Why did Bioware choose the hero engine?

Mookiethejookie

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope its still the hero engine, just a alpha version of it. It still utilizes all the core aspects that made the engine terrible for game development (using flash language for GUI.... really who thought that was a good idea)

Uh..well, Bethesda for one does think thats a good idea.

Hey everybody! Lets make a mmo! YEEEEEEEEE HHHHHAAAAAWWWW!!! | Today , 01:45 AM

First we gonna use our secret weapon , voice talkin .

Our quest givers gonna talk and that make people want ta pay money! Yeeeee haaaaw!

Den we gonna add exzaustion zones!!! aint no man can travel across the desert on a speeder so it makes sense!!!

We gonna make Huttball!! like da NFL!!!! And people gonna play it all day long! den maybe we have a heisman trophy for the winner! yeeeeeeeaaaaa haaaaaw!

Den we gonna add jawas Yeeeee haaaaw!

Den we gonna load up those screen all the time cause a feller needs a bathroom break!

Den we gonna add living mounts if we can find out ha to do it yeeeee haaaaw!

Den we gonna give our special friends that pre order a ugliest possible crystal color!!!!

Yeeeee haaaaw!

Edited by Mookiethejookie

they made it heavily instanced by choice?

Heck ya.

If you had a clue about what you're talking about instead of spewing the same pablum as can be found on complainers blog...

You would understand why.

Team collaborative development. I believe that's the key reason why they took it. Also when they made the choice they probably didn't do so out of laziness more like because resources were spread thin with ME and DA in development, ME using URE3 and DA using the Bioware-engineered however singleplayer-optimized Eclipse engine. None of these engines did have the tools to develop an MMO and even Blizzard used makeshift tools first which showed in their old world design which also initially prohibited the idea of flying.

Our quest givers gonna talk and that make people want ta pay money! Yeeeee haaaaw!

Den we gonna add exzaustion zones!!! aint no man can travel across the desert on a speeder so it makes sense!!!

We gonna make Huttball!! like da NFL!!!! And people gonna play it all day long! den maybe we have a heisman trophy for the winner! yeeeeeeeaaaaa haaaaaw!

Den we gonna load up those screen all the time cause a feller needs a bathroom break!

Den we gonna give our special friends that pre order a ugliest possible crystal color!!!!

Yeeeee haaaaw!

I love you.

Yeeeee haaaaw!

Many laughs. +1

as you can see most of the succesfull games created theyr own graphic engine

wow uses the warcraft 3 improved engine and skyrim uses another one modified by bethesda to make that game

its important that if you want to your game to have a "special feeling" you must create your own graphic engine to make it feel that way

Edited by Stormag

None of these engines did have the tools to develop an MMO and even Blizzard used makeshift tools first which showed in their old world design which also initially prohibited the idea of flying.

no they didn't, they deliberately cut corners to save time

Why did they choose a engine that is so heavily instanced instead of building their own like Blizzard did?

Im just wondering because I keep hearing about all the money they spent and the heart of this game the main engine seems very cheap.

Any reason for this?

Because Simutronics deserves the business after all these years pioneering MMO gaming, from away back in the darker, twilit morning of ASCII, when all men had were their dreams. The volunteers who developed the Hero engine over the years deserve praise and admiration, after so many thankless years on the frontiers.

Huzzah! Gemstone Warrior and Dragonrealms!!! Huzzah!

I was in the beta for Stargate Worlds, an attempt to mix the Unreal engine with BigWorlds Tech (client-server engine much like HeroEngine), and it failed miserably. Ultimately the game didn't see the light, not because of it's engine but the company which developed it, and it's corrupt CEO.

It wasn't the first attempt to use a FPS engine on a RPG... Square did this with The Last Remnant, and while the game was good, it was plagued with lots of lenghtly loading screens.

Too bad Bioware didn't expand their Eclipse engine and add multiplayer features to it.

Edited by Orisai

In response to everyone who dismisses this argument with the "...the go play something else" comment, all I have to say is this: Star Wars is a universe of conflict. Good vs. Evil. An MMO based on the Star Wars universe should have conflict, and the larger the scale the better. This engine can't handle it, Bioware knows it.

Well I'm not very technical when it comes to engines but in my honest opinion, the hero engine fails in almost every possible way on delivering an enjoyable MMO experience.

1. While it does produce large zones, these zones are empty and lack any kind of environmental detail.

2. Textures are poor quality and generally unappealing.

3. The game can't handle expansive vistas with many details. That's why designers were forced to build "levels" rather than "worlds".

4. The engine can't handle multiple people in the same areas at the same time very well.

5. It's hugely inefficient with the available resources. Systems that play BF3 just fine, stutter and lag in SWTOR.

TERA is build with the Unreal 3 engine and it looks amazing, plays amazing and has a seamless world, much more so then SWTOR. Comat is much much much more dynamic (No targetting) Animations are smoother, and runs pretty much better on my machine then SWTOR does?

Too many clueless posts about the Unreal Engine here. Its by far the most advanced engine to-date, only rivaled by the CryEngine 3.

Edited by Tunedbeats

Why did they choose it?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they hired industry experts to look at all the available options and weigh the pros and cons of each.

After considerable research into those options they choose the hero engine because they believe it was the best choice for them.

But hey, I have no doubt that the guys on the forums who have never developed a game in their life know better. I mean the remote rendering thread clearly showed how tech savy the people in the forums are :rolleyes:

OP clearly does not know that no developer ever uses a stock Engine.

An engine is merely a group of coding tools. When games claim to use a specific engine, they mean they are using that engine as a base. That does not mean they don't modify it by adding their own custom tools on top of it.

So cute to hear players talk about things they are clueless about.

You just described almost everyone who posts here, probably including yourself, and the majority of the general chat geniuses in-game too. Nicely done!

TERA is build with the Unreal 3 engine and it looks amazing, plays amazing and has a seamless world, much more so then SWTOR. Comat is much much much more dynamic (No targetting) Animations are smoother, and runs pretty much better on my machine then SWTOR does?

Too many clueless posts about the Unreal Engine here. Its by far the most advanced engine to-date, only rivaled by the CryEngine 3.

Exactly people dont even know, oh swtor looks great oh hero engine is just fine.... no actually its not lol.

Theres a reason these other big companies developing new innovative mmo's are using cry engine or Unreal or a custom in house engine for their needs.

People need to understand that its because they are top of the line and the best for the job.

Hero engine is like a kia trying to compete with ferrai they just dont got the power under the hood to come close to matching them.

Why did they choose a engine that is so heavily instanced instead of building their own like Blizzard did? Any reason for this?

The reason is the same as why they hired zombies to work at their customer service: They are clueless about how to make a MMO.

Yeeeee haaaaw!

Then we're going to make millions of dollars while people who barely make $30K/yr trash-talk on the forums! Yeee haaaw!

People still hating on the Hero engine?

When you make something better that actually functions with thousands of other players let us know. Unreal has been around forever. Should not compare FPS game engines to engines made for MMOs.

Bioware has a license to use Unreal, and they could of done that. I don't know if it would of cost more or what, but the decision was smart. Building an MMO on unreal sounds horrible

People still hating on the Hero engine?

When you make something better that actually functions with thousands of other players let us know. Unreal has been around forever. Should not compare FPS game engines to engines made for MMOs.

Bioware has a license to use Unreal, and they could of done that. I don't know if it would of cost more or what, but the decision was smart. Building an MMO on unreal sounds horrible

You should actually research what games use unreal engine because the top mmo's in dev right now are using it lol.

Aion uses cry engine and I could pvp with hundreds literally HUNDREDS of people on my screen with everything cranked and it was smooth as silk.

You have no clue what you are talking about at all.

You should actually research what games use unreal engine because the top mmo's in dev right now are using it lol.

Aion uses cry engine and I could pvp with hundreds literally HUNDREDS of people on my screen with everything cranked and it was smooth as silk.

You have no clue what you are talking about at all.

No Developer uses a stock engine. Every engine used by developers becomes custom. It's no different with the Hero engine. There's a reason that games that use the Unreal engine don't operate the same or look the same as the Unreal games.

The Hero engine is just a base. There are no limitations because of it since they can just add coding tools as they see fit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.