I wonder what Bioware thinks of so many players telling others to leave their game

Jeffor

It's staggering how many people reply with comments like, "go back to WoW" or "go play something else if you don't like it." I was wondering what a game developer or some of the BW employees think of this. I know they have to have a thick skin in their line of work but these are their supporters and many of them are telling people to leave the game they've worked so hard on. Personally it would irk me a little bit as it seems pretty wide-spread around the forums. What do you think? Edited by Jeffor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably realize that the part of the community who often replies with this kind of knee-jerk reaction are too immature to realize what they are doing.

I hope they do lol

Edited by Aisar

You don't seriously think that this doesn't happen on...well...every other MMO?

Of course it happens but it's creeps into so many of the threads I'm seeing around here. More so than I've seen elsewhere otherwise I wouldn't want to discuss it.

I would say they look at the server population on the weekend then laugh.

They have to think about the future beyond the next weekend though. Besides that's a terrible attitude to have if you actually like something. What good comes from that attitude? Every MMO gamer knows that these game change drastically over time so it's not unheard of to ask for, and even expect, some changes to be made to please more people. Just because a person doesn't like a game in the first month doesn't mean they might not like it later. Why try to run them off before they have a chance to change their opinion?

Of course it happens but it's creeps into so many of the threads I'm seeing around here. More so than I've seen elsewhere otherwise I wouldn't want to discuss it.

Actually I want to see how many unsubs there were vs. how many copies of this game were sold. Oh and I want this info from an INDEPENDENT company. Then I'll form an opinion on these issues.

It's staggering how many people reply with comments like, "go back to WoW" or "go play something else if you don't like it." I was wondering what a game developer or some of the BW employees think of this. I know they have to have a thick skin in their line of work but these are their supporters and many of them are telling people to leave the game they've worked so hard on. Personally it would irk me a little bit as it seems pretty wide-spread around the forums. What do you think?

the problem with these people is they will NEVER be happy, no matter what is given to them .. so actually, yes, it is best they just leave and save everyone the headaches because they are less than .1% of the population anyway, so no one will miss them

Personally I'm a little tired of the people who lurk around here just to talk about how much they hate the game. (Bugs and other legitimate complaints notwithstanding).

Of course, people act like WoW isn't a buggy pile of junk, but that's another topic...

I am right there with you .. it just gets old REALLY fast

If I was BioWare I would only read the forums while bathing in a tub full of hundred dollar bills and gold coins. Then I would chortle politely at all of those posts and sip champagne from the cleavage of a super model.

But what about the people that aren't execs or sales people? Administrative assistants or mail room clerks aren't rolling in money and they would be the ones getting laid off if the subs dipped too far. It just seems self defeating and pointless. Even if they are making money now. They still want to be making money in a year, five years, etc.

[sarcasm]Nooooooooo...

They would have you believe all MMOs were great success out of the gate, SW:TOR is the only one dropping the ball here.[/sarcasm]

Edited by Fraxture

I would say right now, it doesn't mean anything. As it is still free trial period, they aren't losing any current money. I realize it means that there will be less incoming in the future, but I don't think it's truly able to be measured at this time as there is nothing to compare it to since they havent been taking any in from subscriptions anyways.

Maybe I'm more cynical than others, but as a developer or even a support member I'd have to crack a smile every once in a while when people say what might be on their minds but they could never actually say it openly for themselves. Especially when it's baseless uneducated criticism and misinformation about something that they likely spent hundreds of hours on, individually. Edited by TradewindNQ

I would say right now, it doesn't mean anything. As it is still free trial period, they aren't losing any current money. I realize it means that there will be less incoming in the future, but I don't think it's truly able to be measured at this time as there is nothing to compare it to since they havent been taking any in from subscriptions anyways.

I guess it would be interesting to reassess the tenor of these forums after Jan 20th. That should be interesting.

No this happens on every other MMO forums that is not WoW. Everyone seems to have formed the opinion that if someone wants any feature even remotely resembling something that WoW has, then that person must want the game to be exactly like WoW.

Hell, it happens in game forums that are NOT MMOs(a specifically recent example, in the Skyrim forums LOL).

I know its cool to hate whats popular, ignoring the fact that by doing so you are doing the exact same thing everyone else is doing anyway, but they had 13+ million subscribers at one point for a reason.

Ill say that yet still refuse to buy an iPhone :p

Edit: What I mean is its ignorant to rail against something just because "Blizzard did it!", but personally I still would not want SWTOR to be a carbon copy of WoW(its not). Then again, I also have absolutely no problem with this game not getting anywhere near WoWs sub numbers. In fact, I would hope that SWTOR gets a stable ~1million and not many more than that just for the quality of community.

Edited by Achromatis

What I find hilarious is to see these individuals type the game is a fail, and then state in the next sentence they are here to help make the game better.

I think I will adopt this method in my relationships.

Me "I am here for the long haul dear, I want this to be the best relationship EVA!!"

Significant Other "That is wonderful dear, could you take the trash out for me?"

Me "THAT'S IT! I AM OUT OF HERE!!!"

Edited by Fraxture

Maybe I'm more cynical than others, but as a developer or even a support member I'd have to crack a smile every once in a while when people say what might be on their minds but they could never actually say it openly for themselves. Especially when it's baseless uneducated criticism and misinformation about something that they likely spent hundreds of hours on, individually.

I suppose that's true but, at the same time, there would have to be times when I was like, "guys, come on. Say anything but that." :p

That's why all MMOs eventually head the same direction other than WoW's direction lmao.

You seriously don't think that this doesn't happen on...well...every other MMO?

If I was BioWare I would only read the forums while bathing in a tub full of hundred dollar bills and gold coins. Then I would chortle politely at all of those posts and sip champagne from the cleavage of a super model.

And make sure they send a fruit basket to that guy that bought a 6 month sub.

What I find hilarious is to see these individuals type the game is a fail, and then state in the next sentence they are here to help make the game better.

I think I will adopt this method in my relationships.

Me "I am here for the long haul dear, I want this to be the best relationship EVA!!"

Significant Other "That is wonderful dear, could you take the trash out for me?"

Me "THAT'S IT! I AM OUT OF HERE!!!"

I've not stated that the game is fail. I am disappointed in the graphics department, but overall I like the game and am sticking with it for a while longer to see how it progresses. It's still in it's first month and I expect things to be messed up right now.