Addon request: Identify players wasting my time by not hitting spacebar

Gashers

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it would end up being used by one majority or the other to put down the minority. Essentially it would cause the same problems that gearscore did in WoW: Do you get to experience content or do you not, because of X reason.

If I'm on a server where there is a strong SPACEBAR majority, but I like to watch the cutscenes, my expereince is going to be negative because I would be discriminated against and unable to do FPs or OPs. Likewise, if I'm on a server with a strong STORY majority, but I have little time for cutscenes, my experience is going to be negative yada yada yada.

That is fine and I APPRECIATE the fact that you would not join when I put in the "no cutscene" disclaimer. I am glad a player like you who likes the story is a part of the community, I just prefer not to play together. No hate, no animosity, just don't want to group with you - that's all. An addon like this would improve player experiences by bringing like-minded players closer together.

My first reaction on your OP was similar to most here, what a &!!@$#%**

And I'm still not sure why you play this game with such (apparently) limited interest in the story-

However, if you are explicitly stating "no cutscenes" when you are posting LFG, then the people who respond do so under those conditions, and so having a way to identify/ kick them may not be a bad suggestion/ request-

Looking at the posts pointing out how such a tool could keep newer players from participating (which I agree could become a problem), maybe a better approach would be to incorporate the "no cutscenes" as a check-box option in any future LFG tool to give people LFG better control both ways

Edited by Laxhack

Personally, I do not think an add-on would be the answer. I think it should be a group leader function similar to the different loot models. If the group leader turns on the "No cutscenes" flag, all cutscenes are automatically skipped by the game.

This would allow players to drop the group as soon as they see the "No cutscene" flag turned on. Otherwise, if the flag is not enabled, players are free to watch the cutscenes without any issues.

So, recommend it to BioWare. Not something I would use very often, but I can see the potential of it.

It is an MMO, therefore you have to deal with different playing styles than just yourself. If you want to skip everything, play solo.

This. I DO NOT support this option at all. All it would do is allow people who are enjoying the game the way Bioware intended (with storylines) to get bashed for doing just that. It's not like the cutscenes are ridiculously long, it won't kill you to listen to an NPC for a couple of extra minutes.

This is a plea to addon authors. When this game enables support for addons, someone please make one that identifies players who fail by not skipping group conversations with spacebar. This way I can quickly boot them from my group and try to find more efficient players to group with. When I spam my LFM, I already add "no cutscenes" but people still refuse to hit the spacebar sometimes.

You are what is wrong with today's MMO community. I watch the cutscenes unless I have seen them before, then I might skip them...might.

Yes, Bioware took the time to craft these stories and do the voice over work. If you are running BT 10 times in a row to get a particular armor piece, does it REALLY make sense to demand someone sit through all the cutscenes 10 times in a row for the sake of story?

Yes, they demand it and they also demand you enjoy it or this is the wrong game for you.

Sorry but thats the way how it is, you need to wait other :p

Maybe you should consider single player game like counter strike where is no conversations.

Bah useless post -

Fact: Forcing one player to bend to another players play style WILL cause issues. One player choosing to SPEND extra time in his game and causing other players to waste theirs is not ever a good thing.

Edit*

Nevermind the griefing aspect of it all. In a year when just about everone has done these flash points... how many jag offs will still be in there not skipping cut scenes JUST to drive people nuts?

Something needs to be done long term like allowign the group leader to set skippable content just like he can set loot rules.

That is the only way to fix this.

Edited by Knyghtprowler

^ this.

You can even call it <Spacebar Slammmers>, or <Cut the Cutscenes>, or <Impatient Imperials>, or maybe <Rushing Republic>, or even <ADD Troopers>.

I was going to go with <Space Bar Warriors>, but we got imported and didnt want to re-make the guild :)

Oh no. I read it. And it is just another discrimination addon like Gearscore. "I want a mod to tell me who to avoid".

then read this. THIS is what the post is about.

Having read this thread, I am simply appalled.

Not at the OP. With many of the responders.

The OP said he wanted a way to identify those who would not spacebar. He is obviously someone who is running FP repeatedly , NOT SOMEONE who is going through the various stories. He even puts a message when LFG that he intends to skip them.

Now, if you want to focus on the story, that's perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with that. And , conversely, if you chose NOT to focus on the story, that's also fine in many cases, like in re-running FP -- or else Bioware wouldn't have put in the spacebar to bypass it in the first place.

Yet the responses I see bash the OP for stating he wants to enjoy the game his way instead of your way , with one completely hypocritical post calling him elitist...because he didn't measure up to the elitist "you must read the story" demands of the responder.

Yes, Bioware took the time to craft these stories and do the voice over work. If you are running BT 10 times in a row to get a particular armor piece, does it REALLY make sense to demand someone sit through all the cutscenes 10 times in a row for the sake of story?

If you cannot bother to respond to the above , then please, stop trolling.

Magynn -- Thyaan -- Charun -- Server : Krath

not my post but its worth re-posted for you trollers.

Edited by Thorun

let me know what server and character names so that I can ignore you and not waste your time.
Not to be rude, but he's the guy advertising his group with the message "no cutscenes".

I'm amazed at how many people on this thread seem to be just looking to flame someone and act all indignant about something for no reason.

If this guy joins YOUR group and starts complaining at you to hit the spacebar you have a legit issue with him.

If YOU join HIS group which clearly says, "NO CUTSCENES", it's on you to hit the spacebar and if you don't, he has every right to kick your butt out of his group.

I don't agree with playing the game like that, but if he's clear in his group advertisement that he wants to skip the cutscense, the same people who want respect for their style of play should have some for his in return.

Edited by racsofp

And I'm still not sure why you play this game with such (apparently) limited interest in the story-

However, if you are explicitly stating "no cutscenes" when you are posting LFG, then the people who respond do so under those conditions, and so having a way to identify/ kick them may not be a bad suggestion/ request

This ^

As much as you may not agree with it, if he is creating the group and he is clearly stating 'no cutscenes' then people join the group knowing that. His group, his rules.

However, if you are explicitly stating "no cutscenes" when you are posting LFG, then the people who respond do so under those conditions, and so having a way to identify/ kick them may not be a bad suggestion/ request

Too bad he's playing the wrong game for asking for that. =/

Personally, I do not think an add-on would be the answer. I think it should be a group leader function similar to the different loot models. If the group leader turns on the "No cutscenes" flag, all cutscenes are automatically skipped by the game.

This would allow players to drop the group as soon as they see the "No cutscene" flag turned on. Otherwise, if the flag is not enabled, players are free to watch the cutscenes without any issues.

I agree. If they were going to implement something like this then I think this would be the best way to do it. People who don't want cutscenes won't have to see them and the people who do won't have to worry about getting attacked for it.

Because it would end up being used by one majority or the other to put down the minority. Essentially it would cause the same problems that gearscore did in WoW: Do you get to experience content or do you not, because of X reason.

If I'm on a server where there is a strong SPACEBAR majority, but I like to watch the cutscenes, my expereince is going to be negative because I would be discriminated against and unable to do FPs or OPs. Likewise, if I'm on a server with a strong STORY majority, but I have little time for cutscenes, my experience is going to be negative yada yada yada.

A much more logical objection than "y u no liek story WoW panda".

However, there is a counterpoint to this as well:

Without such a tool, you run the risk of an increasingly large portion of the player base complaining about story length, to the point that future content may be "dumbed down" to cater to the spacebar-speeders in general.

I, personally, would suggest a selection when chosing FP that allows "minimal cutscenes" or "full cutscenes". People who valued story would group with like minded people and run the full ones, while grinders could run the minimals, without gating content.

Remember , if you make it grating enough on the grinders, they'll simply outlevel the FP then come back and solo it. Demanding they cater to others expecations is denying their fun for the sake of others.

Bah useless post -

Fact: Forcing one player to bend to another players play style WILL cause issues. One player choosing to SPEND extra time in his game and causing other players to waste theirs is not ever a good thing.

Except this one person you are saying is wasting your time is actually playing the game as intended.

Find a static group and gear up. Its not that difficult of a concept. If players are so socially inept that they cannot or will not find a guild or "friends" in game, then they have to deal with PUGs and all that comes with them.

Bah useless post -

So making a person skip the story that they want to hear and that Bioware intended them to hear so that someone else can save three minutes is better? You're still forcing one player to bend to another player's will by doing that. You just contradicted yourself.

Sounds like you only want what's "fair" when it works out to your advantage...

This. I DO NOT support this option at all. All it would do is allow people who are enjoying the game the way Bioware intended (with storylines) to get bashed for doing just that. It's not like the cutscenes are ridiculously long, it won't kill you to listen to an NPC for a couple of extra minutes.

You SERIOUSLY believe that Bioware intended people to have to sit through five minutes of cutscenes everytime they want to grind Black Talon? Then why, if that's what Bioware intended, did they even put the space bar in?

So making a person skip the story that they want to hear and that Bioware intended them to hear so that someone else can save three minutes is better? You're still forcing one player to bend to another player's will by doing that. You just contradicted yourself.

Sounds like you only want what's "fair" when it works out to your advantage...

The OP said when he was putting up his LFG message he said "no cutscenes". If you join his group , and demand that people watch the cutscenes, knowing full well they are looking for people who aren't, then it's you forcing someone to bend to your will.

Edited by Vastalee
removed rude stuff

Why is this the typical player that you run into while questing? Does everyone have ADD?

A guy invited me to a group last night as i was about to kill a quest objective. I accepted so that he could get credit for the kill too. We ended up going to fight the other 4 objectives on the same quest. He ends up running like a mad man to every spot like he has 30 seconds to complete the entire quest or he fails.

I don't understand these kids today. I guess i'm just old. :)

Yup.

I was doing the Althiss FP the other day, and one of the players 'tolerated' the other three not spacebar-ing through the cutscenes. But even then he was a pita, because he was always rushing ahead, saying "No, we go here next". Someone asked "What about this glowing droid?" "You don't need that, come on, let's get this done!" Grrrr.

What is the rush? There is no bonus for quick completion.