Lightsaber colors.. just a choice?

JCommando

I'm not really sure anymore. At first I thought it was determined by rank since all apprentices used blue and masters used green.. the one exception being mace windu using purple but only because Jackson asked for it.

I'm just guessing in The Old Republic its a personal preference?? Is there anything establishing this officially?

Edited by JCommando

I'm not sure but in the original KOTOR which is part canon the colors were loosely tied to different orders within the Jedi Order. Blue was guardians, yellow sentinels, and green consulars. Red was reserved for the sith. Purple tended to also be sith but not as strongly as red. Other more exotic crystals (white, silver, orange, cyan) tended to be individual preferences.

In KoTOR, the Jedi had three sub-classes. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've played it, I'm not sure of the titles. I think one was Sentinel, one was Guardian, and I don't remember the third. Each had their own color (blue, green, and yellow, but, again, I don't remember which color went with each class), though you could still change the colors if you wanted to.

It's purely personal preference.

The Sith had a *tradition* of using only red crystals, but it's just a tradition. There were Sith who used blue, green, other colors.

In KotOR 2, you could say what color your now-lost lightsaber was, and the full range of colors were available, including silver, cyan, and a shade of metallic green named veridian.

Bioware's enforcement of the ridiculous "Sith can't use green or blue, Jedi can't use red" rule goes against previously established precedent.

The color's of the lightsaber still apply. Guardians/knights utilize blue, Consulars green etc. However, certain crystals were granted to exceptional Jedi.

The Sith don't follow such a system as well.. they aren't jedi. They traditionally utilize Red as it is resemblant of passion - with Red being a very powerful color.

• 3 weeks later...

It is just a choice. That Master = Green and Apprentice = Blue never was fact. Pure conjecture when they saw the first pictures of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the late 90s before TPM came out.

There should be ZERO restriction on lightsaber color. We have Sith (Anakin/Vader and Exar Kun) using blue and Jedi using red (Adi Gallia and Leia Organa Solo to name two).

The lore, developed through hundreds of EU novels, says it is a cosmetic choice. Period.

Now in the framework of the KotOR game there are traditions: Guardians blue, Consulars green, Sentinels yellow. That was only a martial tradition and you are told in the next sentence that you can use any color you want.

The Sith traditionally use red, NOT because red=anger/passion, but because they synthesized their crystals and this produced red crystals (source: Darth Maul novel).

Movie cannon: In Ep4 Lucas gave Luke/Ben blue and Vader red so you could clearly identify good/evil. This isn't "lore" but a movie crutch for dumb or young audiences. :) In Ep5 it continued established lightsabers. In Ep6 it was PURELY a movie design choice to give Luke green so that you could see it on Tatooine due to the sky being so blue.

The prequels changed things a bit and we see tons of Jedi using green/blue but the Sith still use red (again, due to their synthesis creation techniques). Sam Jackson was given a purple lightsaber because HE wanted it. Not because Mace was... semi-dark or some other dumb stuff.

In between Ep4 and the prequels, there are a couple hundred novels that establish anyone can use any color. Purple was around before Mace Windu. Jedi used red. There were a few others (such as shade differences like cyan and viridian (lt green) but also silver and bronze, and orange).

I'm not really sure anymore. At first I thought it was determined by rank since all apprentices used blue and masters used green.

Not true.

Obi-Wan as of RotS is a Jedi Master (he must be, he's on the Jedi Council) and is using blue.

Ki-Adi-Mundi, also on the Council, seen using blue lightsaber in AotC and RotS (and green in one oops scene, and purple in some comics.)

Plo Koon, Council Member, uses blue (also yellow, orange, and green in various other sources. Maybe different lighsabers, different crystals, or simple canon conflict.)

Aayla Secura, Jedi Knight, using a blue lightsaber.

Depa Billaba again wields a wide array of colors in various sources, including scarlet, pink, green, and blue.

Sar Labooda, who replaced Depa Bilaba between TPM and AotC, uses green.

Bultar Swan, Jedi Knight, Green.

Adi Gallia, crimson, orange, and blue.

Stass Allie, green.

Anakin Skywalker, using blue as a padawan, Knight, and Sith Lord, and a borrowed green saber as a padawan.

Rank hath naught to do with it.

Edited by ErikModi

Some colors have a strong tradition behind them (blue/green/yellow/red), but for the most part a lot of it was just personal choice.

A lot of that was also done away with post-RotJ, where the availability of decent and non-synthesized crystals were rare. New Jedi Order members were encouraged to find one that meant something to them, to build as personal a connection with their lightsabers as possible.

I imagine with the wealth of crystals available in the Old Republic era, similar values would hold sway. You could go along with tradition, or you can do something that means something to you.

I can't remember the source, but I heard that the reason that the Sith used red crystals was that they were forced to use synthetic (which they created). The Jedi had natural color crystals that they harvested. I think this was from some of the Tales of the Jedi comic books.

The Sith traditionally use red, NOT because red=anger/passion, but because they synthesized their crystals and this produced red crystals (source: Darth Maul novel).

You're going to have to give me a quote. Every source I've read states Sith use red because of it's association with anger and bloodshed. Additionally Lukes green lightsaber crystal was also synthetic and according to the novelizations I've read the method of manufacture Luke used is far less advanced than those that the Sith have created as the Sith were in hiding for two thousand years and didn't have easy access to lightsaber crystals.

According to some of the Dark Horse Comics Mace's Purple crystal was given to him by a Sentient Crystalline Species after something happened during his trials. I'm not sure which comic I saw that in but there's what I know about it. The synthesizing process doesn't always produce red crystals as Luke created the Green Saber in a Synthesizer Furnace according to the books.

Ok here is the ACTUAL reason for lightsaber colours.

Originally there were 2. Blue for the good guys and red for the bad. George Lucas wanted to keep it simple.

However, then he made ROTJ. with the blue sky of Taatooine, it made it difficult to discern Luke's new shiny blue lightsaber. So it became green. That simple. (Remember this was 1982 - not having the tech we have for cinema today.)

Then people made up a bunch of lore to explain what was simply a directorial/creative decision for ROTJ

In other words there is no reason for colour of lightsaber.

Edited by hobofett

In prequel movies, the only rules were that jedi will have blue or green and sith will have red. There was no significance between who gets blue or green. In most cases the actors of the jedi characters had a chance to choose which color they would have. Mace Windu had a purple saber because the actor Samuel L Jackson had asked from George Lucas if he could have purple lightsaber because that was his favorite color, so eventually George Lucas agreed to make an exception to the blue or green rule for him. This is revealed in the extra materials on the aotc dvd.

I'm not really sure anymore. At first I thought it was determined by rank since all apprentices used blue and masters used green.. the one exception being mace windu using purple but only because Jackson asked for it.

I'm just guessing in The Old Republic its a personal preference?? Is there anything establishing this officially?

Green doesn't mean you are a master and blue dosn't mean you are an apprentice. Blue usually means you are a guardian, and green means you are a consular though many jedi choose the color thay prefere.