when exactly does the empire become english?

Siyko

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be more appropriate for the Empires accents to mimic those of the most Imperialistic country in the world today, America.

It does get some what tedious that the English accent seems to be Hollywood and this games byward for evil person.

Since the days of Peter Cushing no one could do English for the Empire better.

What made me laugh was to hear the voice of Corinne Kempa (Leiliana from Dragon Age) as my player characters voice in The Old Republic. Certainly sounds like her any way.

Wonder if Jennifer Hale was in this game too. She's a Bioware regular.

So I guess the guy that played ghost Obi-Wan in EP 5 and 6 was his twin brother? On his profile it said that he was in all 3 movies. Last I checked, if you hate something you usually don't continue to work with it.

He did hate it. hence the entire 4 mins of screen time in empire and jedi. Lucas begged him to stay.

Look up "Star Wars Trilogy - Eddie Izzard" on YouTube. He's got a hilarious take on this whole subject.

As far as accents are concerned, early on in the Agent quest line you're told to assume a mercenary identity and to 'lose the Imperial accent' while doing so. You sound a lot more American while doing your Merc act in public, but then switch back to Imperial/English accent during private conversations.

Well, going back to the original films, the Empire's uniforms and the name "stormtrooper" have Nazi German influences, but giving the characters a German accent would have been over the top. Going British gave the analogy with another empire and didn't single out the Germans any more than had already been done.

Believe it or not, we are over the whole Stamp Act thing and have moved on. I imagine it's more that Britain actually HAD an empire, so the accent was used. Own your history with pride, Brits. It's certainly worthy of it. Don't push Lucas' use of the comparison off on the "spiteful colonials."

;)

just a little fyi...Stormtrooper, was a name used, in World War I, by the Germans referring to the Canadian Expeditionary Force. The Germans went so far as call them "storm troopers."

:)

Because all the actors in Star Wars were English, and because it provides a decent audible que. When I watch Rome, do I complain, when did the Romans become English, no, I realize that used a lot of English actors as Romans to have the audible continuity. Same here.

Yup, a majority of the original trilogy were filmed in England (especially soundstage stuff) and used local talent. And as someone mentioned previously, the current Sith Imperials seem to be a tip of the hat to this.

Edited by DNA_Cowboy

Since the days of Peter Cushing no one could do English for the Empire better.

What made me laugh was to hear the voice of Corinne Kempa (Leiliana from Dragon Age) as my player characters voice in The Old Republic. Certainly sounds like her any way.

Wonder if Jennifer Hale was in this game too. She's a Bioware regular.

Jennifer Hale is the Female trooper?

Who does Corinne Kempa voice? Not heard that yet.

just a little fyi...Stormtrooper, was a name used, in World War I, by the Germans referring to the Canadian Expeditionary Force. The Germans went so far as call them "storm troopers."

:)

The common path of a thread like this is finally complete.

We have Americans saying they saved England in WWII.

We have English giving the Russians all the credit for winning WWII.

And finally, the Canadians waving their arms around just trying to get noticed between the bickering.

The common path of a thread like this is finally complete.

We have Americans saying they saved England in WWII.

We have English giving the Russians all the credit for winning WWII.

And finally, the Canadians waving their arms around just trying to get noticed between the bickering.

I lol'd +1 Internets to you :)

I think the english accents for the Empire sound attractive! I prefer the voice work done on the Empire side. Most of the republic's accents just get annoying. I was getting annoyed by my female smuggler's accent, but love the accent on my IA. Also, Vector sounds attractive even though he is a bug boy.

There is a very simple explanation that no one has brought up yet...

in the OT (all three movies), All the sets were built on sound stages in England, so most if not all the extras were British and therefore have that accent. Even the actor who played Darth Vader - David Prowse is British. James Earl Jones did the voice over for Vader only because after listening to the content, Lucas felt that Prowse's voice was not imposing enough.

So with that in mind, for the sake of consistency most imperial voices in the PT and games and TV shows now have English/British accents.

YES!! Lol