The truth hurts

danold

Before SWTOR came out, I knew my laptop was just above the minimum system requirements to run the game. Intel Core Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz 4.00 GB Windows Vista Nvidia 9800M GTS blah blah.. After experiencing 45-55 fps ( then face planting to 3-5 fps) I decided to take a look at the system requirements on the game box. At the very end of the minimum requirements it says

" Due to potential changes, the minimum system requirements for this game MAY CHANGE OVER TIME, and you may need to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to play the game"

So basically this means anyone who bought the game with minimum system requirements is risking not being able to play the game at all.

When has this been an acceptable standard for a game launch? Funny how crap like this drives the computer hardware market. Nobody would need a super fast graphics card if it weren't for video games. Does this seem shady to anyone else?

Before SWTOR came out, I knew my laptop was just above the minimum system requirements to run the game. Intel Core Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz 4.00 GB Windows Vista Nvidia 9800M GTS blah blah.. After experiencing 45-55 fps ( then face planting to 3-5 fps) I decided to take a look at the system requirements on the game box. At the very end of the minimum requirements it says

" Due to potential changes, the minimum system requirements for this game MAY CHANGE OVER TIME, and you may need to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to play the game"

So basically this means anyone who bought the game with minimum system requirements is risking not being able to play the game at all.

When has this been an acceptable standard for a game launch? Funny how crap like this drives the computer hardware market. Nobody would need a super fast graphics card if it weren't for video games. Does this seem shady to anyone else?

Doesn't seem shady when MMOs keep adding content. Blizzard, SOE, and many others have the same even if it's not a disclaimer on the box. Hell, I remember the huge uproar with EvE Online's decision to drop the old DirectX 8 client.

Yeah, the minimum requirements usually don't change for some time down the road. That disclaimer is there because they might upgrade the game engine at some point and along with that will come new system requirements. But that wouldn't be for a year or more down the line.

Actually this is pretty standard for any MMO game. This style of game essentially always growing and improving over time, and thus the system requirements may evolve as well.

eVEN AFter 3 days of buying and playing the game? I understand a game has a right to evolve, im saying their minimum system requirments is misleading except for the part i quoted. The game is not playable at 5 fps. Should have upped the minimum system requirments imo.

To be fair, it's kind of unbelievable that people went from 40-50 frames in the Beta stress tests, when shards typically had 10 to 15 times the number of players they have now, and people are still experiencing WORSE performance problems than in Beta. It's pretty widespread.

at first i thought it was a fps issue on the developers end... now i'm not too sure. My CPU averages around 80% outside of warzones.. that is not good.

Again, I think whoever marketed this game severely mislead its customers...

And to be honest, I don't know how I feel about buying a video game from a company that makes me risk money to run their product..

I guess I'm just frustrated. Grrr!!1 :mad:

eVEN AFter 3 days of buying and playing the game? I understand a game has a right to evolve, im saying their minimum system requirments is misleading except for the part i quoted. The game is not playable at 5 fps. Should have upped the minimum system requirments imo.

My brother runs on a Dual-Core 2.1Ghz processor with a 9800 and 2GB of RAM. If you're dropping to 4 or 5FPS, it's likely due to either something borking up on your system, or the fact that you're using a mobile card.

The Intel Core i5 I run on is constantly pegged when running SWTOR. That's fine, it's what it should be doing.

Edited by Freyar

When has an old laptop been an acceptable standard for a gaming computer?

When has selling a video game with shady minimum requirments (which mine meet) ever been acceptable. I should be able to run missions without any problem at 1280x800 with everything turned on low or off.

When has selling a video game with shady minimum requirments (which mine meet) ever been acceptable. I should be able to run missions without any problem at 1280x800 with everything turned on low or off.

Not really. Minimum specs were always "you can run it at MAYBE non-slideshow rates on a FRESH install of Windows with NOTHING else running."

Just like recommended, they're guidelines, not absolutes and this is more true when you start introducing third party influences such as other apps, hardware, and drivers.