Stacking Power or Critical Hit for Deception Assassion?

ndSinister

I'm a level 27 Deception Assassin and am really confused about this one. I've been inspecting few assassins and noticed that the majority take Power mods over Critical Hit mods. I also read somewhere that Power is good for PvE where Critical Hit is good for PvP. Can somebody shed some light on this one. What should I concentrate on, now that I'm leveling?

Thanks!

Edited by ndSinister

You can only stack crit up to a certain point where any more will add very little to your Crit chance % where as you can stack power endlessly. Where that point is for crit is unknown.

However that usually only applies to level 50's who are able to customize their gear however they want, at your level, I would continue stacking crit, and the gear you are provided will help you do that anyway.

Edited by RacePace

Interesting opinions. Right now my gear is almost completely customizable. I have orange armor almost on every armor slot with focus on Willpower and Crit and I've been somehow unsatisfied with the damage I'm doing and since I have a lot of commendations to spend, I thought maybe I can try changing to Power.

Stack Crit. When you have 30-40% Crit self-buffed, stack Surge. Ignore Power.

I disagree. For maximum burst you need to get around 25-30% crit (w/o buffs) 80-85% surge before before stacking attack. After above stats the effects become diminishing and are not worth pursuing.

This with deception spec.

Edited by Varatesh

ive been lookingforever for answers on this, i have 30% crit atm, with 80% surge(unbuffed), my accuracy is only 2% above so 92% and ive been told that u only need an extra 5% so players dont dodge you for pvp ofcourse. I just recently been pvping' noticed the pve gear and pvp gear vendors, its a mix between power/crit/accuracy/expertise/surge, depending on the set ofcourse. So in my opinion power is still good and accuracy is needed a tiny bit for pvp so they dont dodge u. Im not sure how it all plays out but either im forced to wear these 2 sets 1 pve 1 pvp for end game, or I gimp myself in the end. Also in upcoming patch not sure if its this one, there letting you take the mods from the pve/pvp gear and xfer them to custom gear , the bonus sets go with them too. Still tho not sure how its all supose to play out.

The Assassin's base defense is 10% so you'd need 10% accuracy to hit another Assassin 100% of the time (assuming he has no other defense modifier). I've no idea what's the base defense modifier for other classes, but I assume it's not higher than an Assassin's.

Due to the lack of a parser it's hard to figure out what DPS numbers ought to be like by hand. If you trust the itemization actually make sense, wearing a full set of Battlemaster should be optimal for PvP and you'll get 75% crit modifier from Surge there, and rest will be divided between crit and power. This seems fairly reasonable since I can crit for 4K and I see no reason to believe being able to crit for 5K will kill an enemy any faster, since once they go to 50% it's usually 3-4 moves and they die. Maybe if you're trying to kill a particularly tough healer you need a huge crit to finish them off, but that just isn't something you should plan your gear around.

not talking about auto attaks, talking about special attacks only which ur at 100% not 90% was only listing 92% cause of what the character sheet shows u without scrolling over.

Yes you have 100% base, but they have more than 0% base defense. If their base defense is 10% (Asssassin), you'd need 110% to not miss. I've no idea what non Assassin's base defense is, but presumably it can't be higher than 10%.

Stack Crit. When you have 30-40% Crit self-buffed, stack Surge. Ignore Power.

This is a common mistake. I, too, did this and now I'm here to tell you from experience that power is unbelievably more effective. The overall damage increase from every hit (which appears to scale with crit, btw) will give you higher burst. You will never reach 300K+ damage in a warzone without stacking your power up.

I routinely score between 270k - 310k damage in warzones with a 25% crit rate... w/o access to my client I'm unable to list my surge/power values currently. I just know crit is right over 25%.

This is a common mistake. I, too, did this and now I'm here to tell you from experience that power is unbelievably more effective. The overall damage increase from every hit (which appears to scale with crit, btw) will give you higher burst. You will never reach 300K+ damage in a warzone without stacking your power up.

I routinely score between 270k - 310k damage in warzones with a 25% crit rate... w/o access to my client I'm unable to list my surge/power values currently. I just know crit is right over 25%.

With Deception and Pure Darkness, I agree completely - but wouldn't the 23/0/18 hybrid Raze build benefit from crit rating more than power due to the proc-reliance on crits? It just seems for that specific build the priority would switch to crit rating instead of power. (Obviously you're still going to stack power, but with crit rating first in mind - then when capped, go to power)? With Exploitive Strikes up, a Raze build should be 45-50% crit fully geared, for more reliable proc and burst on Claws of Decay? The hybrid build has a different focus than the others, and if you can't proc Raze reliably, there's no point in taking it.

Power is the worst stat in the game.

It gives no benefit other than slightly more straight up damage; it also takes 5 points to increase bonus damage by 1.

Also note that almost none of your skills scale on a 1:1 basis with bonus damage.

Crit helps with all your buff uptime; the more crit you have, the more valuable surge becomes too.

Crit/surge are the best offstats for every dps spec.