The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Mass action lawsuit is the only answer.

No, mass sub cancellation is the only answer.

Let them fail on their choice to decide for me what graphics settings are right for me.

Won't be the first MMO to go under a month after release and it damn sure won't be the last.

When development teams start making bullcrap excuses like this, when there is a clearly documented change in graphics resolution between all the beta builds BEFORE December of 2011 and then then final beta build put into play before release, its a case of willful choice to degrade the quality of the product because they think they know better than me, exactly how much my computer can handle and have "good performance".

How a character looks in an MMO is part of the attraction of even developing said character.

With the removal of the unify color to chest option pre-release and this decision to clamp texture resolution in the live world to 50% resolution, I see no point in developing characters in this game because I simply go from really ugly, to, matching but ugly.

And thats another thing:

BioWare specifically stated their choice to remove the "Unify Color to Chest" social option that kept people's armor more or less matching regardless of what was worn was because, and I quote "people did not feel that they were progressing as a character because their characters never appeared to visually improve", but yet now we have an excuse from another direction that says ALL CHARACTERS in the live game space are going to look like low rez pixelated messes because its for the sake of my performance and enjoyment of the game. So why, then, can't I have Unify Color to Chest? All this hunting for "sets" of armor has yielded me, in total, just a matching set of armor that looks like crap, as opposed to an unmatching set of armor that looks like crap.

Seems to me like you're doing an awful lot of thinking for me BioWare, thinking you know what I need better than I do. I can assure you that you are dead wrong.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just ridiculous how some of you are acting. That's why they should have never even responded. The gave gave you an answer which is what everybody wanted here and now some of you don't even believe his answer!!!! What in the world why would he lie? What does he have to gain from it. They told why they did it because the game runs freaking unstable when everything is on ultra! But no people still moaning on here. IF ANY OF YOU ARE SO MUCH MORE SMARTER THAN THE DEVS PLEASE PLEASE GO WORK FOR THEM.

Nobody even thanks the guy for busting his hump and running around trying to find and answer for us just more unhappiness thrown at him. That's cold blooded. Come on folks some level of adult thinking and manners is required here.

It's hard to thank someone for the answer when the answer is "We can't do it better than this because it's a MMO" and yet, somehow, nearly every other P2P and F2P MMO on the market looks ludicrously better than TOR.

I'm sorry but that still looks horrible. Also there are no tweaks that will fix your textures.

You need to brush up on your reading skills as I never said otherwise, I said it looked a lot better than the posted picture of the man I quoted while saying it's still blobby and we need HR textures.

*shakes head*

The joke is that computers today could easily handle the high res textures if the game was better optimized. I played age of conan for over a year and a half with everything maxed out, and it looked so much better than this game.

Here is a screenshot

http://photo.mmosite.com/aoc/2008-08-25/q4tdc3sa2qfnk3d.shtml

i do not even think this guy was maxing the game out...

Edited by Culveren

I'm reposting the screenshots again, without any commentary, since my original commentary was apparently intended to elicit "a negative or emotional reaction from other community members"

Lol, "was apparently intended", huh? You know it was bro, own it. As if any of what you originally posted was supposed to contribute to legitimate, constructive discussion.

My post showing screenshots of three older games with more detailed character textures was removed. I'm reposting the screenshots again, without any commentary, since my original commentary was apparently intended to elicit "a negative or emotional reaction from other community members"

Lord of the Rings Online (2007) - http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/365/screenshot00240ob6.jpg

Everquest 2 (2004) - http://webguyunlimited.com/pixelperfectgaming/wp-content/gallery/everquest_ii_now_f2p_screenshots/everquest_2_f2p_dov_screenshot_04.jpg

Final Fantasy XI (2002) - http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/attachments/ffxi-screenshots/14d1043361314-1000-high-res-ffxi-pc-shots-snap412-555.jpg

It blows my mind that a 10 year old game can looks better than SWTOR.

Even with these muddy textures and blocky shadows, the game runs like arse compared to other MMOs to boot.

My post showing screenshots of three older games with more detailed character textures was removed. I'm reposting the screenshots again, without any commentary, since my original commentary was apparently intended to elicit "a negative or emotional reaction from other community members"

Lord of the Rings Online (2007) - http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/365/screenshot00240ob6.jpg

Everquest 2 (2004) - http://webguyunlimited.com/pixelperfectgaming/wp-content/gallery/everquest_ii_now_f2p_screenshots/everquest_2_f2p_dov_screenshot_04.jpg

Final Fantasy XI (2002) - http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/attachments/ffxi-screenshots/14d1043361314-1000-high-res-ffxi-pc-shots-snap412-555.jpg

Oh I was wondering what happened to it as I was trying unsuccessfully to quote it for truth and hilarity. Only people who would be likely to respond emotionally to that would be the devs because it highlights how bad they've made themselves look. Hopefully others will maintain a reasonable sense of humour over this whole thing :D

Edited by grezgorz

This is me, posting that I don't care. I have fun, graphics are not the end all or be all. If it was I would stop playing KOTOR and Fallout 1.

Yes it kind of sucks, and yes I would like better/higher settings.

But oh well, I will continue to play, maybe we get higher textures, maybe we don't.

It was supposed to make people laugh. :) Bioware can't handle humor at their own expense.

Well sure it was - for the people that agree with you. The people that disagree with you, not so much. I'm pretty sure those are the ones who might have had a "negative reaction" to it, not the ones that "LoL'd" along with you.

They were better off not saying anything...I truly am dissapointed...I waited for this game for years...I literally had dreams about it and now im just soo angry and frustrated I feel like screaming!! I think we should have a choice if FPS suffers then ill change it but for the love of the republic let us choose!

You'll have to use that armor though.

I'm actually the one that made that screenshot. The textures on that armor (level 40 Jedi knight pvp) are just terrible.

Or, if you'd like, we can pick an armor, and I can take a screenshot at a location with the same settings as I did in that pic, and we can compare. Then I can take one with that armor set to illustrate.

The gauntlet is down! :D

Noob character, noob gear, noob world... take your pick.

Edited by Daemonjax

Well sure it was - for the people that agree with you. The people that disagree with you, not so much. I'm pretty sure those are the ones who might have had a "negative reaction" to it, not the ones that "LoL'd" along with you.

I don't see how anyone who 'disagrees' with my point that TOR has an underwhelming level of character detail would be offended by my post, unless they interpret satire at Bioware's expense as a personal attack on themselves.

Edited by carnac_fett

Anyone seen Rift? Beautiful game, high resolution textures, also an MMO. Just admit it, BioWare... you guys messed up really badly and I hope you offer us your outlook on a solution soon. I'm playing a game in 2012... why does the texture on my armor look like low graphics settings from a game made in 1998.

Somehow I doubt there's going to be any solution. I don't believe they made a mistake by rushing the product to the market. They made mistake years ago by choosing wrong development toolkit and cutting corners. It is too late.

thought your original post was fantastic....had a very good laugh, thank you.