What's my bottleneck?

Chevex

Well, the ones you have are DDR2 800, so if you run the $20 ones it might downclock the others.

Probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but I'm not sure.

Oh ***, I thought I filtered by DDR 2 800 so I assumed they both were. I didn't look at the description.

Edited by Chevex

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't upgrade anything for SWTOR unless you are having problems in another game. This game is terribly optimized for a number of computer configurations.

I have:

i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz

16GB Ram

2 GTX 580's in SLI

I'd have to run it again cause I haven't in a couple months but my computer averages over 70fps on the Unigine DX11 benchmark with 4x AA and tesselation on extreme... Yet I get bogus fps in SWTOR... Sounds like some terrible optimization to me.

And I get worse performance than people with half of the hardware that I'm running. Bioware will eventually fix their game like Trion World did with Rift, Funcom did with Age of Conan and Mythic did with Warhammer Online's performance.

The funny part of that statement is all those games failed because of their terribly optimized launch... Maybe Bioware should have taken note.

You're really telling a guy with 3 GB of RAM not to upgrade? Seriously?

You know, bash the engine all you want. But at least think for a few seconds before you chime in on a thread like this please.

Don't upgrade anything for SWTOR unless you are having problems in another game. This game is terribly optimized for a number of computer configurations.

I have:

i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz

16GB Ram

2 GTX 580's in SLI

I'd have to run it again cause I haven't in a couple months but my computer averages over 70fps on the Unigine DX11 benchmark with 4x AA and tesselation on extreme... Yet I get bogus fps in SWTOR... Sounds like some terrible optimization to me.

And I get worse performance than people with half of the hardware that I'm running. Bioware will eventually fix their game like Trion World did with Rift, Funcom did with Age of Conan and Mythic did with Warhammer Online's performance.

The funny part of that statement is all those games failed because of their terribly optimized launch... Maybe Bioware should have taken note.

The Game doesn't like hyperthreading/hypertransport, like 80% of games on the market today. HT is for multitasking, not running a game. A I5 beats a I7 @ same clockspeed at 75-80% of games. In serious multitasking the I7 outperforme the I5.

The $25 ones look reasonable to me. They've gotten pretty good reviews on Newegg as well, for what that's worth.

Cool. One last question. Is it okay if I bought 3 of those for $75 and kept one of my 1gb sticks I have now? Giving me a total of 7gb.

Both the new and the old sticks are by Crucial and they are all DDR 2 800. The only difference is that one of them is 1gb instead of 2gb. Is that bad?

Edited by Chevex

Cool. One last question. Is it okay if I bought 3 of those for $75 and kept one of my 1gb sticks I have now? Giving me a total of 7gb.

Both the new and the old sticks are by Crucial and they are all DDR 2 800. The only difference is that one of them is 1gb instead of 2gb. Is that bad?

Yeah, with dual channel RAM, you want matched pairs. You'd end up with a slower system if you do it that way.

Buy 2 2GB sticks and use those and 2 of your 1 GB sticks.

Yeah, with dual channel RAM, you want matched pairs. You'd end up with a slower system if you do it that way.

Buy 2 2GB sticks and use those and 2 of your 1 GB sticks.

There may be a more technical term. but your Mobo should have color coded slots.

Put the 2 2gb sticks in the "red" slots and the 2 1gb sticks in the " black ones". or whatever colors.

I think that is how dual channel mobo slots are.

Rather get 2x4GB, older MB like urs, didn't like 4 DIMMS too much. many boards had trouble getting 4 DIMMS stable. I had a AMD 939 board too, It couldn't hadle 4 DIMMS. 3 was max.

Memory is so cheap now that 2x4GB shouldn't set you back much and on bords with a Front side bus like urs. always buy overrated ram. Get the 1066, not the 800. You can still run them at 800 if you fr some reason can't do 1066 on them (like not having a FSB to mem ratio, so you have to overclock the CPU to get the mem up at its 1066 default speed)

But your CPU might even take the OC just fine. and the price difference between 1066 and 800 ram can't be much.

Rather get 2x4GB, older MB like urs, didn't like 4 DIMMS too much. many boards had trouble getting 4 DIMMS stable. I had a AMD 939 board too, It couldn't hadle 4 DIMMS. 3 was max.

Memory is so cheap now that 2x4GB shouldn't set you back much and on bords with a Front side bus like urs. always buy overrated ram. Get the 1066, not the 800. You can still run them at 800 if you fr some reason can't do 1066 on them (like not having a FSB to mem ratio, so you have to overclock the CPU to get the mem up at its 1066 default speed)

But your CPU might even take the OC just fine. and the price difference between 1066 and 800 ram can't be much.

According to his board's manual, it can't handle 4 GB DIMMs. 2 GB max per DIMM, 8 GB max total.

According to his board's manual, it can't handle 4 GB DIMMs. 2 GB max per DIMM, 8 GB max total.

Bet a bios update should fix that, what MB does he have? I missed it, just ssw he had a dual channel AMD board and that must mean a socket 939. If it has the Nvidia 680 chipset he really should stay clear of 4 DIMMS

When I'm running TOR on Win 7 Enterprise, with very little else running, I'm usually over 4 GB used.

Then you have spyware running riot on your PC.

My PC with 4GB RAM -

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/4gbk.jpg/

My PC with 6GB RAM (yes thats how little I value the extra RAM over 4 GB - I normally run with 4 GB) -

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/6gbp.jpg/

Running SWTOR. Notice how much I'm using? So I put in the extra 2 GB and I am still using around the same amount - 2.5 to 2.6 GB.

3 GB is enough to run SWTOR, that's an absolute fact. 4 GB helps run it and allows for smoother alt-tabbing etc that is why I'd recommend 4 GB - it makes zero difference to the game however.

Some of you are just gonna make the OP spend money on buying something he simply does not need and will not make the blindest difference to the game.

That's a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, latest drivers, 4+6 GB RAM tested and the game still runs like utter CRAP in a few zones.

If the OP still decides to buy more RAM after this then I'm glad because he obviously needs to learn. I do this for a living - I have my own business doing this in fact but if he wants to listen to forum heroes with zero clue then on his wallet be it.

Edited by LionRampant

My PC with 4GB RAM -

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/4gbk.jpg/

My PC with 6GB RAM (yes thats how little I value the extra RAM over 4 GB - I normally run with 4 GB) -

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/6gbp.jpg/

Running SWTOR. Notice how much I'm using? So I put in the extra 2 GB and I am still using around the same amount - 2.5 to 2.6 GB.

3 GB is enough to run SWTOR, that's an absolute fact. 4 GB helps run it and allows for smoother alt-tabbing etc that is why I'd recommend 4 GB - it makes zero difference to the game however.

Some of you are just gonna make the OP spend money on buying something he simply does not need and will not make the blindest difference to the game.

That's a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, latest drivers, 4+6 GB RAM tested and the game still runs like utter CRAP in a few zones.

If the OP still decides to buy more RAM after this then I'm glad because he obviously needs to learn. I do this for a living - I have my own business doing this in fact but if he wants to listen to forum heroes with zero clue then on his wallet be it.

Nope, no spyware. It's a fairly old OS install, but I'm extremely careful about what I install.

LionRampant omh, please leave my thread. Nobody cares.

You'll care when you get no performance gain with new memory lol. :rolleyes:

Even if you can't figure out who's right and who's wrong, maybe some other poor sods who are looking for real info will see this and save their money instead of buying RAM they don't need - so thanks but I'll be staying in "your" thread.

Well he may want to use his computer for something that does require 4g+ of RAM :eek:

Crazy I know.

Unless it is a dedicated SWTOR box and is never used for anything but that. Whats the harm in upgrading from 3gb to 4 or 6?

It may or may not help with TOR, I have said that as well. But overall I would do it just because its a cheap and easy upgrade.:p

Enough can mean lots of things. Launch Tor, open resource monitor and check how many hard faults you get on memory per sec. Thats when the mem doesn't have the data needed and needs it fed from HDD. Then put in 6 again and compare hard faults.

Remember Win 7 preloads.

When you check mem with 4GB it says something like : Used 2.2, standby 1, free 0.8

When you get 6 you will se used 2.2, standby: 3, free: 0.9

Standby is preloaded data expected to be needed soon.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5010/hardfaults.jpg

Edited by DeeckTator

I think the OP's bottle neck at his home computer is his CPU and Low ram...esp if he running something else in the background as he is playing TOR.

His RAM is probably an issue, but if you think his 960 phenom 2 is a bottleneck, you shouldn't be giving anyone hardware advice. Sure SB systems are better but his 960 shouldn't be having problems with this game. The first culprit is low system RAM, with his specs if the problem isn't fixed, it's a software problem of some sort.

TL;DR Stop telling a person on a budget that he needs an I5 or I7 when you don't know what you're talking about please.