Whats the difference between RP-PVP and PVP?

ISDcaptain

okay so let me get this straight, on a PVP server your always on PVP status

but in a RP-PVP server, you can activate your PVP status and fight anywhere on the map, while in a PVE server you just fight in designated areas of the world?

PvP and RP-PvP servers have the same PvP ruleset. You are automatically flagged for open world PvP in the non-starter maps.

Guess you cant name your toons Obipwnsyou or something like that on PVP-RP.

This. Traditionally though they share the same PVP Rule Sets, RP-PVP servers have more strict naming conventions. If the GM's actually care enough to enforce it that is.

I don't personally RP, but I usually roll on RP-PVP servers because I like a little more immersion in terms of names, and the community is generally more stable and mature.

It's really just a gameplay preference. It is more likely that someone on an RP server will kill you for a "lore reason" with some sort of story that they generated about their characters habits and mannerisms. On just a plain PvP server well...you know how people are....

Naming policies and anti-RP griefing policies, that's about it.

My experience has been that the world pvp is better on RP-PVP servers, the factions are usually much closer to balanced and there are a few more people who don't grief or camp but red = dead either way. I think they are great.

RP servers are for those interested in role play. While some games have more rigid name restrictions, the Devs have indicated they will not be enforcing any specialized naming rules on RP servers. Basically, you roll on a RP server because you anticipate other like minded persons will do the same.