Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

My Main is a Level 44 Marauder. I see no delay.

Klarick if you want to see the issue go outdoors and click on the button for your mount. As the spell gets cast there will be a progress bar. Watch the bar, not the animation. As soon as that bar is 100% filled press 'W' to move... you will move a few feet and dismount because even though the progress bar said you are ready the animation hasn't finished yet.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have experienced this abilty problem. i leveled a sith to 50 it seems to happen more often when cycling through targets as i attack. the one i dislike the most is the Force leap to nowhere near the target and the continued animation after iv killed the target with the Ravage attack. iv since parked that toon and been just messing around with low level toons till sub runs out

Yeah had a friend ragequit in his 20s I never played one but damn he was frustrated.

I play a level 50 Juggernaut pretty successfully, but I have to work my *** off. It's like trying to walk through 4 feet of mud. When an ability doesn't go off when I need it (interrupts) I really feel the ability lag.

Still love the game in spite of it though.

Have you looked at the HeroEngine website? Apparently this is a known issue due to the way the engine was built, and right on the front page they link to an interview where they told Bioware not to use this engine because of delay issues and Bioware told them not to worry about it.

They can't fix this without rewriting the entire game. What a complete and utter fail.

Unbelievable!!!!!

Please link for us.

I started with a BH and then moved to a Jugg. The combat seemed unresponsive but not horrible, then I went to the jugg and could notice it a lot more with riposte. Then I made a sorcerer and holy hell can you ever notice it as that class. It's absolutely brutal. The only thing I can say to people who are claiming they have no issues is they aren't very bright or they've never played an mmo that is is smooth, crisp and responsive. Edited by Griminal

I went there. Like most of this post, it is make believe. Nowhere does the HE creator tell BW not to use the engine. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Its because people lack general knowledge of video games and make absurd stories or news, and or feel its the engines fault when it clearly is not the engines fault.

I went there. Like most of this post, it is make believe. Nowhere does the HE creator tell BW not to use the engine. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Sorry buddy, but for SANE business people, this

“It’s not productized yet,” we told Gordon. “There are whole sections of code that is only roughed in and not optimized for performance or security. And there are very few comments and very little documentation.”

means don't buy the POS.

Its because people lack general knowledge of video games and make absurd stories or news, and or feel its the engines fault when it clearly is not the engines fault.

It is not the engines fault

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Combat

Sorry buddy, but for SANE business people, this

means don't buy the POS.

No that's not at all what that means. What is means is their product was not fully developed at the time. However, with Biowares HUGE development team it wsa not a concern for them as they were going to finish the engine and optimize it for "their special project".

Please read the whole article. You're like a Protestant that picks and reads the parts of the Bible they agree with.

Edited by Klarick

It is not the engines fault

"an overview of the do's and don'ts when architecting systems that require client to server communication, but would create a negative user experience if only synchronous data transfer was relied upon."

Do they say ability delay is because of engine? Nope. its talks about how to avoid delays.

Klarick if you want to see the issue go outdoors and click on the button for your mount. As the spell gets cast there will be a progress bar. Watch the bar, not the animation. As soon as that bar is 100% filled press 'W' to move... you will move a few feet and dismount because even though the progress bar said you are ready the animation hasn't finished yet.

OK did it. Seriously, this is the delay you people are talking about? Loaded up WoW as well. Mounting does the same thing in that game.

Someone PLEASE tell me this is NOT the delay you guys are QQ'ing over. Please tell me.

OK did it. Seriously, this is the delay you people are talking about? Loaded up WoW as well. Mounting does the same thing in that game.

Someone PLEASE tell me this is NOT the delay you guys are QQ'ing over. Please tell me.

Yes WoW does the same thing

@Darth: Engine has it, I'm sorry it's reality, not make believe.

Yes WoW does the same thing

@Darth: Engine has it, I'm sorry it's reality, not make believe.

Show me an actual link with proof that the engine does it. The link you provided did not. No need to spam 6 links when the 1st will do...

Actually wow does not do that, and this is not really the delay they are specifically talking about, it is believed that this is just one example of animation getting in the way actions.

No, we're talking about the ability delay that the developers have acknowledged they are working on:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=141027

No, we're talking about the ability delay that the developers have acknowledged they are working on:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=141027

They have acknowledged that some players are having video issues, some are having sound issues, and some are having issues with load times. However, just like your delay, not everyone is experiencing the issue. Im glad they are working the issue for you few that are being affected by it. Hopefully they will get you going soon.

No that's not at all what that means. What is means is their product was not fully developed at the time. However, with Biowares HUGE development team it wsa not a concern for them as they were going to finish the engine and optimize it for "their special project".

Please read the whole article. You're like a Protestant that picks and reads the parts of the Bible they agree with.

See any other "AAA" developer using it?

One of the biggest names in gaming licenses an engine, that's the best publicity the engine could have ever hoped for.

Yet noone outside of one small time failure (Faxion Online ) and a couple no-name "indie devs" will touch it with a ten foot pole.

Why not?

Because other "AAA" mmo developers have knowledgeable people to tell them if something is worthwhile or not if they don't already know themselves, they don't buy something just because it's cheap and they "think" they can make it work.

Edited by Zorvan

They have acknowledged that some players are having video issues, some are having sound issues, and some are having issues with load times. However, just like your delay, not everyone is experiencing the issue. Im glad they are working the issue for you few that are being affected by it. Hopefully they will get you going soon.

You are the exact type of player this game was developed for. You don't notice the issues of Swtor's broken combat system. I bet Bioware prays they keep 400k - 500k players like yourself in the game for some time. Any serious gamer will tell you that the combat is broken after 5 mins of gameplay. It's a good time to stop deluding yourself. Bioware knows it's broken. They did not say some players have issues with delay. They said the game has issues and they are aware of it.

I know it's been said but I'm just going to throw my hat in the mix and say that it makes PvP really frustrating, especially if you are playing against skilled players. It can easily cause you to not get the kill, cc, interrupt, offensive or defensive cd off. This adds un-needed RNG into the mix. I have the most trouble with Interrupts and Force Cloak (shadow combat stealth) but it has definitely happened with Force Breach, trinkets, Resilience, etc. It's a lot easier to notice from the player perspective when it happens with instant, free, and esp off GCD abilities because you expect and rely on them to happen when you need them too. Obviously abilities in general is a huge issue as well. From my experience it is tied in with the animation. Even though an ability may be off GCD and instant, they can not be cast during particular/other animations.

Def not FPS/video/sound lag. It's simply the ability doesn't get off (forget interrupting at end of cast). Esp when it comes to something like an interrupt, instant, off GCD, and free to cast. That alone will make or break a fight. I haven't experienced anything like that with WoW, it doesn't matter what you were doing, the pummel/kick/counterspell/etc, worked like a charm.

I know they are working with it, I just really wish they would hurry. The higher the gear is getting and the more players are getting better, it's becoming more and more of an issue.