[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Oh you meant the textures that are BETTER than WoW?

What does that tell you that people buy? I'm not paying for textures, I'm paying to play a game and pretty good looking one IMHO on the whole.

If you're going to say that TOR's textures are better than WoW, you should probably have proof.

For example, I have proof that you are wrong.

Anyone can hate on WoW's art style, I'm not a huge fan of it myself. Technically, visually, and mechanically, it is superior to TOR. Go ahead and kid yourself that it's not, though.

TOR has story and RP. That part is good. The rest of the game is an inferior WoW.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found some stuff online and would like to share with you guys:

While we wait for the graphical enhancements coming in patch 1.2, here are some great tricks you can use to make your game look better! Of course, you will have to tweak these settings yourself, based on your hardware. Some of these can be tweaked to make your performance better on a lower spec system. You would just tweak the numbers the other direction.

First, let's talk negative LOD bias. If you don't know what it is, basically it governs the general sharpness of the textures. If you use an LOD bias of -3.0, the picture will be sharp, whereas 3.0 would be more blurry.

So we want to try and add -3.0 LOD bias. How do you go about doing this? If you have an ATI card, get a tweak program like RivaTuner or ATI Tray Tools. Nvidia, you'll want something similar (usually a tweak program used to overclock and unlock your card's potential). In this program, you'll want to look in your 3D or Direct 3D settings for the LOD bias slider. Set it to -3.0. Save and exit. Try it out in the game! You can adjust it up or down to your liking! Here are some comparison shots:

NORMAL

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_No_LOD.jpg

FORCED LOD

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_Forced_LOD.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's talk .ini file tweaks!

For this to work, you have to unhide your C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SWTOR folder! Then you'll be able to access the client_settings.ini file. Double click to open in notepad.

When finished, save the file, then right click it, and set to read-only, as the game will overwrite it when you restart!

If a line is not added to your .ini, you can add it yourself!

Also, texture quality set at 0 is the setting you want! Trust me!

PLEASE BUMP AND STICKY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Renderer]

Height = 1080

Width = 1920

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

DynamicLightsLimit = 8

MeshLODQuality = 1

TextureAnisotropy = 16

FarClipScale = 3.9371195

PlantDensity = 150

D3DFullScreen = true

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

doShadows = true

doBlobShadows = true

UseMinSpecShaders = false

EnableBloom = true

VerticalSyncState = true

FullScreen = true

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

GammaRamp = 1.037854

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25

enableadvenvirolighting = true

DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

[Game]

MoviesFolder = ....\Movies

SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS:

Cutscene:

http://i.imgur.com/oQtAN.jpg

World (with plan density 100 instead of 150):

http://i.imgur.com/bpmSJ.jpg

original post:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951199-star-wars-the-old-republic/61628417

If your comp does not meet the score set by the remote rendor dill... it does exactly what the dill says... The word used is forced... as in ignore the ini and force the min quality

Forced Min Spec because of low video card memory restriction.

Forced Min Spec because of texture dimension power of two restriction.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseoflessthen16maxanisotropy.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseoflessthen2GigaBytesofsystemmemory.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseoflessthen1024vertexshaderinstructionssupport.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseoflessthen1024pixelshaderinstructionssupport.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseoflessthen4simultaneousrendertargetsupport.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseofnocopysystemmemtovidsupport.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseofnocopyvidmemtosystemcopysupport.

ForcedMinSpecbecauseofnodynamictexturesupport.

I just have to say, it's INTERESTING, but it's nothing concrete. Notice how his first paragraph hints at what he is saying is the TRUTH and is a FACT, but notice how he carefully words the rest of his post?

His statement would be summarized like this then:

If what I'm saying is correct, then this could be what's going on.

So basically, we're left with something interesting, stated by a clearly intelligent person, but it's nothing more than that. It's purely speculation, and I wouldn't take it as anything more.

Open the DLL and read... It forces Min quality if you score poorly.

I wonder if the forum mods will include these links in the press stickies at the top of the boards.

I found some stuff online and would like to share with you guys:

While we wait for the graphical enhancements coming in patch 1.2, here are some great tricks you can use to make your game look better! Of course, you will have to tweak these settings yourself, based on your hardware. Some of these can be tweaked to make your performance better on a lower spec system. You would just tweak the numbers the other direction.

First, let's talk negative LOD bias. If you don't know what it is, basically it governs the general sharpness of the textures. If you use an LOD bias of -3.0, the picture will be sharp, whereas 3.0 would be more blurry.

So we want to try and add -3.0 LOD bias. How do you go about doing this? If you have an ATI card, get a tweak program like RivaTuner or ATI Tray Tools. Nvidia, you'll want something similar (usually a tweak program used to overclock and unlock your card's potential). In this program, you'll want to look in your 3D or Direct 3D settings for the LOD bias slider. Set it to -3.0. Save and exit. Try it out in the game! You can adjust it up or down to your liking! Here are some comparison shots:

NORMAL

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_No_LOD.jpg

FORCED LOD

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_Forced_LOD.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's talk .ini file tweaks!

For this to work, you have to unhide your C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SWTOR folder! Then you'll be able to access the client_settings.ini file. Double click to open in notepad.

When finished, save the file, then right click it, and set to read-only, as the game will overwrite it when you restart!

If a line is not added to your .ini, you can add it yourself!

Also, texture quality set at 0 is the setting you want! Trust me!

PLEASE BUMP AND STICKY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Renderer]

Height = 1080

Width = 1920

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

DynamicLightsLimit = 8

MeshLODQuality = 1

TextureAnisotropy = 16

FarClipScale = 3.9371195

PlantDensity = 150

D3DFullScreen = true

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

doShadows = true

doBlobShadows = true

UseMinSpecShaders = false

EnableBloom = true

VerticalSyncState = true

FullScreen = true

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

GammaRamp = 1.037854

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25

enableadvenvirolighting = true

DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

[Game]

MoviesFolder = ....\Movies

SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS:

Cutscene:

http://i.imgur.com/oQtAN.jpg

World (with plan density 100 instead of 150):

http://i.imgur.com/bpmSJ.jpg

original post:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951199-star-wars-the-old-republic/61628417

Good post, however after looking at the world image and seeing the lego like shadows off to the right, still reminds me of how sloppy the graphics still are in this game even with all these tweaks. They are so bad i keep them turned off just so i don't have to look at em.

Edited by MoonsLightV

Repeating the same thing does not make it any more effective. +1 for trolling. But you still have laughable 2D trees. Maybe next time you can Photoshop those

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r277/UnruheEndlos/TORWOWComparison.jpg.

I do not care about a tree, tree is not representing "me", I don`t control the tree, I do not grind branches and leafs, I grind uber armor to equip my mighty hero in that "2D surroundings", but armor look worse than that "2D tree, like I got it from charity, not from epic, amazing, encouters".

So since people have said stop comparing to WoW's graphics, I would like to make another comparison.

This game was in development by its current developer for 18 months after the former developer squandered all the money for another game. This Game will be F2P next week and although its kinda meh, it gives us a similar Stylized Art Style but looks much better because the textures are crisp and nice.

http://i.imgur.com/obKnD.jpg

Even with those settings the game quality ingame doesn't seem to change anymore... I don't get any ground reflection either...

Anyone has been able to "force" the high quality again? I don't believe the people that claim to do are actually doing it...

Did you just seriously say that with a straight face? Blizz gets reamed at every Blizzcon for not updating their character textures in 8 years! You know what their response was? Customer feedback said people didn't like how they looked. LOL!

You're mixing facts to support your own false claims.

People that are upset with WoW's graphics are primarily upset at the character models and facial textures. Because, yes, those are 8 years old, and they look like crap. The original 8 races all look pretty bad because they are low poly-count models with low-rez, painted on face textures. The newer races fare much better, and all of the armor that's come out in the last 2+ years has a texture resolution (what this thread is about -- armor texture resolution) that pisses all over what BioWare is giving us at retail.

Edit: Gah, misued "Your" in place of "You're" -- I hate myself a little now.

Edited by Unruhe

It's impossible without tearing engine and processes apart. Already got an itch to do this, since developers seems incapable of.

Yep, that's what I meant... So the INI changes actually do nothing, right? I really can't see any difference.

Can't say I purchased this game based on the screenshots/videos or the textures therein, nor did I care... There are so many games that look better in ads(or cutscenes) than they do in reality(Like say, Deus Ex)...

Is texture resolution really the "hill you want to die on"?

TOR looks half a dozen years old, and it just came out.

They said it would be fixed.

It wasn't fixed, and then they attempted to cover it up.

We called BS, they said "oh that's a bug and we intended it this way all along."

Characters in this game look like crap. Crap. Crappity crap crap crap. BioWare actually had the stones to say that my screenshot, that right there, was the game "working as intended" at maximum available graphics settings while they continue to market the game using fake screenshots and materials showcasing texturing, lighting, and shading that is not at all available in the retail product.

Then when we expose all this, they release new screenshots of the new content, all still fake, and say they'll "improve graphical fidelity" sometime within 3 months, maybe. They don't even say "we're going to fix high rez textures" -- they give us a bunch of weasel wording that really means nothing -- 49% texture compression is "improved fidelity" when we're playing at 50% compression.

I'd say that's a better hill than most choose to die on.

So what you are really saying. The facial features, the background graphics, the textures for the building and everything around it should just suck... but the textures just for the armor the character should be at the very best. And that is your definition of better graphics?

Yep, that's what I meant... So the INI changes actually do nothing, right? I really can't see any difference.

They don't do much at all really. It's one of the first things I did when I noticed how terrible the game looked.

I like many, though maybe it's my settings or PC not giving me the high textures shown in all the footage.

Sadly the features are there anymore, and the few that are don't do all that much.

They do, and got some settings that doesn't present in ingame options, but you can't force high res textures through .ini changes. Or there is a magic word line for .ini that we aren't aware of.

Dir Assets got packages, that should contain all res textures. Gotta be a way to crack em open.

They will enable AA up to x4 Tor i incapable of any AA past that. the problem is the hero engine the are using has not seen a Producers update since 2007. The rewrote hero and all the features that hero added from 2008 to 2011 are not present. hero in 2007 was not that great of a grpahics engine it was a easy engine to produce with though because it was very basic and its could update on the fly.