Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Are there really more empire players than republic?

Renroval

Really? Is there a reason why people prefer empire over republic? I just don't get it. Republic characters aren't all that bad. Smugglers are awesome.

And republics are the good guys! They save the universe from the evil sith empire!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In many MMOs there's one faction that the masses flock to and one that is the underdog. In WoW it was the Alliance, in WAR it was Destruction, in TOR it is the Empire...

Just a fact of MMOs. I have toons on both factions, and at least on my server, I can tell you the difference in quality of players is extreme. The Empire chat channels are flooded with bickering, internet memes, racism, and general stupidity. While the Republic channels have some of this on the earlier planets, they are generally full of people giving advice, being helpful, or looking for groups.

Most of the Empire players I've grouped with, are either extremely rude or are just bad at playing. Every group I've been in has yelled at me to spam my spacebar during conversations. :rolleyes:

People prefer to be evil. What that says about the future of humanity is depressing.

I really don't think that's true.

I think the main reason people prefer to be empire is because all the movies were told from republic side. So the storylines are more interesting on empire side. I also think a lot of the empire areas and combat animations are far cooler than the republic counterparts.

In many MMOs there's one faction that the masses flock to and one that is the underdog. In WoW it was the Alliance, in WAR it was Destruction, in TOR it is the Empire...

Just a fact of MMOs. I have toons on both factions, and at least on my server, I can tell you the difference in quality of players is extreme. The Empire chat channels are flooded with bickering, internet memes, racism, and general stupidity. While the Republic channels have some of this on the earlier planets, they are generally full of people giving advice, being helpful, or looking for groups.

Most of the Empire players I've grouped with, are either extremely rude or are just bad at playing. Every group I've been in has yelled at me to spam my spacebar during conversations. :rolleyes:

Both sides are bad. Empire just have more because there are more players on Empire.

I really don't think that's true.

I think the main reason people prefer to be empire is because all the movies were told from republic side. So the storylines are more interesting on empire side. I also think a lot of the empire areas and combat animations are far cooler than the republic counterparts.

It's aesthetics, I think. Better armor looks. Purple lightning vs. pebble-spam.

Edited by knightblaster

I could bet you that Bioware Created the EMPIRE side before the Republic..

It seems that they have concentrated more on the sith side than the republic, as the Empire and the story-lines seem to be A LOT better, Powers too..

Edited by Sakushi

It's aesthetics, I think. Better armor looks. Purple lightning vs. pebble-spam.

Funny enough, that pebble spam would hurt you ALOT more than lightning in terms of possible damage. Lightning is only a possible chance of brain damage, those rocks consular throws are actually big enough to smash your head.

Funny enough, that pebble spam would hurt you ALOT more than lightning in terms of possible damage. Lightning is only a possible chance of brain damage, those rocks consular throws are actually big enough to smash your head.

Right, but the point is that purple lightning coming from your fingertips is just cooler aesthetically.

Because playing a light side Sith Warrior is some of the most fun I've had in a while. The story seems all the more intriguing this way.

Besides: the Republic isn't inherently good and the Empire isn't inherently evil. There's a whole lot of gray there.

Have to agree... My LS Marauder is a lot more fun than my LS Jedi Guardian... But in general I prefer the Republic's more mature players.

People prefer to be evil. What that says about the future of humanity is depressing.

I do not think there is any evidence to even conjecture that enjoying being a morally bad character correlates to being a morally bad person in real life. There are a myriad of reasons one might want to play an evil character other than the fact that they are evil inside. Villains, while of course morally wrong, make for great characters and enthralling stories. To enjoy that is not to necessarily be evil.

This is coming from a person who can't play a dark side character because it makes me feel bad inside, but I realize other people do not react in that way and have benign reasons to play an evil character.

Because playing a light side Sith Warrior is some of the most fun I've had in a while. The story seems all the more intriguing this way.

Besides: the Republic isn't inherently good and the Empire isn't inherently evil. There's a whole lot of gray there.

For some interesting reason, the light side on empire tends to be the smarter decisions for war effort with dark being the herp-a-derp I kill because I can. Sames goes to Republic with dark side being the more tactical decision.

Edited by Idunhavaname

The Empire chat channels are flooded with bickering, internet memes, racism, and general stupidity. While the Republic channels have some of this on the earlier planets, they are generally full of people giving advice, being helpful, or looking for groups.

I think that's not true, you are overgeneralizing here. I'm playing for the Empire and I always had my questions answered and I've seen people actually help each other a lot. One guy even showed me all the datacrons on the first planet by running me into them and it was his initiative, so I did the same to other people after that. I can only remember a couple of morons in the chat for the whole time playing.

Actually, there's a lot of research (which I'm too lazy to find examples of right now) that shows that in many cases, when people experiment with negative emotions like "being evil" in a safe, consequence free environment like a video game, it helps them get it out of their system and learn from the experience without hurting anyone in real life. Of course, spending too much time in a virtual world can still be its own problem...

TL;DR: Lots of nice people play evil characters.

I think that's not true, you are overgeneralizing here. I'm playing for the Empire and I always had my questions answered and I've seen people actually help each other a lot. One guy even showed me all the datacrons on the first planet by running me into them and it was his initiative, so I did the same to other people after that. I can only remember a couple of morons in the chat for the whole time playing.

Maybe your server is better than mine, but playing Republic, I have have never had to use the ignore feature. On Empire I already had several people on ignore before level 10. After that, I just clicked on the chatbox tab that hid general chat for every planet I've been to since.

Really? Is there a reason why people prefer empire over republic? I just don't get it. Republic characters aren't all that bad. Smugglers are awesome.

And republics are the good guys! They save the universe from the evil sith empire!

I n the end it will be equal i think ,all the classes are so different from each other and the quests are all very different for the dark and light side.

I know i will play/level all classes ,right now i am doing all the republic classes but i kn ow that when i finish all four rrepublci classes i will level all four empire classes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.