Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

LFG Tool is NOT Needed

Thamelas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The LFD crowd won't accept an LFD system without greifer protection, as you can see in this thread. If they truly just wanted an LFD system for fastt groups, they wouldnt all be defending grifer votekick protections.

It really wasnt that hard to get to the truth.

I have participated in most LFD threads since the EGA, and this overgeneralization is simply false. This votekick issue is not shared by as many people as you try to make him think .

You have a good point, but I would counter it by saying that the content would not have been so hard for them if they had formed real groups instead of expecting to steamroll it with random people who aren't cooperating with each other.

And that's what the tool fosters.

Blizzard made some content harder so people could actually learn to play their class again, and people had a hissy fit because they couldn't just drop in with random noobness and grab the easy epix. The content got nerfed, and not just a little bit. And now there are a bunch of people running around feeling cool in their awesome purples with no idea how to work together with other people or even how to play their own class.

When Bioware said that they wanted to push people into socializing and forming an actual community, I smiled. But I knew people would be here crying about it.

im not expecting to 'steamroll' content with pugs. im expecting ACCESS to the content in a REASONABLE amount of time. I also expect people to actually be courteous to one another, coordinate, and follow basic directions.. unfortunately this is a foreign concept to a lot of WoW players.. i know this is a generalization.. but at least on my server it was MOSTLY true.

again, i saw this lack of coordination just as much BEFORE the LFG tool, as I did after. so im sorry, im still not buying your argument.

the problem was that Wrath heroics were (mostly) a joke. people got conditioned to that, and expected that to continue in cata.. blizzard decided that was a mistake and upped the difficulty in cata.. people whined.. i guarantee you that if there was no LFG tool.. this STILL would have happened, and the content STILL would have gotten nerfed.

again, blame the community, not the tools.

Edited by SithInitiate

Well the heavy handed votekick restrictions made me hate LFD, and i do not want to see an LFD like WOW's with those same greifer protections.

Thats fine, if it was really that bad they can change it to not have it. I never had your problem so I don't know first hand how bad it got.

That seems like more of a problem with the restriction not with the tool itself. Just change it and things will be fine.

I have participated in most LFD threads since the EGA, and this overgeneralization is simply false. This votekick issue is not shared by as many people as you try to make him think .

The main reason people don't want LFd is accountability, it's not that ahrd to figure out if you read the LFD threads. the main reason LFD removes accountability is the heavy handed votekick protections. It really isnt that big of a leap in logic.

Not really, in other mmos this type of system did not work well. Wow even tried it at one point.

Also the cross server LFD system helps one sided pop servers or low pop servers in the future who still wants to do content, but has a hard time finding people. while the current system could work. Why not just plan for the future?

I've played other games that used that sort of system and it worked great. Just because Blizzard screwed it up, doesn't mean it's a bad system.

Thats fine, if it was really that bad they can change it to not have it. I never had your problem so I don't know first hand how bad it got.

That seems like more of a problem with the restriction not with the tool itself. Just change it and things will be fine.

Well maybe I was really unlucky but i'd say 40% of my LFD in WoW, i got stuck with griefers, either ninjas, AFkers leechers nasty mouthed jerks ect.

There is absolutely no reason not to allow the majority of the group to remove someone, if they all vote for it.

im not expecting to 'steamroll' content with pugs. im expecting ACCESS to the content in a REASONABLE amount of time. I also expect people to actually be courteous to one another, coordinate, and follow basic directions.. unfortunately this is a foreign concept to a lot of WoW player.. i know this is a generalization.. but at least on my server it was MOSTLY true.

again, i saw this lack of coordination just as much BEFORE the LFG tool, as I did after. so im sorry, im still not buying your argument.

the problem was that Wrath heroics were (mostly) a joke. people got conditioned to that, and expected that to continue in cata.. blizzard decided that was a mistake and upped the difficulty in cata.. people whined.. i guarantee you that if there was no LFG tool.. this STILL would have happened, and the content STILL would have gotten nerfed.

again, blame the community, not the tools.

Bingo, we have a winner.

If I want to spend two hours playing the game today, and I feel like doing a flashpoint. I want to be able to log in and get it setup easy to play. I don't want to log in and Maybe get a group. Or maybe find friends on that feel like doing it.

LFD is not needed when I'm playing my heal specced Sith Sorc.

LFD is needed when I play my dps specced Sith Sorc.

LFD is needed when I'm playing during off hours.

LFD is not needed when I play during peak hours.

LFD cross server would be nice, because I get to meet people from other servers.

If I want to spend two hours playing the game today, and I feel like doing a flashpoint. I want to be able to log in and get it setup easy to play. I don't want to log in and Maybe get a group. Or maybe find friends on that feel like doing it.

I agree 200%. This guy knows what he's talking about.

No >>>---arrow---> to the knee for you Sir.

Edited by Gehoornde

The main reason people don't want LFd is accountability, it's not that ahrd to figure out if you read the LFD threads. the main reason LFD removes accountability is the heavy handed votekick protections. It really isnt that big of a leap in logic.
Those are separate concerns. Anyway that has zero credibility - coming from the same crowd who likes to point a mere recruiting tool as a community destroyer.

I've played other games that used that sort of system and it worked great. Just because Blizzard screwed it up, doesn't mean it's a bad system.

People in city of heros had it for the longest of time, and they are now starting to do the queue system.

The problem with the system is that, it still does not solve the problem of people having a limited time to play, or even getting people to use it. That and the other two problems I listed.

The Queue system has way to many good things that it does to help a mmo over bad.

I don't want to see all of the content become boring and faceroll just because you don't like other people. If you can't be bothered to deal with other people, you should play a single-player game.

That's all.

What part of, "It's already a giant faceroll" do you not understand? Flashpoints are easier than any dungeon in WoW.

Those are separate concerns. Anyway that has zero credibility - coming from the same crowd who likes to point a mere recruiting tool as a community destroyer.

What are you talking about? recruiting tool? i dont even know what that is.

I am discussing LFD and heavy handed votekick protections, maybe you belong in a different thread about recruiting tools or whatever.

If you want to address my point, go ahead, but don't give me garbage like this.

I've got a group, I just don't want to waste my time with getting anymore.

If you think this game is tougher than wow, you are just being a fanboy. Wow has went through a lot of changes to make it tougher for players like myself and still keep it friendly to others. Wow's content is alot more diverse and tougher over the hard modes we have now. Unless the bugs in it is suppose to make it tougher.

Your wow hate is blinding you.

LOL I don't hate WoW. Why would I play a game for almost 7 years if I hated it..?

Without WoW's success in the genre, this game wouldn't have been possible.

Name one change they made to make things tougher. Certainly none of the 5 mans are. They're ridiculously easy. And yes... They're easier than this in a lot of spots. "Diverse" would be subjective. That's your opinion and I won't argue it.

But if you like that game so much still, go back and play it instead of trying to turn this game into it. WoW is in a steady decline now, and I'm betting the ratio of decline is directly tied to the amount of catering they're doing to casuals. Casuals come and go... They're not the gamers that are the most likely to devote 7 years to one game. They'll get distracted by some shiny that some other game company waves at them. Granted, they make up the biggest part of the population, but it isn't a steady part of it. There's going to be a lot of turnover. And those crazy people that play the same game for 7 years.... What are you going to do when you alienate them? They only got the casuals in the first place because the hardcore people were so frantic about the game that the casuals had to check it out. Without the hardcore interest in it, it probably would never have made a blip on the casual radar.

So, great. Tell me what is so hard in WoW, other than the highest tier of raids..? Tons of hardcore raiders have defected already. What's going to keep them around...?

PANDAS...?!?!??

What are you talking about? recruiting tool? i dont even know what that is.

I am discussing LFD and heavy handed votekick protections, maybe you belong in a different thread about recruiting tools or whatever.

If you want to address my point, go ahead, but don't give me garbage like this.

First of all, calm down

Secondly, the LFD is a tool for recruitment. It replaces the channel spam. What did you think it was doing?

First of all, calm down

Secondly, the LFD is a tool for recruitment. It replaces the channel spam. What did you think it was doing?

So you are saying accountability in a group and LFD with heavy handed votekicks are separate concerns? I do not agree with that, care to explain your point a little betteR?

LOL I don't hate WoW. Why would I play a game for almost 7 years if I hated it..?

Name one change they made to make things tougher. Certainly none of the 5 mans are. They're ridiculously easy. And yes... They're easier than this in a lot of spots. "Diverse" would be subjective. That's your opinion and I won't argue it.

But if you like that game so much still, go back and play it instead of trying to turn this game into it. WoW is in a steady decline now, and I'm betting the ratio of decline is directly tied to the amount of catering they're doing to casuals. Casuals come and go... They're not the gamers that are the most likely to devote 7 years to one game. They'll get distracted by some shiny that some other game company waves at them. Granted, they make up the biggest part of the population, but it isn't a steady part of it. There's going to be a lot of turnover. And those crazy people that play the same game for 7 years.... What are you going to do when you alienate them? They only got the casuals in the first place because the hardcore people were so frantic about the game that the casuals had to check it out. Without the hardcore interest in it, it probably would never have made a blip on the casual radar.

So, great. Tell me what is so hard in WoW, other than the highest tier of raids..? Tons of hardcore raiders have defected already. What's going to keep them around...?

PANDAS...?!?!??

It could easily be argued that the 180 from wrath to cata alienated the casuals and thats where the decline is coming from.

What part of, "It's already a giant faceroll" do you not understand? Flashpoints are easier than any dungeon in WoW.

LMAO!!! Right... This just tells me that you haven't done the hardmode flashpoints.

WoW is so easy mode that a random group of 5 noobs can faceroll the heroics. Drop 4 random people into a hardmode flashpoint and all they're going to get out of it is a ton of repair bills.

So you are saying accountability in a group and LFD with heavy handed votekicks are separate concerns? I do not agree with that, care to explain your point a little betteR?
Even with the absence of those "heavy handed votekicks", the fear of the lack of accountability would remain. That's what I meant by separate. Now you can find a link between them, but again, in many other LFD threads that popped since the EGA, the votekick point was hardly mentioned.

Way to deflect the subject here and your generalization.

wait. so an LFD tool magically takes the difficulty away in heroics?? how?

'well in WoW, once they made the LFG tool, stuff got nerfed..'

or maybe its because people whined at the difficulty? you know they can do this without the LFG tool right?

i keep saying this over and over.. dont put the blame on the tool.. put the blame where it belongs.. on the community creating the environment in the first place..

Watch, flashpoints will get nerfed before a LFD tool comes out... then they can finally shut up that the root cause is the tool.

PANDAS...?!?!??

The Cata heroics even after the nerf I find it a lot more enjoyable, and tougher. I mean it's not like mmos are hard itself, but the hard mode in this game is really easy because the classes themselves are pretty basic compare to wow.

With how the classes are setup (Imo a very simpler version of wow classes some like mara even have a lot of the same moves) and how simple the content is right now. This game right now is design for people who are new to mmos. It's pretty face roll easy.

I mean I'm sure it will change in the future, but don't act like wow is so easy, when this game itself is even more so.

YOU may think it's easy mode.

I guarantee you that random groups of people dropped into the hardmode flashpoints aren't going to agree.

But you haven't even cleared the content yourself. You're just going on what someone else told you. They ran guild groups and managed it... Well goollllllllly geee!!

And yet you still seem to think a random pug is going to just roll through...?

How exactly do you expect people to practice a flashpoint without being able to get a group for it.

You know why WoW dungeons seems easier? Because people actually got to see them and learn them. They knew what to do the next time they went in there.

Either LFG in chat and pug, join a guild, or make some friends.

No game needs a auto feature to make a party.

Stop being unsocial and lazy and do it yourself.

How about no? Enough of tasks delaying or denying the enjoyment unnecessarily.

And fyi, even with a LFD, the ways you mention will still be there.