What's my bottleneck?

Chevex

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do i5 supported mobos support i7 CPUs? I ask because if I could always upgrade my processor in the future then maybe I just want an i5 for now.

They do. But SandyBridge and i5s are not top of the line as someone else mentioned. They're part of an "In between" marketing scam to milk that silicon for everything it's worth.

The Core i7s and the x58 chipset are still the top of the line in my opinion and I wouldn't waste any money on that garbage until the next real chipset and socket come out in 2013 sometime.

That's when it will really change and you'll get your money's worth.

I'm sure a couple will disagree with me, but come on over to my house and I'll show you. I have the money and the resources, I've done it, seen it, overclocked etc..

Yes sandbridge hits 5Ghz, it's not practical. A good batch of silicon in the i7 990x and the x58 boards will hit 5Ghz as well if you know what you're doing. I burned through 6 i7 980x CPU's to get one that would do 5Ghz, the Asus Rampage III Extreme and Black Editions are the best boards on the market..

Edited by VoXPCS

That is silly. I know there are areas where the game needs optimized and no matter your hardware configuration but if I can get an area to run great on one PC consistently but not on the other PC then there is a bottleneck. I'm not saying the game is perfect and runs great everywhere. If I played more at work I'm sure I'd find bad areas even though my work machine is pretty beast. But in the meantime I can try to get my home PC to run at least as well as my work PC. It's only logical.

that's fine. just trying to be helpful and save you some money. have fun.

I would start with RAM and see where that gets you. The game uses about 1.5 gig of memory itself. If you have any other processes running, you're going to struggling to keep up.

You should try for at least 6 gig and see how that works for you. If that doesn't help, you might want to try upgrading your cpu. I'm not sure the exact cpu you're running with or what you're motherboard will support, but you may be able to upgrade your cpu to an AM3.

This is my mobo. Think I should leave it alone and upgrade the CPU?

They do. But SandyBridge and i5s are not top of the line as someone else mentioned. They're part of an "In between" marketing scam to milk that silicon for everything it's worth.

The Core i7s and the x58 chipset are still the top of the line in my opinion and I wouldn't waste any money on that garbage until the next real chipset and socket come out in 2013 sometime.

That's when it will really change and you'll get your money's worth.

I'm sure a couple will disagree with me, but come on over to my house and I'll show you. I have the money and the resources, I've done it, seen it, overclocked etc..

Yes sandbridge hits 5Ghz, it's not practical. A good batch of silicon in the i7 990x and the x58 boards will hit 5Ghz as well if you know what you're doing. I burned through 6 i7 980x CPU's to get one that would do 5Ghz, the Asus Rampage III Extreme and Black Editions are the best boards on the market..

I'm kind of dumb with this stuff. Are you saying to get an i5 and not waste my time with the more expensive i7?

Quick Q.

I just bought a new gpu and psu. Sitting on my door step when I get home. Should I install the psu first to make sure that's ok, then install the gpu. Or just do both at the same time? What do you think?

Sorry for the hijack.

This is my mobo. Think I should leave it alone and upgrade the CPU?

If you can afford to get as far away from AMD as possible you'll see the different is night and day between quality chip.

I could get real technical as to why, but let's just say when you're the underdog, you copy and steal from those that are doing it right in an attempt to get ahead.

AMD is for grandma to check her email with.

Quick Q.

I just bought a new gpu and psu. Sitting on my door step when I get home. Should I install the psu first to make sure that's ok, then install the gpu. Or just do both at the same time? What do you think?

Sorry for the hijack.

I don't think it really matters. But then I may not be the best person to ask.

If you can afford to get as far away from AMD as possible you'll see the different is night and day between quality chip.

I could get real technical as to why, but let's just say when you're the underdog, you copy and steal from those that are doing it right in an attempt to get ahead.

AMD is for grandma to check her email with.

Okay, but to squeeze out good performance for the least money what should I do? Is there a better AMD CPU that I should grab for this mobo and just call it a day. Or is REALLY a big enough difference that I should switch on over to intel?

I'm kind of dumb with this stuff. Are you saying to get an i5 and not waste my time with the more expensive i7?

No he's suggesting a different version of the i7. Since you're not super tech savvy then the easiest upgrade for you would be the new SandyBridge processors from Intel. Just stick with an i5 SandyBridge since the i7 has no real advantages when it comes to gaming.

I was able to get a Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge, 8 GB of DDR3 1600, and a new Asus motherboard for about $460 on Newegg. Worth every stinkin' penny. The game now runs like a dream.

Public wish lists don't seem to be working on Newegg right now, so I'll give you the item links:

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Nice. Added all that to my wishlist :)

Back to close to $500 but for now I'll drop the dough on my RAM to fix that issue and then I'll start saving for the rest :)

No he's suggesting a different version of the i7. Since you're not super tech savvy then the easiest upgrade for you would be the new SandyBridge processors from Intel. Just stick with an i5 SandyBridge since the i7 has no real advantages when it comes to gaming.

This is mostly true, for simplicity's sake. If you have the right graphics card, it'll be doing all the work.

If you don't then the CPU will be rendering certain aspects of the game, in which case you'll have a terrible dip in performance if your CPU isn't up to par.

I'm an enthusiast, I blow money on high end gear just because. Keep it simple and go with the SandyBridge.

This is mostly true, for simplicity's sake. If you have the right graphics card, it'll be doing all the work.

If you don't then the CPU will be rendering certain aspects of the game, in which case you'll have a terrible dip in performance if your CPU isn't up to par.

I'm an enthusiast, I blow money on high end gear just because. Keep it simple and go with the SandyBridge.

I'm sorry for being the question king, but you guys are so helpful. What is sandybridge? lol. Is that the line of iX processors by intel? Meaning, are both i5 and i7 "sandybridge"?

I just barely bought my GTX 560 Ti GPU and a 650 Watt PSU so I'm all good there I think.

Edited by Chevex

Okay, but to squeeze out good performance for the least money what should I do? Is there a better AMD CPU that I should grab for this mobo and just call it a day. Or is REALLY a big enough difference that I should switch on over to intel?

If you have the money, sure, switch to Intel. But the difference between them and AMD really isn't as great as some people would have you believe. Plus, I find AMD to be a much better value for the money, as with Intel you're paying an extra $75-$150 for what only amounts to a slight performance gain in the long run.

First things first, I'd say upgrade to 8GB of the fastest RAM your mobo can handle. After that, see how things run and plan your upgrades accordingly.

Oh, and if your computer was a premade system that came with its own copy of Windows, you may have to buy a new copy of that as well if you switch out mobos, depending on if it's an OEM copy or not. That's something else to consider.

If you have the money, sure, switch to Intel. But the difference between them and AMD really isn't as great as some people would have you believe. Plus, I find AMD to be a much better value for the money, as with Intel you're paying an extra $75-$150 for what only amounts to a slight performance gain in the long run.

First things first, I'd say upgrade to 8GB of the fastest RAM your mobo can handle. After that, see how things run and plan your upgrades accordingly.

Oh, and if your computer was a premade system that came with its own copy of Windows, you may have to buy a new copy of that as well if you switch out mobos, depending on if it's an OEM copy or not. That's something else to consider.

Thanks for the advice. I may not be the most technically informed with all this stuff but I do still build my computers. I built this myself a couple years ago so shouldn't be any issues with Windows.

Thanks for the advice. I may not be the most technically informed with all this stuff but I do still build my computers. I built this myself a couple years ago so shouldn't be any issues with Windows.

If you do upgrade your MoBo, you might want to use sysprep on your system before you shut it down to do the upgrade. This generalizes the system so it's not tied to your hardware ID.

I ended up not having to do it, but I'm using Win 7 Enterprise that I get from my university, so if you have one of the consumer versions you might have problems if you don't use sysprep.

If you do upgrade your MoBo, you might want to use sysprep on your system before you shut it down to do the upgrade. This generalizes the system so it's not tied to your hardware ID.

I ended up not having to do it, but I'm using Win 7 Enterprise that I get from my university, so if you have one of the consumer versions you might have problems if you don't use sysprep.

Interesting. I'll be sure to look into it.

That is silly. I know there are areas where the game needs optimized and no matter your hardware configuration but if I can get an area to run great on one PC consistently but not on the other PC then there is a bottleneck. I'm not saying the game is perfect and runs great everywhere. If I played more at work I'm sure I'd find bad areas even though my work machine is pretty beast. But in the meantime I can try to get my home PC to run at least as well as my work PC. It's only logical.

You clearly lack a fundamental and logical understanding of computers and how they work. For instance I have an i7 oc'ed to 4ghz, 8 gb ram, two intel SSDs in a raid, and two nvidia 470s OC edition. When I am near the pvp vendors I drop to 20fps but my cards remain at 35% usage. That is an optimization problem and don't hold your breath for a fix. They will just take more out of the game like they did with hi res textures.

Hey guys, I just had a quick question about my computer setup at home. I have had the opportunity to play SWTOR on my home and work computer. For some reason the game runs a lot faster on my work computer even though my home computer has a better graphics card. However, everything else is slightly worse than my work computer. I'm just curious what you guys think my bottleneck would be.

Here are my specs for both computers:

Work computer

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

8gb RAM

Home computer

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti

AMD® AM2+ Quad-Core

3gb RAM

My home computer really struggles when there are a lot of NPCs in the area. Particularly in the black sun taxi area on Coruscant. I chug so hard there when I'm at home because of all the NPCs fighting below the taxi platform, but that area runs fine at work.

Would my processor be the culprit or would it be my RAM? Or is there something else you think is holding me up?

Thanks for the help!

Your bottleneck is SWTOR.

I'm glad somebody else is seeing the Black Sun problem - my Pc is pretty much the same as yours (I have a 6850 graphics card though) and I struggle to get more than 15fps in the Black Sun area.

I just fresh installed Windows 7 Pro to see if that helps but I'm not holding my breath. This lag happens to people with intel cpu's as well btw so don't assume that will fix anything.

Edited by LionRampant