Jedi Shadow Bursting Guide

Powerr

These numbers mean nothing unless you know the armor : damage reduction ratio.

I'll use my own toon as an example.

I have 6600 armor which represents a 39.47 (call it 40) percent damage reduction.

6% of 40 is 2.4. That is to say 6% armor pen adds a flat 2.4% damage on 6600 armor.

Now my base health is 18k. To go from 100% to 0 health you need to do 18k damage.

2.4% of 18k is 360 dmg. That's how much damage the Armor Pen has added.

Base CS does approx 1.1k damage.

6% of 1.1k is 66 dmg.

360 dmg / 66 dmg = 5.45 ( call it 6)

So basically you would have to use CS 6 times to equal the damage from Armor Pen.

I like this result. Much better than people arguing over builds that don't include Upheaval for PVP.

Yup you're right. It is a lot better, and it scales better as where 6% of a CS is just 6% to one ability.

you can still combo upheveal with this, which is naaaasty.

Shout out to father earth haha. Dude we should combine guilds haha that would then be OP :-P . Nato playing too? If he is I wanna guess he a knight lol.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup you're right. It is a lot better, and it scales better as where 6% of a CS is just 6% to one ability.

you can still combo upheveal with this, which is naaaasty.

Shout out to father earth haha. Dude we should combine guilds haha that would then be OP :-P . Nato playing too? If he is I wanna guess he a knight lol.

yeah hes playing a dps guardian, he tops every single game in damage by a long shot. Even surpasses me. **note hes rank 52

Reroll anchorhead:P PM me your aim or steam or something

Edited by Powerr

These numbers mean nothing unless you know the armor : damage reduction ratio.

I'll use my own toon as an example.

I have 6600 armor which represents a 39.47 (call it 40) percent damage reduction.

6% of 40 is 2.4. That is to say 6% armor pen adds a flat 2.4% damage on 6600 armor.

Now my base health is 18k. To go from 100% to 0 health you need to do 18k damage.

2.4% of 18k is 360 dmg. That's how much damage the Armor Pen has added.

Base CS does approx 1.1k damage.

6% of 1.1k is 66 dmg.

360 dmg / 66 dmg = 5.45 ( call it 6)

So basically you would have to use CS 6 times to equal the damage from Armor Pen.

I like this result. Much better than people arguing over builds that don't include Upheaval for PVP.

You're on the right track, although the armor pen doesn't apply directly to the armor damage reduction like you have. It applies to the armor value, then recalculates damage reduction. In other words, if you had 40% armor reduction and then an ability with 50% arp hit you, it wouldn't result in 20% damage reduction...it would actually end up being 25% damage reduction with how the numbers work out.

Although the increments we're dealing with here are pretty small, so the variance from what you already calculated isn't much... ends up being a 2.3% damage increase instead of 2.4%. (yeah, big deal...)

The more important thing to note when comparing the two talents is that we're getting 2.3% damage increase against tank armor values for all attacks subject to armor. (Everything for Infiltration except FB and Shadow tech procs.) That is slightly better than 6% on CS alone.

However, against other targets... When attacking a Light armor target ~3000, that damage increase drops down to only 1.3%...which is worse.

The two talents are actually pretty close to balanced. Applied Force generally wins out against non-tank targets.

Edited by Boarg

Hey, first of all you are an awesome player. Not just because the way you play. lol

Would you mind tell us if/how you've modded your BM gear and your stats ?(self buffed /without adrenals/relics)

I'm taking off the accuracy enhancements and putting the decent ones from champion gear...

First off great guide, it has really helped me out!

Now my Shadow is lvl 25 and has Cyber. I have a 45 Commando with biochem. Would you suggest switching to bio on my Shadow too? I can craft the lvl 48 items for my Shadow with my Commando but would it be worth it? Sorry if you have already addressed a question like this, and thanks again for the great guide! WHERES DA STICKY?!?!?

First off great guide, it has really helped me out!

Now my Shadow is lvl 25 and has Cyber. I have a 45 Commando with biochem. Would you suggest switching to bio on my Shadow too? I can craft the lvl 48 items for my Shadow with my Commando but would it be worth it? Sorry if you have already addressed a question like this, and thanks again for the great guide! WHERES DA STICKY?!?!?

cybertech should only be considered for healers, if you are a healer you need to think about that one a bit:P

I don't think there are mods on these class forums or they don't think its "sticky material" :(

Hey Powerr,

Can you repost your current screen shots of your gear and stuff like you had up before?

Also which spec are you personally currently using? The one with 2 pts in Kinetic?

Conversation was a little hard to follow but am I right in assuming that we drop 2 points from lowering the cool down from force breach because it's not important to cast it as often as possible? because we want to really cast it when it's stacks are 4-5?

cybertech should only be considered for healers, if you are a healer you need to think about that one a bit:P

I don't think there are mods on these class forums or they don't think its "sticky material" :(

Thanks for reply. So... since there is no healing spec for Shadows guess ill switch to Bio. Well looks like we'll just have to bump this thread every day then. :D

Hey Powerr,

Can you repost your current screen shots of your gear and stuff like you had up before?

Also which spec are you personally currently using? The one with 2 pts in Kinetic?

Conversation was a little hard to follow but am I right in assuming that we drop 2 points from lowering the cool down from force breach because it's not important to cast it as often as possible? because we want to really cast it when it's stacks are 4-5?

been trying 2 points in Technique Mastery and yes taking 2 points out of Security Breach

I can possibly post a screen shot of my gear but I don't really want to release what Mods, etc that I've picked

Hey, I appreciate the guide. Some good info for sure. I am a level 43 Infiltration Shadow, and I have a habit of never using Shadow Strike. My pvp rotation usually looks like this:

(from stealth)

spinning kick

clairvoyant strike

clairvoyant strike

project

force breach

(repeat)

My question is, will leaving out Shadow Strike make a noticeable difference in my burst damage? I used to use Shadow Strike every time the proc was up, but the requirement to be behind the target, combined with what seems to be my character's extremely clumsy/slow execution of the ability meant that I was usually wasting time trying to line up the attack and often watching my toon start/stop the attack animation while hitting nothing.

Plus, leaving out Shadow Strike frees up 2 talent points to put elsewhere (although I am forced to waste 1 talent point on the proc talent in order to progress through the tree).

I am super comfortable with my current rotation, do I really need to change it to be competitive at 50?

Hey, I appreciate the guide. Some good info for sure. I am a level 43 Infiltration Shadow, and I have a habit of never using Shadow Strike. My pvp rotation usually looks like this:

(from stealth)

spinning kick

clairvoyant strike

clairvoyant strike

project

force breach

(repeat)

My question is, will leaving out Shadow Strike make a noticeable difference in my burst damage? I used to use Shadow Strike every time the proc was up, but the requirement to be behind the target, combined with what seems to be my character's extremely clumsy/slow execution of the ability meant that I was usually wasting time trying to line up the attack and often watching my toon start/stop the attack animation while hitting nothing.

Plus, leaving out Shadow Strike frees up 2 talent points to put elsewhere (although I am forced to waste 1 talent point on the proc talent in order to progress through the tree).

I am super comfortable with my current rotation, do I really need to change it to be competitive at 50?

If you use it kinda to the side of them, it is a lot more reliable. It does however increase damage substantially.

Edited by Powerr

I really hate when shadow strike misses. I've also found it more reliable when I'm on the side of my target, and I typically hit a stun before I do it just to make sure.

I pretty much PvE only, but this guide has helped me a LOT, I can take down almost anything within 4 levels of me now. Thanks!

I dont get it.

You walk around without your gear just to dont let people inspect you?

Well...he did post a pic of his gear. And he says he has full stalker set and full survivor set, but switches pieces out when he changes spec. He also said he won't give you his keybinds, but you can see them in his videos if you really want to duplicate his. What more do you want? Its not like he has some kind of super gear that's unavailable to you. This guide just serves to tell you how to get those nice 5k crits he gets.

And so that I'm contributing something:

Newer Shadows might find it useful to know that five parts of the Rotation of Doom can be used in quick succession as they don't have a Global Cooldown (GCD) and it's a good idea to factor this in when setting up your key binds. I love it. It's like a dramatic pause before the pain comes.

-clairvoyant strike x 2

GCD

-overcharge consumable

-power relic

-force potency

-battle readiness

-project

GCD

-force breach

And so that I'm contributing something:

Newer Shadows might find it useful to know that five parts of the Rotation of Doom can be used in quick succession as they don't have a Global Cooldown (GCD) and it's a good idea to factor this in when setting up your key binds. I love it. It's like a dramatic pause before the pain comes.

-clairvoyant strike x 2

GCD

-overcharge consumable

-power relic

-force potency

-battle readiness

-project

GCD

-force breach

haha amazingly true