Very strong Vanguard dps hybrid

Hirokinae

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a BH Powertech and have similar build when i DPS with some point's different but nothing major.

Playing around with the the Assault an Shield trees made me respec and PvP with a totally different build, but similar sustained dmg in PvP, just more mobile + CC and tanky.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMhrkMboMZZfhbbdh.1

you only need 18 point's in the Assault tree to get somewhat 80% of the dmg advantage the whole tree has ... so you can further push the dmg or in PvP case i just wanted to be longer alive and mobile. And it's not like you will not feel the 30% more crit/crit dmg from the Tank tree and it's Stock Strike reset, which can reset your HIB, makes some good w t f moments on enemy faces if you get lucky ;)

@ Hirokinae: Just to make sure you are using plasma cell. correct ?

I got drafted to go dps for our guild in nightmare modes. I normally tank but there are currently to many tanks in the guild. I was wondering if you could give me a priority list to go by or a make sure to do list, I know you said the spec is rather ammo intensive.

@ Bolvar: I am going to give your spec a try for pvp. Are you running ion cell? Also your you using dps or tank gear in this spec.

Edited by Reteric
Forgot to ask question:

I play a BH Powertech and have similar build when i DPS with some point's different but nothing major.

Playing around with the the Assault an Shield trees made me respec and PvP with a totally different build, but similar sustained dmg in PvP, just more mobile + CC and tanky.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMhrkMboMZZfhbbdh.1

you only need 18 point's in the Assault tree to get somewhat 80% of the dmg advantage the whole tree has ... so you can further push the dmg or in PvP case i just wanted to be longer alive and mobile. And it's not like you will not feel the 30% more crit/crit dmg from the Tank tree and it's Stock Strike reset, which can reset your HIB, makes some good w t f moments on enemy faces if you get lucky ;)

I'd like to point out that this spec is mostly a PVP spec, and this is NOT a pvp spec thread. The spec i have listed is purely raid dps, and with your spec you lose ALOT of damage, and trade it for survivability, which like i have stated earlier is great for pvp, but abysmal for pve. You are losing 6 MAJOR damage talents and trading them for pvp survivability which you do not need as a raid dps.

*i've edited my main post to include stance and a basic priority list

@Reteric it's used with the Plasma Cell, you need it for your dmg, your rotation is 1:1 to the PvE version, you lose armor sure but you gain a lot of dmg.

HIB>Incendiary DoT>Stockstrike>Ion Pulse>Hammershot

@Hirokinae I said that I use a similar spec to yours for dps the only change I have are two points in PvE, I posted my PvP build only to point out that 80% of the major dmg talent's are in the first 1/2 of the tree and that you can mix it up a lot while not losing so much dmg for other gains, I have some crazy off tank specs in mind for Ops.

@Reteric it's used with the Plasma Cell, you need it for your dmg, your rotation is 1:1 to the PvE version, you lose armor sure but you gain a lot of dmg.

HIB>Incendiary DoT>Stockstrike>Ion Pulse>Hammershot

@Hirokinae I said that I use a similar spec to yours for dps the only change I have are two points in PvE, I posted my PvP build only to point out that 80% of the major dmg talent's are in the first 1/2 of the tree and that you can mix it up a lot while not losing so much dmg for other gains, I have some crazy off tank specs in mind for Ops.

I see. thanks for the input, and for pvp variations of your spec are defintely viable, and are actually what I would choose if i were to pvp. However I just wanted to keep this a mostly pve raiding spec thread. =)

I used your spec last night in nightmare mode Eternity Vault and I think I did alright seeing we cleared it except for last boss. I think I need to get some better gear seeing that I only did it once before on 16 man normal so I do not have the best gear yet. We went on to do Karagga's palace and got the fourth boss down before we quit for the night. I was wondering about the numbers you are seeing while dpsing or how you are judging that you are doing a good job. I understand that some people say bosses are dying so do not worry about it, but I do not like to be carried also.

I use MOSTLY the 4th council boss in EV as a rough indicator of where my dps is. Its actually not too bad seeing as how all of the dps are attacking the same exact mob with the same health. I also tend to pull aggro more than most other classes even without them using threat drops. We only run 1 tank, and he guards our sentinel because we "plan" on me pulling aggro most of the time for bosses such as the annihilator droid when he sweeps, or when soa mind traps the tank (which he apparently does all the time now). In pvp my damage usually hovers around 400-500k although this is probably the worst indicator. It still is SOMETHING. Its very hard to tell right now, but i'd say the council boss in EV is probably your best bet.

@ Reteric

Im sure that the fact you are here reading this thread and trying to find ways to optimize

your dps already means you are not getting carried. People who are carried do not care about such minor things as 'best spec' and Theory crafting. Surely you understand that they have a life :p

(just to be clear im not trolling you im anti carried people)

Edited by Malrion

So I leveled to 50 as shield spec, and have spent zero time in a vanguard DPS tree... I currently have a pretty good (Rakata and Columi) tank set now, and I'm looking to start spending my extra Columi badges on a DPS set... Looking at the Trooper vendor, I can't distinguish between the "Eliminator" set and the "Combat Tech" set... I'm assuming one is designed for Commando DPS, and the other for Vanguard DPS... but which is which??? (and maybe a brief *why* would be helpful as well :)) Thanks so much in advance...

PS - Great guide overall... I look forward to trying it out once I actually get some more dps gear!

@irndizzle

Generally, Eliminator's is geared towards commandos, while Combat tech caters to vanguards, and the only difference really is the 4piece set bonus. When you combine all 5 combat tech/eliminator's stats together, they come out exactly the same.

PVE (tionese, columi, rakata):

2 piece---

Combat Tech: Reduces cooldown of Battle Focus by 15 seconds

Eliminator: Increases crit chance of Charged Bolts and Grav Round by 15%

4 piece---

Combat Tech: Increases damage of High Impact bolt by 8%

Eliminator: Decreases cost of High Impact Bolt by 1 Ammo

essentially, the combat tech 2 piece is absolute garbage, because it completely messes up lineing your cooldown with your relic, while the 4 piece is the best thing we have.

Edited by Hirokinae

Wow I have no idea why spaced that, but I didn't even think to look at the set bonuses... Sigh, my bad. But yes, that makes perfect sense, thank you for the reply!

Bioware screwed up and made it so that you c ouldn't see set bonuses unless you actually had the item in your inventory before 1.1. AFter the patch however, they fixed that. That could be it

Edited by Hirokinae

Thanks to the OP I was very upset with myself for choosing to go Vanguard DPS. I still don't think we do the "hard numbers" of a Gunnery Trooper. With this spec I have been able to stay even with the other DPS classes so far in our Ops. We've cleared both instances on Normal and start HM this week.

AGAIN THANKS!

I still think Vanguard DPS needs a buff to be "on par" with the Gunnery Tree but we won't be able know for sure until we get combat logs/dps meters.

Thanks to the OP I was very upset with myself for choosing to go Vanguard DPS. I still don't think we do the "hard numbers" of a Gunnery Trooper. With this spec I have been able to stay even with the other DPS classes so far in our Ops. We've cleared both instances on Normal and start HM this week.

AGAIN THANKS!

I still think Vanguard DPS needs a buff to be "on par" with the Gunnery Tree but we won't be able know for sure until we get combat logs/dps meters.

I think our raw numbers when comparing tactics to gunnery are a little skewed in the favor of gunnery. Although its hard to tell for sure, there is a lot of consensus saying that tactics, which i believe should be comparable to gunnery as a PVE spec, feels rather weak. This is why people have been coming up with random hybrid specs to try to combat this, and I am glad to be of help! Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. My next project, is to take a record of my numbers on an actual mob. (yes, sit there n try to record values by hand) while i compare a HIB and ion pulse rotation in my spec, vs a pure assault with assault plastique.

Edited by Hirokinae

OP:

Thanks, I have been using this spec for about a week now, and noticed the difference from my Tactics build. Only thing is, like you stated, this spec is not for the week hearted, be mind full of your ammo and watch for HiB procs, if you do that and play smart this is a very good spec and I really enjoy playing.

Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.