The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the voice acting. Whoever did the voice for the female jedi consular has a lovely, interesting voice that's not annoying at all.

However, if Bioware is hiring pricy actors for some of the voices then I'm sure an unknown actor/actress could do just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by Supervillainess

YES! I love it! Don't know how we lived with those "wall-of-text"-quests in all the other MMOs out there. The Stories in SWTOR are great, also the small ones. :)

I don't know how we lived on books for like ever. Good thing television was invented so I don't have to spend a minute reading before doing the same task over and over that would be horrible.

Clearly too much of the resources were wasted on voice acting. I agree class quests should have only been voiced and not other quests. How about a better armor designer? Seriously *** is up with the Inqisitor gear looks like a *** member, Bouny Hunter gear looks like a small robot and a big one. There are not enough planets I managed to get to level 50 with out rushing at all and the worst part is my next character doesn't even have a choice on where to level up I have to follow the same linear process instead of having multiple planets/zones to choose from.

As the game stands now no. they released this game way too early. They focused everything on the story/voice acting not sure why they even made this am MMO.

It really feels like a single-player RPG in which I occasionally see others running around.

Anyway, back on topic.

BioWare's dialogue tends to be pretty well-done, on the whole. I have yet to roll my eyes at a line, and I'm playing my consular as a real goody-goody which could lend itself to some really cheesy lines. I've stopped reading books because I thought the dialogue seemed forced or unbelievable or just plain silly.

Edited by Supervillainess

When was the last time you saw a movie that was better than the book it was based on?

2001: A Space Odyssey! I think that was a joint effort..not sure. Like SWG it's a movie from a different time.

Edited by Chromiie

I would sacrifice voice overs for complex, branching dialog trees that matter and lead to significant differences.

I can safely say that the branching dialogs in SWTOR are far more intricate than what was done in, let's say, Dragon Age 2 (not that it was really hard to do, though). And NPCs do react to some of previous picked choices.

I can safely say that the branching dialogs in SWTOR are far more intricate than what was done in, let's say, Dragon Age 2 (not that it was really hard to do, though). And NPCs do react to some of previous picked choices.

Dragon Age 2 was one of the worst games I've ever bought.

The voiced stories will maybe last you a month, then will get bored when your done with it.

Then you need to RE-Grind the same BORING side-quests to play a different story.

Any other tidbits you want to fill me in about how I will like or dislike something?

I find it fascinating considering you have no basis for this kind of comment.

Some of the voice acting is repeated so often throughout the game that I was hoping to get shot in the knee with an arrow.

"Do you need medical attention?"

"No, I usually ride my speeder with my cloak & robes phased through the middle."

"I live to serve the Republic."

"I used to enjoy the voice acting till I took an arrow to the knee"

"It is both an honor and a duty."

"These are the actors without a career you are looking for"

"Why is that Jedi wearing his robe as a diaper mommy?"

:eek:

I turned subtitles on anyway, and hit spacebar thru, I can read pretty fast and the story is easy to follow (check the loading screen if you get lost).

its nice but theres too much of it to wait for the whole thing. I do not need to listen NPC X ramble about the reasons why I need to fetch them 4 wampa legs and a diet soda.

It was a HUGE waste of time and resources with the exception of class quests. Class quest VO is freackin aawesome and I enjoy every second of it, But the fetch and kill 10 of x quests are a huge waste which I like most players just skip through.

And where is the VO in flashpoints, Seriously Bioware how did you botch this up ? You spent all this time with VO and story and then completely ignore majority of the flashpoints where your VO and cutscenes would have shined the most, WITH OTHER PLAYERS..... This is a MMO you made, smarten up.

I agree that the game was released a bit to early also, but I do think the voice overs are worth it for a few reason.

I listen every bit of dialogue also myself, others to me its just like buying a standard single player RPG and being told in at the start of the game kill everything and following the waypoints untill lvl 50.

Reason and story are what keep quite alot of ppl interested and alot of games have failed for having a lack of it. not having to read over lots of txt just to find out why you need to go and do this and that etc is a huge bonus. AGe of Conan for example had VO for the first 20lvls in the starting area and alot of ppl felt a bit misled when they realised that as it, they would have to read everything from that point on.

Also I think the VO adds that lil something that seperates it from other MMO's which is whats needed, without that lil something different everyone knows ppl just compare most if not all MMO's to WoW.

As long as the rest of teh game doesnt suffer and I think they understand, they should keep doing it.

I've got a full compliment of Empire and Republic characters, all at various stages of their prologues, with one of them at the beginning of chapter 1 (after a few re-rolls for changing AC early on, and so on). I'm currently here for the journey, what happens when I reach 50 with all 8 remains to be seen.

So, as someone who is going through the same side quests over and over in a short space of time as I alternate my characters, I still rarely skip dialogue. If I hit escape because I mis-hit an option, or don't like the way it's said, then I'll skip to get to the same point, but other than that, I wait and see it all.

Each of my characters has a different personality. I want to see how they react to each of the quests, be they class or side, and I don't want to skip past that. Perhaps I take the RPG part of MMORPG too seriously for some, but for me the story is crucial, and some of the voice acting has been spectacular, even in the side quests. All of it helps build the image of a richer galaxy (as long as your mind fills in the blanks), and helps me fit my characters into it how I want.

I'm glad BioWare put the effort they did into the voice acting and cinematics. Those for whom it's a bother and gets in the way of their powering through to 50 can skip it, and those of us for whom it's very welcome can continue to listen and enjoy it. And please, give BioWare some credit. They react to the market and listen to it very closely. If they didn't they would already have gone out of business years ago. For their first foray into this type of game, in which they are trying to do something relatively ambitious, it's probably a little silly to be suggesting they should have it all right, right off the bat. This game has the benefit of being an MMO, it will continuously be added to, refined, altered, over time. It's not something akin to a single player game, which is pretty much done once it goes gold, bar the odd bug fixing patch or smattering of DLC. Any problems with balance, end game, PvP, crafting, operations, gear, etc., will be smoothed out over time, as real statistics come in from players. I'd expect we'll start to see more side quests in any future content that are delivered via datapad and handed in to mission complete bins littered around the world. I hope the voice acting continues to stay strong, however, and I don't doubt that BioWare will do their best to try to give most people a great experience, even if they can't please everyone.

The way i see it no one i mean no one has the right to complain about VO/Story being the game was sold as and advertised as an VO/ story driven MMO.

At the end of the free 30 days either sub up or uninstall its that simple. most of the people that are fans of KOTOR will likely be here and those that are Star Wars fans will likely stay. if you are not a RP player then you are not likely going to enjoy your stay here.

I for one like SWTOR for what it is and was sold as. should we the fans have to suffer because the hardcore mmo players want to be lvl 50 in a few hours? they gave players the option to use the space bar to skip the dialogue... that is not enough???

The fact boils down to this, if you dont enjoy something why do it? why change the whole game that was advertised and sold as a fully VO/story game so the minority players wont spam the forums complaining?

If you enjoy Star wars and enjoyed KOTOR and like RPing then be happy that there is a game like this out there.