[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I'm told this no longer works. There's no way to force the issue via the ini files. ATI card owners have a way to force the issue with the card itself, but I cannot find such a setting in my NVIDIA control panel.

you can't force it trough the client settings in the game folder but if you go trough appdata and mark the file read only it still works. Like anything bioware butched the last patch and didn't bother going and fix the file in the windows repertory whom is actually the one used first then the one in their repertory...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, the more I see of these issues, the more I'm convinced they're purposefully keeping the load on the engine light so it doesn't self destruct or something.

All we really want is to have the option to see our own character (and companion) in hi-res. That is absolutely paramount. The current textures in game are simply not acceptable.

you can't force it trough the client settings in the game folder but if you go trough appdata and mark the file read only it still works. Like anything bioware butched the last patch and didn't bother going and fix the file in the windows repertory whom is actually the one used first then the one in their repertory...

well I'll give it another try, but I've tried this before and saw no difference in rendering anything. Others have since confirmed the ini file cannot force this change. /shrug

It's fairly obvious they are aware of this issue, seeing that they disabled medium setting on PTS altogether, calling it "high" now. Hiding it is not a solution.

First, the UI issue. The preferences menu as it is seen on the Public Test Server for version 1.1 of the game is correct - there are only supposed to be two texture choices, 'Low' and 'High'. This replaces the original three-choice preference of Low/Medium/High because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

Bug Bug bug

Please tell us the holoterminal trick , just try to use it ?

Bioware : Quick fix , give us a portable version of the ship holoterminal , the companion can carry it

Go to your ship and just click the holoterminal, and for 0.5 second after that you wil see nice and crisp textures. That time is only enought to make a screenshot. Just play a bit with the timing.

So they've just removed high textures from the game, calling it a day? Apparently medium setting disappeared in patch 1.1 on the PTS. So they're now calling medium the new high. What the hell? Here's hoping that's just an oversight, but if not...that'd be foolish.

nope you are correct. Even though the "medium" setting was there in for pretty much the whole closed beta, "medium" was actually a bug and it was actually supposed to be "high" as stated by Stephen Reid in his original post. so now we only get either "low" or "high" :confused:

The promo screenshots and videos used by Bioware to market SWTOR on this very website show ingame non cinematic graphics that players cannot use due to the option being taken out of the game. No where on this site do Bioware state that the pics and vids do not represent actual gameplay and that is deceiving potential customers.

You say you don't want screenshots as proof of the low detail textures SWTOR uses well how about you go to your ship holotransmitter, zoom in on your character and click the holo. Boom, you are now in the real high graphic settings for all of 1.5 seconds.

No one is asking for cutting edge graphics, hell the real high res graphics are no where close to being cutting edge or even as good as those used in MMO's that have launched in the last 5 years. All were asking for is the graphics the game was advertised with.

Fair enough. I'll concede that at the least BW should put a disclaimer on the site in fine print regarding the no longer available gfx setting used. I don't honestly think it would make any difference at all, other than to satisfy what I personally consider to be "irrational demands" from players with inflated senses of entitlement. That isn't an insult to anyone in particular, that's just my honest view of the situation.

Putting up a disclaimer, or taking down the current pics on the site changes NOTHING. I fail to see how it will make anyone feel "better", it just satisfies some sense of "justice" that people have regarding an issue that, frankly, really isn't that serious. You still don't get the graphics you want. Don't misunderstand me, I fully understand the "but it's the principle!" argument, I just rarely ever agree with it.

My primary reason for posting here though is just to express the fact that the graphics, in my honest opinion, do not look bad. I didn't say "don't post pics as proof" because I don't believe that the higher res textures look better, I'm sure they do - I said it because even without them the game looks good from my personal perspective. Perhaps having played games on Atari 2600 and Collecovision has something to do with that perception.

I said in one of the pages in the previous thread yesterday that if you're staring at stills making comparisons all day then sure, you'll see some inconsistencies and imperfections. If you're playing the game in motion, its a different story. I likened It to taking a person that you personally know and find attractive, taking a closeup pic of their face, and then staring at it - you're going to see all sorts of imperfections you didn't acknowledge in usual company with the person. Yet, (if you're like me) it doesn't detract from the person's beauty. The same thing applies with a video game, especially considering that graphics are a small part of what makes a great MMO.

Here's a screen I took from Batman AC, since the DX11 features screwed up my stuff this was taken without Tessellation and HBAO, this is what is considered barely passable in that game without the DX11 on.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648746999517632101/E6C8CD5973286D61742608B2EBFECC829985ABD1/

wow that looks 1,000 times better than this game and that is 2011 graphics peeps

Well, "punch" them with your subscription if they plan to keep it that way. The Lack of these textures is not a gamebreaker for me, altho it does suck a bit of the yoy Im having with this game. The false advertising on the other hand and now the removal of medium settings is something I will not accept.

+1

If Bioware had of been upfront about the issue before hand I probley would of still bought the game but lying about the issue being just a UI bug and only admitting the truth almost a month after release means they now have zero credibility with me and can kiss my subscription fee goodbye until the game is as was advertised.

nope you are correct. Even though the "medium" setting was there in for pretty much the whole closed beta, "medium" was actually a bug and it was actually supposed to be "high" as stated by Stephen Reid in his original post. so now we only get either "low" or "high" :confused:

People are reporting that there were high resolution textures in beta, therefore the high setting definitely existed. Now we're all stuck with medium.

+1

If Bioware had of been upfront about the issue before hand I probley would of still bought the game but lying about the issue being just a UI bug and only admitting the truth almost a month after release means they now have zero credibility with me and can kiss my subscription fee goodbye until the game is as was advertised.

This.

I said in one of the pages in the previous thread yesterday that if you're staring at stills making comparisons all day then sure, you'll see some inconsistencies and imperfections. If you're playing the game in motion, its a different story. I likened It to taking a person that you personally know and find attractive, taking a closeup pic of their face, and then staring at it - you're going to see all sorts of imperfections you didn't acknowledge in usual company with the person. Yet, (if you're like me) it doesn't detract from the person's beauty. The same thing applies with a video game, especially considering that graphics are a small part of what makes a great MMO.

* "I'll concede that at the least BW should put a disclaimer on the site in fine print regarding the no longer available gfx setting used."

- Sorry, that's not how it works. You don't sell a product claiming to have a feature, then just add some small print saying "oops, it doesn't have that feature anymore". I payed $60 and a 3 month subscription with the intent of playing the game with those graphics - however, I am not getting my money's worth and I'm taking that seriously. It's unacceptable in 2012.

* "My primary reason for posting here though is just to express the fact that the graphics, in my honest opinion, do not look bad."

- Unfortunately, the majority of posters in this thread have an opinion opposite to yours, and majority rules.

Edited by Abruptum
Changing text color

Basically looks like an N64 game

There are F2P mmo rpg on the market right now who have graphics three time better than the current swtor graphic. Hero engine is the biggest lie in gaming history... and bioware ate it all without clinching once.

Fair enough. I'll concede that at the least BW should put a disclaimer on the site in fine print regarding the no longer available gfx setting used. I don't honestly think it would make any difference at all, other than to satisfy what I personally consider to be "irrational demands" from players with inflated senses of entitlement. That isn't an insult to anyone in particular, that's just my honest view of the situation.

Putting up a disclaimer, or taking down the current pics on the site changes NOTHING. I fail to see how it will make anyone feel "better", it just satisfies some sense of "justice" that people have regarding an issue that, frankly, really isn't that serious. You still don't get the graphics you want. Don't misunderstand me, I fully understand the "but it's the principle!" argument, I just rarely ever agree with it.

My primary reason for posting here though is just to express the fact that the graphics, in my honest opinion, do not look bad. I didn't say "don't post pics as proof" because I don't believe that the higher res textures look better, I'm sure they do - I said it because even without them the game looks good from my personal perspective. Perhaps having played games on Atari 2600 and Collecovision has something to do with that perception.

Im sorry but I fail to see how getting the product I paid for as it was advertised to me is in anyway an "irrational demand". I fully expect a new MMO to have bugs and issues at launch but in all my time playing MMO's from UO up to SWTOR, I have never come across the issue of being so misled on how the game looks ingame.

Hey folks - I downloaded the game a few days ago and was worried that the graphics would be seriously lacking, but currently both my cutscene and gameplay graphics seem to be hi-res (compared to the links provided throughout the thread)

I'll try to get some screenshots for you to back this up - could it simply be that the older 'client' installs are a bit broken? I haven't read every reply to this thread so this may have been covered already. I also seem to have 'high' settings for everything, textures included.

I do hope this helps!

edit: the wardrobe ctrl-click 'doll' has utterly terrible textures though - compared to the character in-game.

Edited by Vaerminus

Hey folks - I downloaded the game a few days ago and was worried that the graphics would be seriously lacking, but currently both my cutscene and gameplay graphics seem to be hi-res (compared to the links provided throughout the thread)

I'll try to get some screenshots for you to back this up - could it simply be that the older 'client' installs are a bit broken? I haven't read every reply to this thread so this may have been covered already. I also seem to have 'high' settings for everything, textures included.

I do hope this helps!

edit: the wardrobe ctrl-click 'doll' has utterly terrible textures though - compared to the character in-game.

Well we are playing with the 'doll' graphics so plz let us know.

I do hope this helps!

If you had the beta client who takes more than 19.5gig and didn't mess around with any game_settings.ini maybe you could copy paste it for us ( the one in users/appdata/swtor/swtor/settings/ )

I do hope this helps!

no. bioware said you don't have high res textures other than cutscenes. and there is no true high and high is actually medium. and medium selection was a bug(bs).

If you had the beta client who takes more than 19.5gig and didn't mess around with any game_settings.ini maybe you could copy paste it for us ( the one in users/appdata/swtor/swtor/settings/ )

Mine is the beta client, 31.1GB size and 19.5GB size on disk. Still getting low-resolution textures.

no. bioware said you don't have high res textures other than cutscenes. and there is no true high and high is actually medium. and medium selection was a bug(bs).

the texture are still in our game files ... they simply removed the way we could enable them ... Only a matter of time before we find a fix ... just need more info as to what has changed since beta.