cost of centurion gear in order to more evenly reward people for their pvp efforts.

Either that or give champion bags the same changes battlemaster bags are receiving in the upcoming patch so people don't end up with 5 sets of bracers

Regards,

Kalantris

Well I've opened 5 in a row last night and 0 gear :)

Its random, get over it. I got 2 pieces from my first 3 bags..then nothing in my next 10 bags. It sucks, but moaning doesn't help. Imagine us, people who have 2 hours per day to just finish the 3 win daily and get 800 medals, for 2 bags per day.

This issue gonna be fixed with 1.1, next tuesday.

" Battlemaster Gear Tokens have been converted into Battlemaster Commendations, which can be used to purchase any Battlemaster gear. This allows players to purchase any piece of gear instead of requiring them to purchase the piece indicated by the token.

Battlemaster Bags now contain Battlemaster Commendations instead of Battlemaster Gear Tokens. They still also contain Champion Commendations."

You're lying about being rank 57 if you ONLY have 126 Tokens. I'm, rank 57 and have bought 2 weapons = 146 tokens, Head slot = 35?, Bracers = 25?, 2x Implants, 50? and have 50-60 tokens on my character. So I've earned around 260-300+ tokens at same Valor rank. Unless you did EXCEPTIONALLY more PvP than I sub 50, you are lying.

Not to mention he says he's had 42 bags and has 126 tokens which is 3 per bag.

Yet he's also got champ pieces from them including 5 sets of bracers which would only have 1 token in.

Just Doesn't add up.

IDC about the RNG system, it's in most games although I agree it sucks if your on the wrong end of it.

Its no worse than what the PVE players put up with grinding hardmodes to get their gear waiting on the day RNG gives them the bits they need.

It would be nice to have some sort of exchange rate for centurion coins - champ coins.

I'm only valour 46 and I've got 60 tokens on my char and spent another 60 odd on implants and stuff. I haven't had a champ implant or module and tbh im past caring. Im just gonna buy the battlemaster ones since any champ gear will be getting replaced at rank 60 for me anyway.

I think people are concentrating too much on this tier 2 stuff.

Edited by JohraTon

Regards,

Kalantris

Your logic is atrocious.

That's just silly. RNG is an RNG. It's random. I've opened my bags whenever I've gotten one (all 3 at once in case of getting the weekly) and got 7 pieces of Champ so far, out of ~16 bags. (which makes me pretty lucky I guess, and completely opposite to your experience).

I know pretty much a crapload about how random number generators work in C++, C# and Java. They are very similar and are focused on generating different numbers in short term. So the chance of rolling "1" 15 times in a row while rolling once every second is extremely low, while rolling "1" 15 times in a row once a day is significantly higher. We checked it on tests including billions of checks. It's true for all three of the languages I mentioned.

Regards,

Kalantris

I know pretty much a crapload about how random number generators work in C++, C# and Java. They are very similar and are focused on generating different numbers in short term. So the chance of rolling "1" 15 times in a row while rolling once every second is extremely low, while rolling "1" 15 times in a row once a day is significantly higher. We checked it on tests including billions of checks. It's true for all three of the languages I mentioned.

Regards,

Kalantris

That's very interesting. Hey OP, how often would you estimate you open new bags? Also, did you open 6 right away when you first hit 50? (like 1 bag saved, 1000/1000 tokens saved). Just curious.

Regards,

Kalantris

This is pretty much just a blatant lie. The languages you mentioned use Linear Congruential Generators, which aren't in fact true RNG's, but generate pseudo-random strings of numbers that will eventually (and you can interpret this eventually as "completely not important for 99% of all use cases") repeat. These LCG's use a modulus, a multiplier and an increment (used for the finetuning of the actual algorithm) and most importantly a seed. The seed is what determines the starting point of the pseudorandom string and is usually a time based seed (in ms or ns). While there are some drawbacks to LCG's, like serial correlation visible over large datasets, in a specific case like this, there simply is no way of "gaming the system". Sorry.

EDIT: Also, I hate the champion bag system. Fairly disheartening to PvP for three weeks, get three pieces and then take someone on a wintrade Ilum daily/weekly, just to see him crit on all of his bags and get more pieces in one minute than you have total.

Edited by fhomux

This is pretty much just a blatant lie. The languages you mentioned use Linear Congruential Generators, which aren't in fact true RNG's, but generate pseudo-random strings of numbers that will eventually (and you can interpret this eventually as "completely not important for 99% of all use cases) repeat. These LCG's use a modulus, a multiplier and an increment (used for the finetuning of the actual algorithm) and most importantly a seed. The seed is what determines the starting point of the pseudorandom string and is usually a time based seed (in ms or ns). While there are some drawbacks to LCG's, like serial correlation visible over large datasets, in a specific case like this, there simply is no way of "gaming the system". Sorry.

First of all, english is not my mother's tongue, I might get some words twisted. Now do the following: Generate o million random integer numbers with 1ms delays and generate a graph. Then do the same generating a million random numbers with long, random delays. We've found, that in most (don't recall the exact percentage) graphs generated through tests with big delays the total difference between the numbers generated is way smaller than in quick tests. We had a project about RNG in highschool. That was a couple (damn, more than a couple) years back, so I might be wrong, but that's how it looked back then.

Regards,

Kalantris

Edited by Kalantris

Holy crap some of you guys are having bad luck. I am only at valor 53 and I am starting to get repeat champion items already. If I had to wager a guess I would say my bag to item ratio is in the 35 - 40% range.

I don't think I have ever opened at least 5 bags in a row and not gotten at least one item out of it. If I pop 5 bags at the same time I generally see at least 2 items.

In my case, the trick is not getting items, it is getting the items I need. I am still waiting on a champion chest piece to drop and an off hand. Once I get those items, I will be decking out my companions who use the same gear as me. After that, I maybe done until I hit valor 60 and can get the battlemaster bags.

Random sort of works for PvE, but you will completely destroy a player's incentive to PvP when random is in the mix for rewards. Especially how the system is organized currently, because it is not truely random. A truely random system would be fairly even over the long run. I know so many guild members who have their companions in almost full pvp gear because they are getting so many duplicates and 3-4 times as many gear drop from bags than others. Yet others who play just as much have almost no gear. The only way I see this system working is if:

1) Random items are on a completely lower tier than those you buy with commendations. That way you have a slight random reward, but someone who has recieved the same amount of commendations will have very similar good gear.

OR

2) Remove the random from the mix altogether. Remove the horrible bag system completely, and just give commendations for quests and allow players to upgrade the piece they want.

Regards,

Kalantris

He is right you know, Random Number Generators are not really random at all, they have significant inputs to deter the repetition of the same number.

Which doesn't exist in truly random systems.

The problem with a truly random system in an MMORPG (apart from the difficulty of creating it) is that with billions of calculations every single day, you will eventually get some truly funky random numbers coming up.

Whether that is 30 maximum numbers on the trot, or 30 minimum numbers on the trot, it would be very surprising to players and could create some issues for game designed.

The system is so bad. When I first hit 50, and for the first 2 weeks or so, every new 50 that was opening their first 6 bags, was already more geared than I was. Then one day, I opened 4 bags and got 4 straight unique set pieces, and all was good. Bad system is bad.

I know people that have double digits of duplicate item tokens in their bank, but still haven't gotten a few pieces of Champion gear. That's horrible. I know people that have been opening bags for a week or 2 weeks and still have nothing. And I know people that are under valor 30, have been 50 for 4 days, and just need 1 or 2 more pieces. Rofl.