i want to give up.

thegooser

I just hit lvl 50 last night. And i am ready to give up on my jk. I wish i rolled guardian because i feel useless. I consider my self a skilled player. I had 2350 ratings in wow and raided and downed a lot of content. But i find my self swearing a lot at my computer every time i log on to my jk.

I take way too much damage then i can put out and its getting redicilous. It does not matter is i use doc, kira, or t7 it all end with me blowing all cooldowns and barley making it. Its frustrating that i have to work so hard to do even the simpelest tasks that i see other classes roll right through.

I dont care that i dont have stuns and all the crap the other classes do. I just want a pure dps class like my sent to shine at dps.

Same for me. I wish I chose Guardian. Sentinel doesn't seem to be good dps. I heard people talking about sentinel like Fury Warrior in WoW. I think that is not true. Sentinel is more like rogue with cloth armor. It just can't stand any dmg. It is pathetic... :jawa_wink: Edited by Rohlajz

Not true for me, I love my sentinel, he carves through enemies like a ninja in pvp. People die b4 I even finish my sequence and Zen'd.

There are some good tips in the sent forum, like how to optimise overlord sabre damage and opening fights with a leg slash snare.

And our escape options with guarded by the force followed by medpack and invincible invisibility is good.

We are good in hutt ball with our force leap and transcendence.

Edited by Outlawe

So... I've got a couple of issues with this thread.

First and foremost, the notion that end-game content has anything at all to do with solo and companions in this game. My companion comes out for, at most, daily quests on Illum/Belsavis and as eye candy on Fleet. They will never be used in PvP (especially after upcoming changed to Illum) nor in Flashpoints/Ops.

Second, you just hit 50. I can tell you, unequivocally, there is a huge difference in when you hit 50 and when you actually have some L50 gear on. Both for yourself and your companion (when/if it is actually used.) The DPS I do now, compared to that of a week ago (still 50) is quite noticeable. The difference between a week ago and when I hit 50 is (~week?) is even more noticable.

Finally, survivability. Did... we just get compared to... a clothie? Aww hell naw!

Now, I've yet to group up with a 50 DPS Shadow for PvE, so I don't know just how quickly a true clothie will drop, but just given the nature of our class, we are given more cooldowns than we even need to deal with incoming damage (on the PvE side of things. In PvP, I think you will find you are waiting on them often (not to suggest we need more.)) Honest to goodness, I cannot tell you the last time that, in a HM Flashpoint, I died... for having taken agro and being unable to deal with it. Wipes and boss mechanics are another issue entirely, of course.

Straight up, Sentinel is probably not a class for everyone. If you came to it looking for raw, overwhelming DPS and the novelty of holding two sabers, you will sorely disappointed. If, instead, you came to it for consistent and reasonable DPS with tricks that help us continue to perform said DPS, then you'll be right at home.

We aren't the FOTM, OP in PvP class. We are the first ones in, last ones out... kick *** and chew bubble gum... here he comes, here comes speed racer... Huttball rookie of the year... mean streets and clean sheets... DPS class of SWTOR.

We don't spike. We sure don't cheese.

We linger, we pester, we KS, we glory*****.

This failed attempt at a motivational speech brought to you by Fsac.

Edited by Fascion

Same for me. I wish I chose Guardian. Sentinel doesn't seem to be good dps. I heard people talking about sentinel like Fury Warrior in WoW. I think that is not true. Sentinel is more like rogue with cloth armor. It just can't stand any dmg. It is pathetic... :jawa_wink:

For me its quite the opposite, I would love to change my Guardian to Sentinel now. :o

Pretty sure you missed my point. Cant heal, cant tank, can only dps. Off hand saber is as useful as a glowstick in a sword fight. I mean we are a glass water pistol of a dps class. I get on a healer and kick like crazy any they /lol in my face and out heal all of my damage. And if another dps gets on me and i have no cooldown i an dead instantly.

Pretty sure you missed my point. Cant heal, cant tank, can only dps. Off hand saber is as useful as a glowstick in a sword fight. I mean we are a glass water pistol of a dps class. I get on a healer and kick like crazy any they /lol in my face and out heal all of my damage. And if another dps gets on me and i have no cooldown i an dead instantly.

If healers are just laughing at you, you're either extremely under geared compared to them or you're doing something very wrong.

When I play my Marauder (sentinel mirror) I destroy healers because they can't actually heal while I'm on them. Close quarters charge + force choke + my interrupt on a 12 second cd = dead healer.

Once I have used all of those charge is usually back up again or the healer is dead due to my crazy damage (annihilation).

Second, you just hit 50. I can tell you, unequivocally, there is a huge difference in when you hit 50 and when you actually have some L50 gear on. Both for yourself and your companion (when/if it is actually used.) The DPS I do now, compared to that of a week ago (still 50) is quite noticeable. The difference between a week ago and when I hit 50 is (~week?) is even more noticable.

Question: Which particular level 50 gear are you talking about? The Tionese gear you get by collecting badges from hard modes, or just the purple mods from running dailies?

I can tell you, unequivocally, there is a huge difference in when you hit 50 and when you actually have some L50 gear on. Both for yourself and your companion (when/if it is actually used.) The DPS I do now, compared to that of a week ago (still 50) is quite noticeable. The difference between a week ago and when I hit 50 is (~week?) is even more noticable.

+1 ^^

someone that finally make sense... being level 50 doesn't mean anything if you're using crappy level40 gear; and this is mainly the problem for most J. Sent user.

I feel your pain and that is why I already gave up on sentinel. Get ready to get flamed and be told you just don't know what you are doing or you aren't geared properly.

It is glaringly obvious that as a pure dps class, we don't put out the amount of damage we should be. I'm not sure why so many people come on here to flame players like you and I who are having trouble with the class. They seem to think everything is peachy.

For what it's worth, I made an imperial agent just to compare. I joined a warzone at level 14 with level 10 gear. I got over 25 kills and more commendations than I ever did on my sentinel. I also did nearly the same amount of damage as my lvl 31 sentinel.

That is all without having 90% of the class skills available, no gear, and limited understanding of how to play the class.

Until we have logs or meters, nothing is glaringly obvious. If you're going by WZ damage, that's subjective at best. I can run a 280k + warzone one round, and barely break 130k the next. I do not attribute this to the class. There are too many variables to make that kind of argument.

Many of us have said the class plays well. Bioware said we're getting quality of life improvements, not vast changes to the way it plays.

I ran with another sentinel a while back who, same level as me, could hardly kill a weak mob in the time it took me too kill a strong one. So... yeah.

I think the one advantage a Sentinel has is the ability to keep attacking and attacking. I'm a dps Guardian and I think I probably have a higher survivability than a Sentinel, but I can't really chain attacks like a sentinel apparently can.

In pvE I've noticed I tend to be weak against Sorcerers and Marauders (darkside version of Sentinel), but can go to town on a Sith Assassin in a one on one situation when the assassin is a comparible lvl.

Part of the problem I think you've been having is your gear as they've said, but I will also say I agree sentinels seem to get clobbered more easily than Guardians.

I've also noticed that Jedi Knights as a whole tend be weak in a solo situation until they get Doc. The fact you're having problems when you have Doc in your party seems to indicate you may have a gear problem.

I feel your pain and that is why I already gave up on sentinel. Get ready to get flamed and be told you just don't know what you are doing or you aren't geared properly.

It is glaringly obvious that as a pure dps class, we don't put out the amount of damage we should be. I'm not sure why so many people come on here to flame players like you and I who are having trouble with the class. They seem to think everything is peachy.

For what it's worth, I made an imperial agent just to compare. I joined a warzone at level 14 with level 10 gear. I got over 25 kills and more commendations than I ever did on my sentinel. I also did nearly the same amount of damage as my lvl 31 sentinel.

That is all without having 90% of the class skills available, no gear, and limited understanding of how to play the class.

See at least he understands. I am skilled and experienced enought to realize something is just not adding up. And to all of u trolls and flamers that say the class is fine and i need to l2 play , you are just over geared beating up on level 20 s and think your god. Open your eyes, sent is gimp.

Until we have logs or meters, nothing is glaringly obvious. If you're going by WZ damage, that's subjective at best. I can run a 280k + warzone one round, and barely break 130k the next. I do not attribute this to the class. There are too many variables to make that kind of argument.

Many of us have said the class plays well. Bioware said we're getting quality of life improvements, not vast changes to the way it plays.

I ran with another sentinel a while back who, same level as me, could hardly kill a weak mob in the time it took me too kill a strong one. So... yeah.

Yes, it is glaringly obvious. Just not to you and every other geared lv50.

Not based on warzone stats either. I don't hold those in very high regard, it was just an example for comparison.

And stop trolling our threads. Don't you have anything better to do?

See at least he understands. I am skilled and experienced enought to realize something is just not adding up. And to all of u trolls and flamers that say the class is fine and i need to l2 play , you are just over geared beating up on level 20 s and think your god. Open your eyes, sent is gimp.

While I'm not lvl 50 yet on my Sentinel...

Why is it that you're having a problem where others are not? We all have some general issues that are fairly well documented (ability delay and such) that we should be seeing some improvements on Soon.

You're so keen to blame the class and absolve yourself of any wrong doing...but if you're doing nothing wrong and doing everything right...how are others out performing you?

Just because you think you're skilled and say you are does not make that a fact.

As a Sentinel I'm still pretty low in my career, but I've been pvping alot, and not so much an observation of how fast my level 18 dies in pvp, but how fast I see level 50 sentinels or any Jedi die, something isn't right. Are the empire players just better or are the Empire equivalent classes stronger? I think they are just stronger, survivabilty wise and dps wise.

Sentinels are a finesse class. You mention your ratings in WoW and state you are a skilled player but the bar is far higher in SWTOR, particularly with this class.

You complain about failing at PvE, but you give no specifics, no specs. From your comment about not being able to heal, I'd guess you are playing Combat spec rather than Watchman. Combat is all about big crits and big hits to kill them faster than they kill you. If you're not accomplishing that, then you need to re-evaluate how you are playing the class and respec a bit to reach your goals.

For healing and being a value-add to your group, try Watchman spec and make sure to max out Merciless Zeal so that crits on DoTs pulse-heal you. Then, make sure you put points into the passives to generate Centering - Valor in the Watchman tree and consider maxing out Temperance in the Combat Tree. This will let you drop into Zen rapidly to pulse out healing to your group.

As far as tanking goes, we are not intended to fill that role much - as we have no taunt - but we can actually be a decent situational off-tank if specced and played well. If you find yourself falling into this role in the groups you run with, max out Recompense in the Watchman tree and use Riposte every chance you get to refresh the cooldown on Rebuke. Save Saber Ward for when the going gets tough - I see a lot of Sentinels bust this early in a fight when they aren't taking much damage. Max out Defensive Forms and swap to Shi-Cho when you're taking a beating... Zephyr and Second Wind in Focus are also helpful.

There are lots of options in Sentinel, but regardless of how you trait, succeeding at any role comes down to attention and finesse.

Edited by Arafeandur

While I'm not lvl 50 yet on my Sentinel...

Why is it that you're having a problem where others are not? We all have some general issues that are fairly well documented (ability delay and such) that we should be seeing some improvements on Soon.

You're so keen to blame the class and absolve yourself of any wrong doing...but if you're doing nothing wrong and doing everything right...how are others out performing you?

Just because you think you're skilled and say you are does not make that a fact.

A LOT of people are having the same issues they just aren't going to come on here and post. Why? Because 90% of the replies are trolls and flamers saying L2P.

Yes, it is glaringly obvious. Just not to you and every other geared lv50.

Not based on warzone stats either. I don't hold those in very high regard, it was just an example for comparison.

And stop trolling our threads. Don't you have anything better to do?

Right, I didn't level from 10 to 50 as a sentinel and complete every class quest and fight along the way.

I'm not trolling anything. I'm providing a different perspective on the class. I'm allowed to do that, right? I mean, share my experience playing this game?

A LOT of people are having the same issues they just aren't going to come on here and post. Why? Because 90% of the replies are trolls and flamers saying L2P.

93% of statistics are made up on the spot.

But if you are going to play that game, then know that less than 5% of the player community come to the forum because they enjoy the class/game and don't care about the arguments going on, not because they fear trolls and flames.

Unlike what you seem to think, the majority of the people not enjoying the game or the class, either silently quit the game or reroll without coming to forum simply because they, once again, don't care/don't bother. They don't come crying to the forums to boost their own egol by rallying like-minded sheeps to their own herd.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

The grass is always greener.

You know I recently played Rift, a fire mage. The game came out, within 2 weeks, forum was full of Mages are rubbish whine, before people got some gear/practise/resitsances/etc, so fickle Trion boosted us, big time. I always thaught we were fine, and did not need any boosts, maybe nerfs.

Anyway short story, 1-2 months later they nerfed us beyond our original balance. We were still pretty good though.

The boost/nerf thing is never good, in fact it proves developers to be incompetent in the first place and fickle in the second. Profit hungry corporates, void of any passion for gaming, hopefuly BW are not this (Too much).

MMOs are never/have never been 100% balanced, in fact nothing in life ever is, picture a football team, you have defenders, mid, attackers. All have different strengths. Pure paper/scissors/rock.

Another tip, is in PvP, make sure to stay on your target until he is dead.

Edited by Outlawe

Right, I didn't level from 10 to 50 as a sentinel and complete every class quest and fight along the way.

I'm not trolling anything. I'm providing a different perspective on the class. I'm allowed to do that, right? I mean, share my experience playing this game?

You tell me what the trick is and I will personally go try it right now. I will waste all my credits (again) on gear upgrades. I will respec (again) to whatever spec you have. I will follow your words to the letter. I don't expect to see any difference, but I am willing to give it a shot. MAYBE there's something I'm missing... but I seriously doubt it after spending hours looking at all of our skills, trying different things, and reading all the guides on the forum.

Throw me a bone. If you happen to be right I will gladly come back here and apologize to you and everyone else.