Fix For Ability Delay (Works for me want others to test)

Frostyyyyy

For some odd reason after logging into the game today my preferences were reset. While going through the preferences I noticed an option that I had not seen the first time entitled "Ability Action Queue Window". This option is located under "Controls" at the very bottom under "Combat". Mine was set at '0.5' so I believe that this is the default setting. After setting this to '0.0' I feel that I have little to no ability delay (Note: this is about actual game ability delay not FPS or Latency affected ability delay). After changing this setting I now feel more in control of my character and my abilities like in other MMO's. If you happen to see this please leave a response on whether or not it helped as I have seen many complaints on ability delay in the game. Thanks!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually refer to "ability delay" as the effect that regularly causes a massive one-, two-, or even more-second gap between

- hitting the hotkey for the ability

- having the ability actually occur

The ability queue really shouldn't have an effect on that.

I suppose the question is, is it worth preventing the ability delay for those who suffered from it very mildly in favor of not having an ability queue? (This is a useful feature in many situations)

I will try it though

Edited by Aurinax

That option is for the delay to queue an ability.

Example:

0 - Click the ability twice and there is no delay between command in the queue.

0.5 - There is a 0.5 second delay in the queue for the next ability.

Even at 0 there is delay and the combat system feels a bit sluggish. It's how the game was designed. Sounds confusing but that's the truth. There are also times where the ability get's cancelled for no reason. Again, it's how the game was designed. That option you speak of fixes nothing.

the ability delay i know of is say a ability is listed as a 2.5 sec cast- you click on the ability and you see the little timer countdown from 2.5 seconds- then the ability should go off immediately- this is beneficial for healers.

What happens though is after the 2.5 second cast timer goes away- the character does his animation which can take 2-3 seconds more then you see the heal lands oin the person- the same goes for damage ability- once the timer goes- the character does his animation which adds another 2-3 seconds on top then you see the damage been done to the mob.

that is the ability delay i am talking about NOT the ability queue which allows you to click on another ability while the GCD is still on cool-down.

Edited by Vialator

that's not delay. that's normal animation

It's the delay. In WoW you can clip a cast when it the cast bar his your latency (the addon is Quartz) and the animation will clip, stop, and your cast will go off. In SWTOR you cannot finish a cast until the animation has finished. It's delay.

It's the delay. In WoW you can clip a cast when it the cast bar his your latency (the addon is Quartz) and the animation will clip, stop, and your cast will go off. In SWTOR you cannot finish a cast until the animation has finished. It's delay.

it is not delay. the brief animation does not hinder other abilities. you don't have to wait until the animation finishes to use other skills.

it is not delay. the brief animation does not hinder other abilities. you don't have to wait until the animation finishes to use other skills.

You do. In SWTOR you can't use 4-5 instant abilities, all of GCD, at once. That's another form of ability delay. If macros existed the problem would be gleaming to everyone - not just the players who are good.

Also if you noticed, damage on some abilities are instant. Regardless if there's an animation going on, once the ability is used the damage is hit and then the animation begins.

Damage on NONE of Bounty Hunter's missiles are instant, even if the ability is instant.

The animation of the missile flying through the air and hitting the target has to complete before damage is applied.

This is especially prominent with companion Blizz's missile that moves like a snail.

Edited by PowerElectronic

You do. In SWTOR you can't use 4-5 instant abilities, all of GCD, at once. That's another form of ability delay. If macros existed the problem would be gleaming to everyone - not just the players who are good.

holy ****, dude. learn how to interpret the combat system

here's a video that shows the animation does not hinder subsequent abilities

Yes, this confirms that you can cast Underworld Medicine repeatedly with no delay while standing still.

They still have to fix a bunch of other abilities.

....Your own video shows it. Your last heal the casting bar finished, but you still took a second before shooting your gun after it, even though you were spamming the button because the animation was finishing.

when i was on earlier today (and not been able to get on since then, hence the reply here)...

one of the Hints between Space Battles was that Alacrity speeds up casting/activation times. so, the 0.5 delay from the start and upping that asset, ie: focus, endurance, presence, etc... moves you from a basic toon more towards an advanced one.

mind you i'm spelling Alacrity wrong but i can't get into the game to check it's spelling. go figure. hope someone hasn't posted the same thing

....Your own video shows it. Your last heal the casting bar finished, but you still took a second before shooting your gun after it, even though you were spamming the button because the animation was finishing.

uh no. flurry of bolts fired as soon as the casting bar finished. it looks like there's a day because underworld medicine's casting time exceeds the global cooldown.