Hoth, nobody seems effected by the cold

UncleTom

So everybody on Hoth just wears the same jackets they wore on Tatooine and every other planet? I guess there's no need for big warm jackets like in Ep V when 3,000 years earlier they had super-magic jackets that had mega-thermal insulation.

Or am I just nitpicking?

I dunno about you... but my BH was actually issued thermal underwear before he stepped out onto the planet.

I received a stimulant to resist cold, but haven't needed to use it. My real complaint is aesthetics. Nobody is dressed any differently than any other planet. Yet everyone is talking about how cold it is here.

I noticed this too as a Trooper. I see Republic soldiers in a Scout Trooper helmet and a kama. On the Star Wars version of Pluto. Non sequitur

The armor the republic troopers are wear IS the cold weather gear. If you looked, you'd see its different than the armor they wear on every other planet.

Just because it looks like the scout armor from episode 6 does not mean that's what it is in this timeline.

this was kind of jarring for me too, walking into a base and seeing all the officers wearing slacks and dress hats. it would have been cool to see the NPCs in cold-weather gear like the HAZMAT soldiers on Quesh (where NPCs also have gas masks)

Man, you think that's bad? At least my Juggernaut is running around in full body armor. Meanwhile, here's Jaesa Willsaam trudging along in an arctic wasteland in a dress with an exposed midriff and bare arms with nothing but a hood covering her head wondering aloud how she can't wait to find out whether spilled blood freezes before it hits the ice. Edited by DarthMoord

The armor the republic troopers are wear IS the cold weather gear. If you looked, you'd see its different than the armor they wear on every other planet.

Just because it looks like the scout armor from episode 6 does not mean that's what it is in this timeline.

Armor must logically follow a pattern based on form and function.

For extreme cold weather, armor would necessarily require much insulation and heating systems (as in spacesuits), and would thereby be bulky.

Armor must logically follow a pattern based on form and function.

For extreme cold weather, armor would necessarily require much insulation and heating systems (as in spacesuits), and would thereby be bulky.

Would they?

The black sleeve present in a lot of the Trooper armor is a thermal insulation layer. In addition to keeping heat in, it keeps it out as well. It also functions as limited blaster and kinetic dispersion/dampening (the real work is supposed to be done by the armored plates, but the sleeve itself does help a little).

A full suit (with the outer casing and all, plus helmet) also offers limited resistance against biological and chemical agents (no substitute for an actual environ suit, but it can buy you some time). Mostly due in part that a lot of armor throughout Republic history has been, for dedicated combat units, fully powered (hence the backpack) and actually did have air filtration and limited heating elements (the latter dispersed through the black sleeve).

It's likely to consider that they would be able to issue lighter armor or sealed suits specifically for cold-weather survival (or just a thermal shield - the Old Republic era had far better personal shielding available then later eras, mostly due to lost technology, similar to stealth tech) that wouldn't necessarily be all that bulky.

Spacesuits, on the other hand, require a lot more consideration (pressurization, air recycling, and so on) beyond just thermal insulation. :U

I mean, look at what the Rebel troopers were wearing as combat gear on Hoth in Episode 4. That wasn't exactly all that bulky (no more bulky then Russian infantry uniforms in WWII anyway, which I'm sure lead at least some inspiration).

EDIT: Speaking of Hoth, the biggest addition to the Stormtrooper armor for 'Snow Troopers' was, in addition to a better heating unit (bigger backpack), just a wind cloak. It was otherwise just the standard Stormtrooper armor.

Edited by Foxfirega

In Jedi Academy your character would receive a special outfit for the Hoth mission, that said, in the end it is up to the individual gamer to equip more... Hoth appropriate stuff while on Hoth.

You can't really force people to equip the thickest pieces of gear they have while on Hoth. Inversely you can't force people to put on a hood or hat while on Tatooine to avoid double sunburn.

In Jedi Academy your character would receive a special outfit for the Hoth mission, that said, in the end it is up to the individual gamer to equip more... Hoth appropriate stuff while on Hoth.

You can't really force people to equip the thickest pieces of gear they have while on Hoth. Inversely you can't force people to put on a hood or hat while on Tatooine to avoid double sunburn.

Not really sure how you meant what you said, but you most definietly could force players to do changes. However the average gamer today would be outraged at the horrors of having to use a wintercoat on an iceworld.

You know what always bothered me?

On Hoth, Luke goes missing, so, Han goes to look for him. He's warned that his Tauntaun will freeze before the first marker.

Now, how come, a tauntaun, native to the icy planet freezes to death, but Han, in a jacket and hat, seems to be fine?

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly the devs opted to not have a "back" slot. Else it would have been easy to equip jackets or cold weather gear without affecting one's armor. I personally prefer more realism on any of the planets. Robes for Tatooine, some sort of gear for the poisons on Quesh, and definitely something heavy duty for Hoth.

I had myself sort of worked up at the thought that possibly I would have to be extra cautious on Hoth for myself and my companions (I wasn't holding my breath for it since I was just on Quesh without even a gas mask or eye protection). After having Quinn sob about not wanting to be cold, finding there were no real penalties for exposure was a bit of a let down.

So everybody on Hoth just wears the same jackets they wore on Tatooine and every other planet? I guess there's no need for big warm jackets like in Ep V when 3,000 years earlier they had super-magic jackets that had mega-thermal insulation.

Or am I just nitpicking?

Tbh i didnt feel to cold on Hoth, it must of been global warming

Not really sure how you meant what you said, but you most definietly could force players to do changes. However the average gamer today would be outraged at the horrors of having to use a wintercoat on an iceworld.

I dunno. I'd be fine with forced costume changes in certain areas of the gameworld.

I kind of liked KOTOR's space suit sections.