The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will we get a substantial update by Jan 19th?

Chiricahua

Shoddy fps/combat delay/missing graphical functions, oh yeah it's totally content that wasn't supposed to be in the game 6months ago, biodrone logic right here.

As I stated, they have been patching.

[sarcasm]

I'm certain that with your insider knowledge of the game engine and the coding you would have fixed every problem immediately without any issues or game breaking affects. Unfortunately all we have on our side is the lazy, incompetent, no-account, dullards who have been working on the game for 4+ years to figure this stuff out.

Those slackers had better get my issues fixed now!

[/sarcasm]

When talking about basic features, i mean features of TODAYS standard. The industry evolves right? or do you buy a new car/whatever and don't mind it having features from 7 years ago?

This is a flawed argument that I keep seeing pop up. Games are not cars, and the expectations of each are drastically different.

First of all, following your logic all cars should be convertibles, have V8 engines, leather interiors, woodgrain dashboards, heated seats, satellite radios and 4-wheel drive. But they all don't. The reasons are obvious; not every feature can be crammed into every car. There are technical, financial, and time limitations to be considered. In the end, its up to the developers to decide what features are "must-haves" and what features are not. Maybe that favorite feature you'd love to have in this game wasn't overlooked, maybe it was intentionally omitted.

Secondly, at certain stages of development an MMO just isn't prepared to handle certain features. Bracketed PvP is a prime example of this. BW has stated that eventually they intend to have further brackets dividing levels in PvP, when the game's population can adequately support it.. Imagine if level 50s had their own bracket right at launch. PvP for the part of the community that got to level 50 quickly would be nearly non-existent up until now -- heck, there's speculation that segregating the level 50 population might result in extraordinarily long warzone queues even now. And if your reply to that is "They shouldn't have rushed to 50 then", that's irrelevant. Whether you care about a bunch of avid (and perhaps obsessive) fans of the game sitting around with nothing to do or not, BioWare does, and should.

Thirdly, when I buy a car, I want convenience, not challenge. I don't want the challenge of having to manually roll down my windows, I want power windows. I don't want the challenge of having to reach across the seat to let my wife in, I want power locks. When I buy a game, I definitely want challenge. Perhaps my last game had instant travel from town to town. Its certainly more convenient for getting where I need to go quickly, but does that mean I want it in my next MMO? Not necessarily. I might feel that it lessened the game world's sense of size and the feeling of having a massive space to roam and explore in the game. Just because game X came out years ago and had the feature doesn't automatically make it a given for every game after it.

And lastly, even if some feature that isn't in the game is noticeably absent and regarded as "needed" by the majority, there are time and technical constraints involved in the development process that might not make including it feasible, or even possible for launch. When you buy a car, you expect it to be complete, and all that it will ever be unless you take the initiative to upgrade it yourself. MMOs are evolutionary by nature; features that couldn't be added at release likely might be included in subsequent patches/expansions.

In other words: just because all cars come with power steering standard now doesn't mean that every new MMO released should include every "convenient" feature from every other MMO to come before it.

In other words: just because all cars come with power steering standard now doesn't mean that every new MMO released should include every "convenient" feature from every other MMO to come before it.

You need to have pretty much the best of the best features these days, or people vote with there wallet. My own main problem is the lack of a usable UI by todays standard.

Why do people keep comparing the features of wow in 2004 to a game that was released in 2012? Wouldn't it be better to compare TOR's features to Rift? Weird the Trion was able to implement many of the modern expectations in MMO into Rift at release. Rift even had a shorter development cycle with less of an investment.

That's because they didn't put any time into making the game fun. Luckily the SWTOR team did.

The 1.1 Patch will not save the accounts of people already convinced they are leaving. They can claim that if this change or that change comes they might stay. But the reality is this Patch is not going to solve all the problems. Its not going to push this game into infamy. It takes patch after patch to get games on the level WoW is on now. These people know this, but theyve been pampered and they expect the same amount of pampering from this game as others that are more complete. Well, your in for some tough lessons as you move on to other MMOs. They are never complete, and its not only an impossibility at launch, its on purpose. The game needs to mold itself to the playerbase its serving. Not to the playerbase they expect.

I've got enough game time through the 18th I think. I canceled my sub about 1 week ago. I'm hoping for the addition of at least brackets for pvp. I'd like to see bug, hack, and exploit fixes also. And, maybe fix the pvp in Illum and Outlaw's Den that the high level pvpers have been complaining about.

I'm really not prepared to commit long term to this game if it doesn't fix the deficiencies. I'm sure there are some OP classes, but I'd like Bioware to defer making any nerfs until the number crunching is complete.

You get what you pay for. That includes this game.

The 1.1 Patch will not save the accounts of people already convinced they are leaving.

At least 1/3 of the forum whiners are sticking around. That happens all the time. They like whining on the forums. Some people will end up paying 15 bucks a month just to be able to argue on the internet. The game is secondary for them. So for them, the worse the company does, the more value they get out of their subscription.