The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

3 medals for 524k healing ~~ nice medal system BW

Jooji

Yup, every game after I get the 300k healing medal I have to end up going off on my own popping adrenals and relics like mad just to get the 75k damage and possible 5k hit (if it's on a low level). The medal system is definitely terrible, you play selfishly and get medals. Nice.

This the same for a dps, I get my 300k damage, and all the kill/hit medals usually get the med pack medals, then i try and run around getting defender and heal medals rather then caring for anything else:eek:

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why just about every MMO likes to screw over pvp healers, but I really wish it would change!

I don't know; I wish healers got the most medals. That would certainly change things. Though to be honest, the entire medal system needs an overhaul.

Just stopping in to voice my support for this thread. For reasons already stated in the first few pages a healer playing in his specced role (healing/support) receives inferior rewards to both DPS and Tank spec players. Please change it. Thank you.

Im sure it wouldnt be hard to snipe a single killing blow during a match either. A solo kill might even be possible.

Exactly, a good example is if I want to fluff my numbers for medals if its a for sure loss.

Take Civil War...

If we are 100 and they are 300+ I wont protect the node (I am generally the one that secures left solo) and go for solo kills, final blow, and fluff my DPS numbers a bit.

As for MVP. I generally get 3-5 votes. I think the more people realize the impact of a healer, and a good one at that, they respect our work and vote us.

The flaw with this about MVP's is that most don't bother with voting or vote for their friends.

And I see alot of players that vote for protection done. Sure tanks deserve MVP's aswell, but that+200% medals just gives them 30+ commendations more than us, fact!

I agree, but as more people realize the importance of the healers, it will get better.

I am still trying to figure out how someone did 524k heals and only got 3 medals. They did 0 damage? They didn't defend a node / door?

I get defender medals easily on Civil War AND Voidstar. Not so much in Huttball, but still, it is all good.

On a side note, I am 1 of like 3 regular healers on my server. :)

That's the reward for playing objectively in huttball as a healer^^^

So while I keep the tanks up who get 100+ commendations per game I'm lucky to get 60-70...

When is this going to be fixed? The fact the medals hasn't been fixed yet is pathetic BW.

Until they fix the bug that lets healers "hurt" themselves in the corner of the map and heal themselves back up. I think it's just fine.

Guild Wars 2 is going to be interesting for many reasons. But it's not out yet, and SWTOR is. So hey, Bioware, how about giving the poor healers a break?

Point is there will be no green spammers in GW2 ... And in TOR you get rewarded for playing dps, or hybrids of dps/tank, dps/healer ... that's something to be happy about, game encourages you not to be a healbot, but to take on a more pro active role.

If you really want to just spam heals 24/7 ... that's PvE gameplay.

Point is there will be no green spammers in GW2 ... And in TOR you get rewarded for playing dps, or hybrids of dps/tank, dps/healer ... that's something to be happy about, game encourages you not to be a healbot, but to take on a more pro active role.

Any dedicated healer wont be able to dish out 75k/300k damage, and they dont award any medals for CC/objectives so..pointless point ;)

As a fully Sawbones specced Smuggler, my primary job in Warzones is healing for sure. However, it is almost always necessary for me to help the team by dotting/AOEing enemies who are trying to capture objectives. In doing so, I generally end up with good healing/respectable damage numbers and 7 or 8 medals.

In most cases, at least in the Warzones as they are currently designed, if you are healing for 500k and only getting 3 medals, you are likely overhealing and not doing everything you can to help your team win.

That said, more healing medals would be welcome, but honestly commendations are nearly worthless anyway. I get 1 bag for winning 3 Warzones, or 1 bag for accumulating a zillion commendations. The system is set up to encourage team play and winning over individual medal gathering by a mile.

I could be wrong, but there will probably still be room in GW2 pvp for people who primarily heal their teammates. Even though every class will be able to do all three roles, sometimes it's just more efficient to have one person heal while others dps and cc.

And either way, sometimes knowing when to switch to heals depending on your team composition can turn a loss into a win. I just don't see why pure healers aren't rewarded the same as pure dps.

It reward you for doing multiple things and if you focus on one task you get little. Problem is healers can only do healing because that's what they do best. what you can do is hit everyone with something so when they die you get kill credit. Aoe works best if you got one.

I know there is one on one award, kill number award, damage done in single attack and total damage done, healing done, guarded damgae, objective, staying alive killing without dying.

If you do a lot and focus on these in mind, you can get a lot of medals. I average from lowest 6 to 12 depend on the match. Being a guardian, I always start the fight guarding the guy being attacked, and easitly get 3-4 just doing that. Then I switch dps and just kill people defend or attacking objectives. Easily 6-8, some crazy matches, I've goettn as many as 12.

Medal system at this current point is fudged up and needs to be looked at.

"Hey lets not score the ball, just hog it and play the passing game to level up our objective points etc..."

Should be rewarded for more important things such as scoring/capping.

You're clearly not a PvP healer. I don't want to knock on the serious raiders here but PvE healing gets really boring once you learn the mechanics of a fight. Once you do it's just a matter of executing your skills properly. PvP healing is fun because it's unpredictable, important, and not easy. You're playing against real people so you don't know what they're going to do and keeping everyone up in a dynamic, changing environment is fun. It's not just standing around spamming heals, a good healer has a million different things he's paying attention to and doing at any one time, whereas a dpser can get away with tunnel vision dpsing that one guy he's on and no one else would notice or care.

Edited by Leiloni

In most cases, at least in the Warzones as they are currently designed, if you are healing for 500k and only getting 3 medals, you are likely overhealing and not doing everything you can to help your team win.

That said, more healing medals would be welcome, but honestly commendations are nearly worthless anyway. I get 1 bag for winning 3 Warzones, or 1 bag for accumulating a zillion commendations. The system is set up to encourage team play and winning over individual medal gathering by a mile.

Overhealing doesn't count in the healing numbers. If people take damage I heal. If they don't take damage I dps. But if they aren't taking damage I won't get my healing medals anyway so it's moot.

The system doesn't encourage team play by healers. At least not if we want as many commendations as our tanks/dps.

I could be wrong, but there will probably still be room in GW2 pvp for people who primarily heal their teammates. Even though every class will be able to do all three roles, sometimes it's just more efficient to have one person heal while others dps and cc.

And either way, sometimes knowing when to switch to heals depending on your team composition can turn a loss into a win. I just don't see why pure healers aren't rewarded the same as pure dps.

From what I have seen you can't just heal, because you don't have heals that can be cast every gcd ... if you will just heal, you will spend half the time afking.

Any dedicated healer wont be able to dish out 75k/300k damage, and they dont award any medals for CC/objectives so..pointless point ;)

Dedicated healer no ... that's the point. Healer/dps hybrid aka support can.

It reward you for doing multiple things and if you focus on one task you get little. Problem is healers can only do healing because that's what they do best.

That's really not true. No, I can't do as much DPS as a DPS specced character, but very often I have affected the outcome of the match by dotting an enemy trying to plant a bomb or capturing an objective with vital shot, tossing a grenade at a group of reds huddled at a voidstar door, or if I have 3 seconds, calling in an airstike against a huge group fighting in a small area.

I did a lot of Google searching before I posted this and the one and only quote directly from a Dev that I could find regarding PvP healing is the below and it's pointless. We know why they put the trauma debuff in. Useless quote below.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=789496#edit789496

"That's pretty much it. The trauma debuff is used to offset PvP and PvE group balance involving healers against on the PvE balance numbers numbers. We could also just change the numbers (health, damage) in the rest of the game to achieve the same effect, but that'd be much less efficient." - Georg Zoeller

Questions:

Why do they think the debuff is fair, works, and makes any sense at all? What do they think of the PvP medal system in regards to healers? Do they have any plans to fix both of these broken mechanics for PvP healers? These are the questions I need answered by a Dev. There has been far too much discussion on the topic of PvP healing over the past few months with no word from a Dev on the topic aside from the above post.

Edited by Leiloni

You're clearly not a PvP healer. I don't want to knock on the serious raiders here but PvE healing gets really boring once you learn the mechanics of a fight. Once you do it's just a matter of executing your skills properly. PvP healing is fun because it's unpredictable, important, and not easy. You're playing against real people so you don't know what they're going to do and keeping everyone up in a dynamic, changing environment is fun. It's not just standing around spamming heals, a good healer has a million different things he's paying attention to and doing at any one time, whereas a dpser can get away with tunnel vision dpsing that one guy he's on and no one else would notice or care.

I agree with the tunnel vision ... that's why healbotting in warzones is bad. Dps can play stupid but thx to babysitter in the back he gets away with it. Not to mention all the balance issues with pug healing vs premade healing, not limiting number of heals per pug etc etc ... I am not saying pvp healing is not fun for you. I am saying in this form it's not right for pvp.

And if you like challenge ... playing proper hybrid is much harder than just healing.

From what I have seen you can't just heal, because you don't have heals that can be cast every gcd ... if you will just heal, you will spend half the time afking.

Dedicated healer no ... that's the point. Healer/dps hybrid aka support can.

That is going to annoy some healers for sure, then. I'm the kind of player who likes doing a bit of everything, so I don't mind.

I still don't get why a pure healer should be rewarded less than a pure dps in SWTOR pvp, though.

Edited by maradigamer

I apologize for not reading all the other posts...I went through the first 4 pages and decided to throw my two-cents in (my opinion).

You answered your own question...you shouldnt have to throw some damage around to earn some healing medals...and you don't. However, should you want to earn more medals...than you will have to.

As DPS, I shouldnt have to worry about taunting enemy players every 15 seconds as I just want to deal damage and work on objectives. After all, it's not free for me to do so as it takes resources and time away from my DPS. However, doing so helps the team and helps me...so I would do it even if there were no medals. The thing is...medals arent a given right just because you do one role really well...they are earned. If you do things outside of your normal role, you will be rewarded as such actions are usually helping your team even more. Think of it as "going above and beyond".

I'm not sure you've effectively put yourself in a healers shoes here like you might think.

Tossing out taunt for you is a one button click *on your current target* and guard is a fire and forget once per scrum

For a healer to grab these extra medals they have to pretty much stop performing their role and start performing in a completely different way, targeting enemy after enemy, ignoring their *real* targets (teammates)

Imagine if, while dpsing, you had to completely ignore your enemies and had to click on all your nearby teammates and use a global cool down before you got back to healing ?

That's what it's like to chase medals as a healer

Don't even talk about heal medals for dps. If biochem gave a healer only medal every warzone just for clicking a button people would be up in arms

Bottom line, medals come easy as dps because they pretty much happen automatically without any extra effort. Not so for healers.

Oh, I play dps, for what it's worth

Overhealing doesn't count in the healing numbers. If people take damage I heal. If they don't take damage I dps. But if they aren't taking damage I won't get my healing medals anyway so it's moot.

The system doesn't encourage team play by healers. At least not if we want as many commendations as our tanks/dps.

I didn't mean overhealing as in healing people who are fully healed, I mean healing someone who is at 75% and not currently taking damage when there is an enemy right in front of you planting a bomb.

As far as the system not encouraging team play by healers? I have to disagree with that. The reward system places VASTLY more importance on winning a match that it does commendations. So much so that I almost never even notice how many commendations I get. Winning 3 matches a day is worth 10 bags a week, commendations maybe 1 or 2 more.