Lack of Guild Features

Senth

I got to say I am pretty disappointed in the Guild features in this game so far. First off, there is no way to sponsor members, which is pretty crappy, it's a lot easier on recruiters if members can just sponsor their friends to be reviewed by recruiters, especially for RP guilds or guilds with some type of requirement.

((There at least is a workaround, making a rank with no rights and giving everyone /ginvite permissions))

Also I'm very disappointed in a lack of guild-wide mail. I do not want to create a website, in fact, I did a guild vote and no one wanted a website. We are a roleplaying guild and would rather utilize in game features such as the mailing system to communicate. However the fact that I have to individually send members the mail is very tedious. And even more so because there is apparently a cool down between times that I can send mail making the process take forever.

Guilds need more features to help them manage their members, you can't just rely on everyone using a website.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah some features are needed like a guildmail system and in game notice board and such ..but NO guild perks that make you have to be in a guild some people like to go it alone (i prefer a guild ) and they shouldnt feel gimped becuse of there choice

yeah some features are needed like a guildmail system and in game notice board and such ..but NO guild perks that make you have to be in a guild some people like to go it alone (i prefer a guild ) and they shouldnt feel gimped becuse of there choice

I support this. But I am talking features that make it easier for Guildmasters to organize and manage their guild as well as broadcast information to guild members without being required to make a website.

No game has everything in the beginning. Voice your opinion (which you have) and see if the populace sweeps it up to the devs attention. Bioware wants to expand and polish the things they have, and we're still a newborn game. Give things time and we'll see where we go.

Oh, and just so you know: I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm waiting on guildwide storage, personally.

I've not played a game with guildmail or guild-sponsoring before?

Features I miss from previous games: Guild Vault, Recent events type thing (blah blah hit rank 50, so and so joined guild etc), Alliances, Calendar, Guild search.

All those were present in WaR but the guild search was a late addition. In WaR the guild ranked up and that gave access to things like standard bearers (wouldnt make sense/work here), extra vaults etc... whilst in Rift you had to buy your vault, but instead got passive perks as the guild leveled. Some perks were nice but yes it did make you dependant on a guild to compete.

Even if not game affecting perks I'd like to see guild ranks brought in with things such as guild speeder (looks rather than function). Even just being able to customize things so you have a unifying colour scheme etc would be a good thing for a guild to gain.

Granted, guild features are a good thing. But, we were spoiled in games like WoW and Everquest that had those.

Back when stuff first started, you had a website to organize your guild. How hard is that? it's not. Get a guild site and organize your guild that way instead of being lazy.

When the guild features are introduced you can go back to being lazy and depending on the game to give you everything instead of working for it.

Granted, guild features are a good thing. But, we were spoiled in games like WoW and Everquest that had those.

Back when stuff first started, you had a website to organize your guild. How hard is that? it's not. Get a guild site and organize your guild that way instead of being lazy.

When the guild features are introduced you can go back to being lazy and depending on the game to give you everything instead of working for it.

You seriously mistake what lazy is. Wanting to utilize in game features instead of a website is not lazy. I want people to have access to our information in-game, not on a website, and doing a guild vote people preferred in-game mailing and what not for RP sake, RP is core to our guild.

Now, you can call it lazy but I'd disagree, but what's a lot more helpful, individually sending each member each page of the guild newsletter or sending it to all guild members at once?

In real life when you're writing a letter (if you even do that any more, I know there's so few of us left) do you print off a whole bunch of them and send them to various people? Or do you put time and effort into each one, making them unique so that the interaction with that person stays unique and what you've said in the letter doesn't feel like spam mail or a chain letter?

Personally I go with the latter. I hand write all my letters and notes to people, unless specifically required otherwise, or it's impossible. Such as my friend who doesn't have a physical address because he's living in his van, so I have to email him.

I understand your pain with a lack of a way to efficiently send mail, but from my perspective, as an RP guild who focuses their core on RP. I feel like the current system is catered toward that, seeing as you have to take the time and effort to write a letter and mail it to another character. I feel like it adds to the experience, whereas a message that pops up whenever you log on would detract from the RP experience.

That's just my opinion though.

For the record, I don't think you're lazy. I think you just need to look at things a little differently, at the very least until they come up with a system that compromises the current stability of mailing.

Id like to see at least a guild mail to assigned officers if a member has been recruited into the guild. In Star Wars Galaxies whenever a player was recruited, the entire guild received a mail on it. The message of the day could use expanding to more text allowed also.

The system needs improving and more features added and im sure in time they will come.

In real life when you're writing a letter (if you even do that any more, I know there's so few of us left) do you print off a whole bunch of them and send them to various people? Or do you put time and effort into each one, making them unique so that the interaction with that person stays unique and what you've said in the letter doesn't feel like spam mail or a chain letter?

Personally I go with the latter. I hand write all my letters and notes to people, unless specifically required otherwise, or it's impossible. Such as my friend who doesn't have a physical address because he's living in his van, so I have to email him.

I understand your pain with a lack of a way to efficiently send mail, but from my perspective, as an RP guild who focuses their core on RP. I feel like the current system is catered toward that, seeing as you have to take the time and effort to write a letter and mail it to another character. I feel like it adds to the experience, whereas a message that pops up whenever you log on would detract from the RP experience.

That's just my opinion though.

For the record, I don't think you're lazy. I think you just need to look at things a little differently, at the very least until they come up with a system that compromises the current stability of mailing.

If I made a newspaper, I'd print off each one, not hand write each one. I think that really sums up any argument I can make.

And MOTD is a message that pops up when you log in. I'm saying guild mail, as in being able to send to multiple people at once. If you were implying that doesn't fit in with RP, that'd be hysterical though I'm sure you're not. Even we have the ability to send e-mails to multiple people at once, if they couldn't invent that technology then... what?

Not talking about an MOTD as much as I'm talking about the email thing. I should be able to send it out to all guild members with one click after writing it. Not having to C&P it and then send it over and over.

If I made a newspaper, I'd print off each one, not hand write each one. I think that really sums up any argument I can make.

And MOTD is a message that pops up when you log in. I'm saying guild mail, as in being able to send to multiple people at once. If you were implying that doesn't fit in with RP, that'd be hysterical though I'm sure you're not. Even we have the ability to send e-mails to multiple people at once, if they couldn't invent that technology then... what?

Not talking about an MOTD as much as I'm talking about the email thing. I should be able to send it out to all guild members with one click after writing it. Not having to C&P it and then send it over and over.

That's fair enough. I'm not against the idea I was just saying that what we have is functional even if it's not efficient and you can use it to your advantage for RP. As in, you can build a better depth between your characters via mail than you could with a mass spammed message. I'm not saying that having a massed spam message wouldn't be bad (unless you look at Order 66) just that it's OK to be without it for now.

Basically, I think it's going to take a while for it to be implemented so I was offering another way to look at mail so it doesn't feel so much like having a brick thrown at your face every time you want to send out a message to all your guild mates. Which is what I kind of relate the current feeling to, or did, until I started looking at it the way I posted before.

Sorry, if it came across as saying that what you were saying was unreasonable. I did not mean it in that way.

That's fair enough. I'm not against the idea I was just saying that what we have is functional even if it's not efficient and you can use it to your advantage for RP. As in, you can build a better depth between your characters via mail than you could with a mass spammed message. I'm not saying that having a massed spam message wouldn't be bad (unless you look at Order 66) just that it's OK to be without it for now.

Basically, I think it's going to take a while for it to be implemented so I was offering another way to look at mail so it doesn't feel so much like having a brick thrown at your face every time you want to send out a message to all your guild mates. Which is what I kind of relate the current feeling to, or did, until I started looking at it the way I posted before.

Sorry, if it came across as saying that what you were saying was unreasonable. I did not mean it in that way.

Except that there is a minute cooldown between each message so sending a guild-wide message takes forever.

Except that there is a minute cooldown between each message so sending a guild-wide message takes forever.

I mostly send mail between my alts or for RP contact occasionally. Otherwise I don't really send mail, so I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday.

I support this. But I am talking features that make it easier for Guildmasters to organize and manage their guild as well as broadcast information to guild members without being required to make a website.

If you're not using a website to communicate with your guild then frankly you're doing it wrong.

I recruit through the website and require all members to be active on it. This is what we use our site for:

No one is added in game without first submitting an application, which allows officers time to see it and give feedback. This has helped us to avoid bad players.

No one gets onto the raid team without first signing up for raid team signup on the website and stating their spec and no one gets onto a weekly raid without signing up for it on the site. People who want to raid have to follow the guide for things they have to sort out before they can start raiding and watch the videos for the run, which are on the site.

All rules including raiding rules are hosted there and all discussion about the future of the guild and the direction it is going there is website based so that we have a clear record and everyone has a chance to respond.

All news is shared on the site, whether guild related or game related. This includes screenshots and videos made by guildies.

We also have a private officers forum to discuss policy/ problems/ etc.

We have separate forums for each class which are now full of useful info

We have an additional Google docs accounts for spreadsheets keeping track of our crafting pool, raid team and general guild population, alts and nicknames etc.

Websites are required for proper organisation and the results are good. I guess that’s why we’re number 1 on our server for PVE and were the first guild seriously raiding. We also get more applicants than we can shake a stick at – because people see us in game doing the things that they want to do, then google us and see from our website that we’re doing it right.

If you're not using a website to communicate with your guild then frankly you're doing it wrong.

I recruit through the website and require all members to be active on it. This is what we use our site for:

No one is added in game without first submitting an application, which allows officers time to see it and give feedback. This has helped us to avoid bad players.

No one gets onto the raid team without first signing up for raid team signup on the website and stating their spec and no one gets onto a weekly raid without signing up for it on the site. People who want to raid have to follow the guide for things they have to sort out before they can start raiding and watch the videos for the run, which are on the site.

All rules including raiding rules are hosted there and all discussion about the future of the guild and the direction it is going there is website based so that we have a clear record and everyone has a chance to respond.

All news is shared on the site, whether guild related or game related. This includes screenshots and videos made by guildies.

We have an additional Google docs accounts for spreadsheets keeping track of our crafting pool, raid team and general guild population, alts and nicknames etc.

Websites are required for proper organisation and the results are good. I guess that’s why we’re number 1 on our server for PVE and were the first guild seriously raiding. We also get more applicants than we can shake a stick at – because people see us in game doing the things that they want to do, then google us and see from our website that we’re doing it right.

That right there is the biggest problem every MMO has when it comes to guilds. Proper communication requires an external solution. You shouldn't have to force your guild members to sign up for the guilds website for the sole purpose of organizing, maintaining and running flashpoints, operations..etc. You may say it works for you and your guild but for the majority of users in a guild, it doesn't work. What we need are in-game guild forums and a calendar. Those two items would make guild websites nothing more than a novelty and place for showing off results.

That right there is the biggest problem every MMO has when it comes to guilds. Proper communication requires an external solution. You shouldn't have to force your guild members to sign up for the guilds website for the sole purpose of organizing, maintaining and running flashpoints, operations..etc. You may say it works for you and your guild but for the majority of users in a guild, it doesn't work. What we need are in-game guild forums and a calendar. Those two items would make guild websites nothing more than a novelty and place for showing off results.

Completely disagree - by having calendar and communication out of game people are still able to communicate out of game - for example if they can't get home in time to raid or have their account hacked. A website IS an external solution and the good guilds use them.

I'd just like to focus on the colored bit for a moment here. See, to me it sounds like you aren't an RP guild. For a raiding guild, yea external websites are required until Devs get smart and actually implement the required tools directly in their game.

For an RP guild? Its pretty pointless to have a website/forums. Sure, there are some benefits to it but aside from being able to have a forum-based interview/application forum as opposed to in-game interviews, and posting backstories there's really no use.

While external communication may work for Raiders, its kind of pointless for RP and pure PvP guilds for the most part with only minimal benefit.

Again, I disagree. Here are the questions I would put to you:

1) Where do you host your guild rules?

2) Where do you discuss guild policy? You can't just do this ad hoc in guild chat and keep it fair and open.

3) Where do you link levelling guides etc? I know you're RP but surely that doesn't mean you have absolutely no interest in playing well!!

4) Where do you give details about RP events?

5) If someone was unable to attend an event they had committed to how would they let you know this?

I know quite a few RP guild leaders with established websites. I seriously think anyone trying to run a guild without bothering to use a site is just holding themselves back.

Agreed, external websites only work for a certain type of guild. For example, my buddy's WoW guild is literally like a second job. To maintain membership in it you must be active on the forums and dedicate a certain amount of time for raiding and whatnot. I'm not sure if these types of guilds have made their way over to SWTOR (I'm sure they have though.), but that's where external forums work. My guild in SWTOR is a social guild, just getting our guild members to visit the website periodically is a miracle in itself. Its not because they don't care about the guild or are lazy, far from that in fact as we've got members who've done a lot more then some of our officers. Its the simple fact that it's not incorporated into the game. If in-game forums were available I guarantee that my guild would constantly be using them.