Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

The same on your part.

It's not the same on my part, because I have not (in this thread) made any claim to knowledge I do not have.

I think it's beyond the pale to speculate the people who play those games would prefer walls of text.

Point to me anywhere I have done that. Noting that you are making hasty, unsupported assumptions does not mean that I have to immediately make the polar opposite hasty, unsupported assumption.

You're trying to exclude the middle to make me look as silly as you look.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the same on my part, because I have not (in this thread) made any claim to knowledge I do not have.

Point to me anywhere I have done that. Noting that you are making hasty, unsupported assumptions does not mean that I have to immediately make the polar opposite hasty, unsupported assumption.

You're trying to exclude the middle to make me look as silly as you look.

Okay, the popularity of those games can speak for themselves. Other single-player RPGS who go the wall of text route, aren't so popular. Deductive logic can be your friend.

Now, I don't want to drag the OP off-topic because this is a great thread. It's an example, sure, but one that applies to the majority of dialogue choices I've come across in the game. On the rare occasion, you'll get to kill or save someone--in which case I'm fully immersed and feel like I'm having an impact.

Those options are usually just Bioware's "we're gping to give the player the chance to make a choice" situations. Hardly any of them every have an impact on the game, and are just there to give you the illusion of choice.

This is made worse by their awful morality system. I pretty much ended up railroading light side in every quest to get access to the tier 5 goodies. I don't see how they can make morality-based games for years and still have faulty morality systems.

DA2 made a good step by getting rid of those awful bars, and they brought them right back with SWTOR.

Edited by Zakaan

Those options are usually just Bioware's "we're gping to give the player the chance to make a choice" situations. Hardly any of them every have an impact on the game, and are just there to give you the illusion of choice.

This is made worse by their awful morality system. I pretty much ended up railroading light side in every quest to get access to the tier 5 goodies. I don't see how they can make morality-based games for years and still have faulty morality systems.

DA2 made a good step by getting rid of those awful bars, and they brought them right back with SWTOR.

Now this is a legitimate complaint! I wish they would remove the tie.

That about sums up my opinion, yes. It's just another broad, but shallow feature.

Edited by Dezzi

I'm honestly impressed with the ammount of people who are complaining about

voice acting

allignment choices

dialogues

choices

etc

on a RPG game.

You assume criticism equates to outright hatred or dislike. I like all of those features, but I take issue with how they are presented in the game.

Voice Acting - Great on the class quests and ambiance, bothersome on the fetch quests.

Alignment Choices - Shallow implementation of a great feature. In reality, you're grinding points for gear.

Dialogues - See "Voice Acting."

Choices - See "Alignment Choices."

On an unrelated note, they can call their game whatever they want to, but that doesn't make it so.

Edited by Dezzi

You assume criticism equates to outright hatred or dislike. I like all of those features, but I take issue with how they are presented in the game.

Voice Acting - Great on the class quests and ambiance, bothersome on the fetch quests.

Alignment Choices - More like an illusion of choice. In reality, you're grinding points for gear.

Choices - See "Alignment Choices."

On an unrelated note, they can call their game whatever they want to, but that doesn't make it so.

Because developers don't develop like that. Could you imagine playing Mass Effect, or Dragon Age, and they made half their fetch quests, Wall of text. That would be odd, and I wouldn't like it. Even immersion breaking.

Edited by Jediwran

To be honest? No, I don't think it does. I would have much preferred those millions of dollars put towards a better engine, graphics, and gameplay. I'm not gonna be playing an MMO for months for a story I've already beaten, and putting in voiced cutscenes doesn't change the fact that we're doing fetch quests. The problem is, I know that even if they had done it that way, they still woulda just copied WoW so then they wouldn't have even had their voice gimmick to help sell the game. So I think it's not worth it only if they would have actually improved the game otherwise. Since they wouldn't have improved the actual game if they scrapped voice, then it's worth it from a business sense since too many fanboys are hyped just because people speak.

Absolutely love the voice acting/scenes. Haven't skipped any and don't intend to. It's like being in an interative movie. I'm not in a race to 50...been there and done that in a variety of MMOs. I'm stopping to smell the roses and enjoying the world that Bioware created for us to experience. Two coworkers that are playing the game with me are taking the same approach. It's a refreshing change to the gaming experience.

in your opinion.

Alignment Choices - More like an illusion of choice. In reality, you're grinding points for gear.

speak for yourself. I have no intention of going dark/light for the gear. in fact, I don't even play the game for having X or Y gear at all.

Choices - See "Alignment Choices.

again, that is your opinion, to which I can reply as you did.

typical responde for someone who doesn't like things as they are.

Because developers don't develop like that. Could you imagine playing Mass Effect, or Dragon Age, and they made half their fetch quests, Wall of text. That would be odd, and I wouldn't like it. Even immersion breaking.

You don't seem to understand...

This isn't Mass Effect or Dragon Age. While TOR may be a spiritual successor to those games in the form of borrowed features, those features must fit within the framework of an MMO.

Just because Mass Effect did it--and did it well--doesn't mean that it's the right thing for TOR.

You don't seem to understand...

This isn't Mass Effect or Dragon Age. While TOR may be a spiritual successor to those games in the form of borrowed features, those features must fit within the framework of an MMO.

Just because Mass Effect did it--and did it well--doesn't mean that it's the right thing for TOR.

Well that's your opinion, and I disagree. It fits well in an MMO, and I am enjoying it just fine. Sorry you aren't.

I'm honestly impressed with the ammount of people who are complaining about

voice acting

allignment choices

dialogues

choices

etc

on a RPG game.

It's not my fault SEGA trumped Bioware's dialogue wheel and choice system in one swift stroke with Alpha Protocol. After playing through that game and witnessing decisions that actually directed the plot flow and often had immediate effects and ACTUAL repercussions, I'll never see the "choices" in Bioware games the same again.

I would have much preferred those millions of dollars put towards a better engine, graphics, and gameplay.

Agree with this engine, graphics, and gameplay is what you enjoy the most in an mmorpg. in an singleplayer rpg voice acting is more important but even then engine, graphics, and gameplay is what a game is about.

I like the voice acting. I think my Smugglar and Imperial Agent have perfect voices. I like that my Jedi Consular is Nolan North, that's kind of awesome.

I listen to all the quest dialogue unless I get distracted by someone talking in party/guild chat. The people here who assume a majority of players skip/listen to ge dialogue is funny, there is simply no way for you to know that.

I played LoTRO and never read any of the text for those quests. I read some for the main quest but others? Never.... In FFXI I read everything, I still remember the stories in the game even after several years an I am hoping SWTOR will do the same.

It's not my fault SEGA trumped Bioware's dialogue wheel and choice system in one swift stroke with Alpha Protocol. After playing through that game and witnessing decisions that actually directed the plot flow and often had immediate effects and ACTUAL repercussions, I'll never see the "choices" in Bioware games the same again.

agree. but even so, I rather have them that just reading a script someone wrote without the so-called "illusion" of choice.

As I said many, many times... I hope BioWare is recording statistics on when people skip the dialogues.

Don't think they can - it's a client-side thingie.

Anyway my point is YES it worth it. Those who do not care - just skip, those who do - well, those get their BIG pleasure. It's an ill modern WoW tradition - to hit <accept>, gaze at the node on a map and move on to the point, to the cap, asap, because who ever cares for quests.

YES, there are not much of various quest concepts, afair all basic RPG ways were summed up many years ago (in the age of ADOM if not earlier, I may even try to find that doc) and there were less than dosn "typical" quests. But even those "typicals" we have here are damn good. So just will you please leave VA alone. You dont need it - dont use it, and leave it to those who needs.