The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Remove Lightsaber Color Restrictions

HundeThutt

I just realized, it's dumb.

Why?

Dark Jedi, throughout time, have used Blue Lightsabers, it's their original saber color.

Such as Anakin, he would have KEPT using a Blue lightsaber if his original had not been destroyed. I guarantee it.

I see the reasoning behind the restriction, but you have... pink lightsabers... So.....

Yeah.

I just don't think red should = Dark Side automatically.

In fact, if you do have restrictions, just prevent non-lightside sith from using blue, but restrict it to only the faction side.

Not morality. Because Sith don't use blue, they just don't. But if you're a lightside Sith, you can.

But if you're a Dark Side Republic Jedi, you should still be able to use blue. But you cannot use red if you're a lightside Republic Jedi. See, that's fair.

So this means, a Light Side Sith can still use red.

So this means, a Dark Side Jedi can still use blue.

Because these colors shouldn't be tied to Morality restrictions, it's not as immersive and doesn't make much sense. Why would a Lightside Sith suddenly STOP using red?

It makes no sense when 80% of your faction, for whatever reason, is using Red Lightsabers.

Anakin's lightsaber wasn't destroyed. Obi-Won-Kenobi took it after he defeated Anakin in the last battle in Episode III. Just a fun fact ;)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no justification for this statement. All Lore (which immersion is based on) says that any force user can use any crystal they want.

You have no argument.

Lore may allow it, but then again u can count on one hand how many jedi/sith went against the tradition.

If they remove the restriction there wil be thousands of people like u out there.

I think you should write to George Lucas himself and ask what he thinks BioWare should do.

I am going to go with remove restriction simply because my imperial agent is neutral. Why? Only way to keep my green color crystals without going all goody two shoes. If I had it my way I would kill any and everything, which would result in my getting beaucoup dark side points... however, I'd never be able to use my green crystal again.

I would have a sad......

Of course if I could find a nice PURPLE crystal (in color, not item quality)... All bets are off.

Lore may allow it, but then again u can count on one hand how many jedi/sith went against the tradition.

If they remove the restriction there wil be thousands of people like u out there.

I think you should write to George Lucas himself and ask what he thinks BioWare should do.

and you can count on one hand the amount of non BW lore that exists at this point in time, short of blowing up planets and killing species completely/eliminating certain families pretty much anything can be done.

and you can count on one hand the amount of non BW lore that exists at this point in time, short of blowing up planets and killing species completely/eliminating certain families pretty much anything can be done.

Which brings us back to lightside/darkside choices having no impact on the world. Thanks for helping me on that point.

I like the restriction bc of tradition. When you go cheer for your favorite sports team you dont wear their jersey in a different color.

I beg to differ on that one. There are a ton of women in Pittsburgh that wear pink or blue steelers jerseys... But then... you see how far that got us this year.

/sidebar

back to our regularly scheduled convo about color restrictions.

I still say remove them. Leave the color to the personal preference, not locked into your "morality".

The irony of it all is on MY server (Lord Adraas), the most popular saber color I see is YELLOW!

You're very wrong on that. But it doesn't matter. Player characters are exceptional individuals. They are expected to be, and usually are, "exceptions" to the rule. No matter what, they will never outnumber the majority. There will always be more characters (NPCs) that follow "traditions". Hell, there will always be more Player characters that follow traditions as well.

And Lucas has already stated what he thinks on the matter. He admits there is no connection between color and alignment. It's purely an aesthetic choice. Unfortunately, just as he doesn't interact with EU, he doesn't interact with TOR either.

Edited by Kashaan

Approve *thumbs up*

One more point to add to the argument is that i, as a assassin with artifice, can craft any color crystals even though i can't use more than half of them...

shouldn't they burn my hand or something if i touch it?

=P

I would be ok with no color restrictions if it came with a penalty. Example: if u use red as a lightside u dont receive the stat the crystal comes with and vise versa.

Edited by Toweleeeie

I would be ok with no color restrictions if it came with a penalty. Example: if u use red as a lightside u dont receive the stat the crystal comes with and vise vera.

Wait, so first you're against it because it "ruins your immersion" (which was false to begin with), but now you're ok with it if there's a penalty involved?

Somebody's a'trollin! :D

In the original trilogy we only see four different light sabers with three different colors: blue (Luke's, originally Vader's), blue (Obi-Wan's), green (Luke's), and red (Vader's). All three characters used blue at some point, the unique colors are just unique colors, the movies say nothing about it.

For fans of the movies, red became associated with the dark side because of Vader, and blue/green became associated with the light side because of Luke and Obi-Wan, but nowhere in the movies is there any indication that the colors are anything other than cosmetic. All the lore about light saber crystals was made up later.

In any case, lore doesn't really matter much here, especially since lore has little to say about light saber color (aside from the EU, which doesn't really count for much).

What matters is that there have to be some restrictions in this game. Should anything be restricted to light/dark side in the game? Why? There's no lore saying so. But in this type of game some restrictions have to be put in place.

Luke used blasters in the movies, so why can't my Jedi Guardian use a blaster? Because this is a game. Han used a light saber once, so why can't my gunslinger equip one? Because this is a game.

What matters is that there have to be some restrictions in this game. Should anything be restricted to light/dark side in the game? Why? There's no lore saying so. But in this type of game some restrictions have to be put in place.

Luke used blasters in the movies, so why can't my Jedi Guardian use a blaster? Because this is a game. Han used a light saber once, so why can't my gunslinger equip one? Because this is a game.

Yes and no. There only need to be restrictions if there is a reason for it.

Weapon choice is completely different from color.

There is a reason that weapons are restricted: combat mechanics. The skills of a class cannot be used with different weapons. You can't slash someone with a blaster pistol. You can't shoot someone with a lightsaber. You can't explode something with Vibrosword.

There is no reason for a restriction on colors to be in place. Hence, the game does not require any restrictions on color.

Wait, so first you're against it because it "ruins your immersion" (which was false to begin with), but now you're ok with it if there's a penalty involved?

Somebody's a'trollin! :D

Let me explain, red crystals are made synthetically with darkside techniques and meditation. This gives red crystals an affinity to the darkside. So if a lightside jedi tried to use a red crystal, it would work but he could not use the force to enhance the saber and his fighting technique.

See what Im saying?

In the original trilogy we only see four different light sabers with three different colors: blue (Luke's, originally Vader's), blue (Obi-Wan's), green (Luke's), and red (Vader's). All three characters used blue at some point, the unique colors are just unique colors, the movies say nothing about it.

For fans of the movies, red became associated with the dark side because of Vader, and blue/green became associated with the light side because of Luke and Obi-Wan, but nowhere in the movies is there any indication that the colors are anything other than cosmetic. All the lore about light saber crystals was made up later.

In any case, lore doesn't really matter much here, especially since lore has little to say about light saber color (aside from the EU, which doesn't really count for much).

how to tell if something should be restricted in an mmo:

Does it affect combat?

yes: restrict it.

no: no restrictions.

color does not affect combat.

Edited by ryathal

There is no reason for a restriction on colors to be in place. Hence, the game does not require any restrictions on color.

Except that there has to be some reason to choose light side vs. dark side in conversation options. In this game, that means that some equipment is restricted based on light/dark levels. That's the reason, but it has nothing to do with lore really.

Edited by SpringDrive

Let me explain, red crystals are made synthetically with darkside techniques and meditation. This gives red crystals an affinity to the darkside. So if a lightside jedi tried to use a red crystal, it would work but he could not use the force to enhance the saber and his fighting technique.

See what Im saying?

Wrong. There have been multiple characters in the SW universe that have made synthetic crystals without "darkside" attunement. Luke Skywalker being one of them.

Except that there has to be some reason to choose light side vs. dark side in conversation options. In this game, that means that some equipment is restricted based on light/dark levels. That's the reason, but it has nothing to do with lore really.

There are reasons: Conversation choice changes, Companion reactions, NPC living/dying, the items on the Lightside/Darkside vendors.

There are already plenty of "reasons" for your choice. Color does not need to be one of them, nor does it have any justification for being one of them.

the magic of an mmo is there doesn't have to be a reason for anything, and the reason can be insanely small if there is one, the titles alone would be sufficient.

Another vote for keeping the lightsaber color crystals the way they are. If you want a red lightsaber, just go darkside. Next you'll be complaining about the "uber gear" on the light side. There's different classes, specs, and atunements for a reason.

There are already plenty of "reasons" for your choice. Color does not need to be one of them

True, but neither is there really an argument for not having color restrictions, other than people wanting certain colors without having to have the alignment requirement. It's just cosmetic.

Frankly I don't care about the color restrictions, yellow is the best color anyway.

Edited by SpringDrive

Force users in the movies and the expanded universe don't necessary change the colour of the lightsaber just because they have changed their alignment (Anakin/Vader does so just because he lost his lightsaber in Episode III and had to make a new, just like Luke switched the colour when he made a new one after losing the same weapon in Episode V). Exar Kun for example is a quite prominent dark side user who had a blue crystal in his lightsaber. So, I think BioWare should drop that restriction (or at least allow Jedi always to use blue and green regardless how dark sided they might become, and vice verse for Sith with red crystals, but anyway no restriction for the non force user classes).

50 toon is darkside and 23 toon is lightside. I have not seen any real difference. You still complete the mission and get your xp and cut scene. The cut scene maybe a little different but its the same result at the end of the day. The consequences out side of color crystals is that u get more money usually for darkside choices. Companions are effect to i guess but can just escape out of it and try the convo again.

So I ask u, have u personally seen an actual change in the story or the world around u for your darkside/lightside choices outside of color crystals/gear?

In the consular start zone if you make the dark side choice you go and kill some fleshraiders and destroy some things which you don't do if you make the light choice.

You also get mail from NPCs telling you how nice a guy you are and stuff, which I like a lot.