Morality system not all that moral.

Game_Hermit

Some of the morality choices are really screwed up. Today I had a gun to the head of an imperial mass murderer who killed hundreds of innocent civilians. I have the choice to kill him or let him go. If I let him go he's just going to kill hundreds more people. I decide to do the right thing and save hundreds of innocent lives....and I get dark side points. Wait, WHAT?! On Korriban my sith got light side points for betraying the guy he was questing for and helping his apprentice frame him for money. Who decides this stuff? They clearly don't understand the difference between good and evil.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately, Light does not necessarily mean good. And Dark does not necessarily mean evil.

Light goes from compassion to honour to naivety and more.

Dark goes from greed to cruelty to pragmatism and more.

Killing a murderer falls under pragmatism.

Well it is evil. You have taken someone elses life.

That's the problem. There are situations where you can argue that killing someone is the morally good thing to do...

You're trapped in a cave at the beach because your chubby friend got stuck in the entrance/exit. The tide is still coming in through small holes and you know you'll drown eventually unless you use a stick of dynamite conveniently left behind by a previous explorer. You can blow up your friend, saving you and your other friends, or you can all die and not actively kill anyone.

While it's a long stretch, the point is that there are places where morality becomes gray and it's difficult to define something as overtly good or bad--as objective as those qualifiers are.

This isn't the case in TOR, which presents just about every moral decision as "Death is bad."

Does it work? Definitely. Does it make sense for the IP? Sure. Is it shallow? Kinda...

Edited by Dezzi

You're saying the government is evil for executing serial killers? I'm the government (trooper) and I just executed a serial killer who will certainly keep doing it. It's the same thing. Letting him go when I had the chance to stop him would mean I indirectly murdered hundreds.

Edited by Game_Hermit

Actually, there was a choice in there to capture him.

It never gave me that choice. I'm not saying it wasn't there, but if it was it either wasn't clear about what that choice did or I didn't make the right choices to unlock it. I could only kill him or let him go.

Edited by Game_Hermit

This isn't the case in TOR, which presents just about every moral decision as "Death is bad."

Does it work? Definitely. Does it make sense for the IP? Sure. Is it shallow? Kinda...

It didnt say "death is bad", it said "death is dark side".

If you are actually acting out a 'role' (even as a jedi or sith) you'll find yourself taking both light side and dark side points because sometimes the right (or wrong) thing to do is dark side and some times it is light side.

I've received light side points for killing someone.

You're saying the government is evil for executing serial killers? I'm the government (trooper) and I just executed a serial killer who will certainly keep doing it. It's the same thing. Letting him go when I had the chance to stop him would mean I indirectly murdered hundreds.

Actually, many people argue it is wrong to take another life. Very few 1st world countries actually use the death penalty.

So Palpatine and Vader are the good guys then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman

Edited by Bdatik

It never gave me that choice. I'm not saying it wasn't there, but if it was it either wasn't clear about what that choice did or I didn't make the right choices to unlock it. I could only kill him or let him go.

I think it was that you didn't make the right secondary choices to unlock it.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Trooper storyline?

Ultimately, Light does not necessarily mean good. And Dark does not necessarily mean evil.

Light goes from compassion to honour to naivety and more.

Dark goes from greed to cruelty to pragmatism and more.

Killing a murderer falls under pragmatism.

^This.

its kinda the same to say that, the empire is all evil and the republic is all good.

thats not always the case, just take a look at the trooper story.

things are not always as simple as black and white.

Edited by Ookami_Nikurasu

It didnt say "death is bad", it said "death is dark side".

If you are actually acting out a 'role' (even as a jedi or sith) you'll find yourself taking both light side and dark side points because sometimes the right (or wrong) thing to do is dark side and some times it is light side.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here...

Palpatine isn't the Dark Side. He uses the Dark Side to do evil things. It doesn't make the Dark Side inherently evil.

Then how come every single dark side character is evil?

I think it was that you didn't make the right secondary choices to unlock it.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Trooper storyline?

Yes.

Edited by Game_Hermit

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here...

I'm not trying to argue anything. I'm saying that killing someone (who is helpless) regardless of anything else is a 'dark side' act.

Sometimes you kill people for good reasons, but that doesn't mean it's not 'dark'.

Edited by Heliotic

Palpatine isn't the Dark Side. He uses the Dark Side to do evil things. It doesn't make the Dark Side inherently evil.

Actually, by definition of Lucas and Lucasfilm, it is.

Dark side = hatred, suffering, death.

However, I will admit that if you only view the Force as a tool, it cannot be inherently evil. But it's been stated many times in SW lore that the Force has a will, which means it's not just a tool like a gun.

Edited by Kashaan

Did you allow him a trial in front of 12 of his peers, and give him the right to multiple appeals? Your not a judge jury and executioner, you are an employee of the republic so you have to abide by the rules and morals of the republic :)

Actually, by definition of Lucas and Lucasfilm, it is.

Dark side = hatred, suffering, death.

However, I will admit that if you only view the Force as a tool, it cannot be inherently evil. But it's been stated many times in SW lore that the Force has a will, which means it's not just a tool like a gun.

I'll give you that, sure. I'd rather argue that the Force is neither good or evil, but necessary. It is--it exists.

Force philosophy is always a fun nerd topic. :D