Guide to Your Legacy and Your Legacy Name

Aieny

i posted this over on my thread, but this might be a better place for the question. If I delete the character that achieved the legacy status, does that remove the legacy title from all alts?

thanks!

Once a Legacy is established on a server, it is permanent to that server. You can delete all your characters and start over, but your Legacy will remain...on that server. You can create a new Legacy on another server.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work Aieny. I'm just going to favourite this and paste it to all my friends who keep asking about legacy. I give +over 9000 cookie points for sheer awesomeness.!

My name is Aieny, and I'm an Altoholic.

Hi Aieny

I'd like to mention that I started this thread because I love the idea of the Legacy system, the communal experience from all alts, and I'm anxious to see what the future of the Legacy system holds (how's that for an oxymoron?). A lot of people have had questions about the system, so I figured if I could consolidate all the information into one FAQ it might help focus people on what the Legacy system can and cannot do.

Thanks for the support...I'm hoping to get this listed in the Sticky for New Player guides, hopefully if new players see this before they get randomly spammed with "Choose your Legacy" window, they'll be better prepared for it.

Okay, so what does "invalid" mean? Cause I went through several names that were not profane or related to Star Wars in any way, they all came up as 'invalid.' I tried another, it came up as 'taken.'

Then I settled on mine, which I'm happy with, but I don't understand the seemingly random 'invalid' choices. My husband spent the better part of an hour trying out invalid names, and then he tried Invalid. Now his is the Invalid Legacy, which is hilarious, but we've searched and searched and can't find any official response to this problem.

Okay, so what does "invalid" mean? Cause I went through several names that were not profane or related to Star Wars in any way, they all came up as 'invalid.' I tried another, it came up as 'taken.'

Then I settled on mine, which I'm happy with, but I don't understand the seemingly random 'invalid' choices. My husband spent the better part of an hour trying out invalid names, and then he tried Invalid. Now his is the Invalid Legacy, which is hilarious, but we've searched and searched and can't find any official response to this problem.

Legacy names follow the same convention as regular names; what names were you trying that were called invalid?

You should mention in your FAQ you don't gain any value from leveling alts until the Legacy system is unlocked. So any alts you level before unlocking your Legacy is basically wasted in terms of the Legacy system. I just found this out today and I'm a little sore about it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've unlocked my Legacy and created it. Now I want to know what "character customization" options I would be missing out on by making an alt now rather than waiting for them to be implemented. I already have an idea what kind of alts I want to have, and I don't have a problem with them sharing the legacy name across faction lines, so it's just about not wanting to regret making the alt now if they come up with new options for it later.

Perhaps this conundrum could be fixed if they allow for retroactive application of these options?

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any way to stop the "Choose your Legacy Name" pop-up from appearing every time you load a new area, that is without choosing a Legacy name?

I do not want to choose a bleeping name, and I'm getting really annoyed with the constant pop-up of that tab.

i dont know if there is a way, but you could always choose something, then in preferences turn the name to hidden so its like you dobt have one and that would stop it

Edited by Necodreus

So I've unlocked my Legacy and created it. Now I want to know what "character customization" options I would be missing out on by making an alt now rather than waiting for them to be implemented. I already have an idea what kind of alts I want to have, and I don't have a problem with them sharing the legacy name across faction lines, so it's just about not wanting to regret making the alt now if they come up with new options for it later.

Perhaps this conundrum could be fixed if they allow for retroactive application of these options?

I have this same question, Is it worth it to wait?? I mean by the time 1.3 comes out I could potentially have my new character lvl 30+.

• 4 weeks later...

The Rules of Conduct say that we can't use proper names of non-player characters in SWTOR, though their inclusion of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker on the examples list implies that it's not just SWTOR, but all of Star Wars canon that's off limits (unless Luke and Vader somehow make an appearance in this game). Assuming that it's all of Star Wars canon, or at least SWTOR plus prominent Star Wars names, does that apply to full names only or partial names (e.g. surname only) as well?

Basically, I saw someone with the last name "Onasi", which is a clear reference to Carth Onasi from KotOR. Is the last name Onasi allowed, or had they simply not been caught yet (but will eventually be forced to change it)? My only thought of why it might be allowed was because their first name was not "Carth", and so they had not copied the full name, just the surname.

I'm finally at the point that I can choose my Legacy name, and I just want to make sure I understand all my options. Thanks!

The Rules of Conduct say that we can't use proper names of non-player characters in SWTOR, though their inclusion of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker on the examples list implies that it's not just SWTOR, but all of Star Wars canon that's off limits (unless Luke and Vader somehow make an appearance in this game). Assuming that it's all of Star Wars canon, or at least SWTOR plus prominent Star Wars names, does that apply to full names only or partial names (e.g. surname only) as well?

Basically, I saw someone with the last name "Onasi", which is a clear reference to Carth Onasi from KotOR. Is the last name Onasi allowed, or had they simply not been caught yet (but will eventually be forced to change it)? My only thought of why it might be allowed was because their first name was not "Carth", and so they had not copied the full name, just the surname.

I'm finally at the point that I can choose my Legacy name, and I just want to make sure I understand all my options. Thanks!

Most naming violations are handled retroactively, not proactively. While the system may allow you to use an obscure SW reference, if someone were to report your name as a violation, you could find yourself being forced to change your Legacy name.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this was already asked, but do any existing alts also become part of your legacy once the first one gets Legacy?

I currently have a main, but I've been discouraged from making an alt (even as a placeholder to grab a name i want) b/c I was under the impression that the legacy name and benefits only apply to other characters you create AFTER you've unlocked Legacy.

Is this true?

I don't know if this was already asked, but do any existing alts also become part of your legacy once the first one gets Legacy?

I currently have a main, but I've been discouraged from making an alt (even as a placeholder to grab a name i want) b/c I was under the impression that the legacy name and benefits only apply to other characters you create AFTER you've unlocked Legacy.

Is this true?

Every character on your server becomes part of your Legacy, whether created before or after your Legacy is established.

Every character on your server becomes part of your Legacy, whether created before or after your Legacy is established.

Awesome-sauce! Great that did not punish players who already have ALTs rolled. Although it does make sense to wait if you are interested in Legacy rewards/experience, since you'll maximize that experience by leveling those lower characters after you have a Legacy established.

• 3 weeks later...

After Legacy went live, none of my 3 alts appeared in the screen to create yoru family tree for some reason. But jus totday I created a new character and he appears, but noone else. WHat would the problem be here?

After Legacy went live, none of my 3 alts appeared in the screen to create yoru family tree for some reason. But jus totday I created a new character and he appears, but noone else. WHat would the problem be here?

You have to log in a character before they appear on your Legacy page.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I cant find an answer anywhere... How does the legacy weapon kit work? Is my main character supposed to use it? Are they supposed to give it unopened to an alt? If so will the weapon always be useful? What level does the alt have to be? What happens when you use the kit?

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

Since I cant find an answer anywhere... How does the legacy weapon kit work? Is my main character supposed to use it? Are they supposed to give it unopened to an alt? If so will the weapon always be useful? What level does the alt have to be? What happens when you use the kit?

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

Send any "unopened" legacy kits to lower level alts, they're useless for your main. On the alt(s) with the legacy kit(s), take the item(s) to a vendor on your "home" world and said vendor will construct the item(s) for you. You don't technically use the kit, the vendor does.

As far as I know you have to be at least 15 to use the inheritance items...not sure about this for all classes/kits since the only one in my legacy using inheritance gear/with an inheritance weapon is a SI.

As to always useful, you can't mod the inheritance items so I imagine they're eventually destined for the scrap heap (or some random medical droid :D)- however, that alt of mine acquired the inheritance gear/weapon at 15 and at 21 now I'm still using it. Not that's it's leveling with me, it's just better than anything else I've been offered or have gotten from drops or could buy with commendations.

• 2 months later...

I've meet a couple of Onasi's myself did we meet the same? I saw it at Chunndar how about you?